PDA

View Full Version : 85 tecate info needed

tri-z_250R
07-11-2007, 10:01 PM
Ok, well heres the thing. I havent been on here much (side tracked from the forum sadly), but heres the thing, I am pretty set on buying an 85 tecate for a very nice price that I can't pass up, and knowing the tecate, they can be hard to come by (right?).

Anyways. here's the deal, since not being on here much, I have a few question to get my mind back on three wheelers, some history, and other much needed info. Kinda rusty if you know what I mean. Plus I never knew a whole lot about the tecate.

So here it is. I am told some parts from the 85 are interchangable with the 84? Also, i'd like to know, if any, what other modles of ATV's parts interchange?

Next. What are some good sites to get some new parts from? I know denniskirk and hyperparts, but I cant remember any others if any that I've seen before. The things I'd be looking to replace would mostly consist of motor parts to rebuild the motor and things like clutch plates, carb kits, bearings, gaskets ect. I already looked on denniskirk for a carb kit but I couldn't find one. I don't really care about plastics or appearance yet.

Next thing. What do you guys run for oil in gas, and for the gears? What's a good mixing ratio for gas and oil? Is there anything that the tecate was infomous for? (e.g. mechanical problems? or breaking anything?) Anything I should watch out for? What is the common spark plug type?

And lastly is there anyone on here that has some parts laying around, that they don't need, and would like to sell them in a couple of weeks after I pick this thing up and figure out what if anything that I'll need? That would be awesome.

Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out. sorry for all the questions, I'm mostly a honda guy... and like I said I'm very much in need of some re-education.

iowarotax
07-11-2007, 10:10 PM
Is that the Tecate in Maple Lake, the one on craigslist? I talked to him a few times, and it had some flywheel issues. But it was cheap, like $300.00. Anyway good luck. Alot of guys that have Tecates will help you out here.

tri-z_250R
07-11-2007, 10:18 PM
What kind of issues? Like it needs a new one? Sheared key? Shouldnt be too bad, but yea it's that one.

BigGreenMachine
07-11-2007, 10:18 PM
I have some good motor parts here for you, check out my classifieds in my sig.

Denniskirk and Rockymountainatv are great for parts.

The 86 Tecate swingarm and adjustable linkage will bolt on to give you +2 swingarm. 86 Tecate complete axle/carrier/sprocket and disc will bolt on as well which can be fitted with 400ex hubs.

I'm sure there is more...

iowarotax
07-11-2007, 10:26 PM
Yeah, I think he said something about some new parts for the stator and when he tried to start it , it lost spark. Didnt sound to serious. I was trying to get up there to get it, but never got the time. It looked like a pretty decent trike. Glad its not getting parted out.

tri-z_250R
07-11-2007, 10:38 PM
Yea I asked him if he still had it, and he told me (god forbid) he was going out of town for three weeks or something the next day. So now I have to wait, and I decided I'd try and get as much Info. as possible. Its still a good price so... I want it! haha.

ccdhowell
07-12-2007, 08:57 AM
Spark plug = B8ES
Lots of little things will interchange with the KX250 and KX500 bikes. Shocks off of several other things will work. Front caliper can be replaced by a Raptor 660 rear one. Many, but not all, new parts are available from Dennis Kirk, I have the best luck getting parts from Bike Bandit. I have a stock headpipe and stock airbox, some green fork boots all of which I'd be happy to part with. Good luck getting a Tecate, you won't regret it. Chris

tri-z_250R
07-12-2007, 07:59 PM
Anyone else have some helpful tips/advice? Can anyone answer my other questions? Thanks for everyones help so far. ccdhowell, and BigGreenMachine I'll most likely have some business for you guys in a few weeks (keep an eye on those P.M.'s )

BigGreenMachine
07-12-2007, 09:47 PM
ATF type F tranny fluid will work fine for the gear oil.

Any quality oil mixed at 32:1 will be fine. Klotz BeNol is something I would recommend.

All the Tecates are famous for their bad flywheels. The flywheel magnets are glued on. Once the glue ets loose the magnets fall off (while running) and destroy the stator coils. Other then that there aren't any problems with them?

Rickey Stator makes replacement flywheels and stator plates/coils.

Upgrade the carb to a 39mm PWK or even a PWK off a 85/86 Honda 250R.