PDA

View Full Version : Well Crap!!!! Another kick in the pants!

Mosh
07-11-2007, 09:45 PM
This is what is left of my clutches in My Bigbore Tri-z:( .
Thanks Alot Sprock:D
These were brand new,, I wont name the company,But not cheapos.They have about 10-14 hours on em.
I guess I need to go with something much stronger.
My basket is brand new as well.Evrything is tight in this engine,So no problems there.
Any Ideas on Real strong clutches for the Tri-z???
I think we are gonna need em with these Bigbore kits from Sprock.
I was gonna Try Some Barnett Kevlars.Any input??
Or should I just put a 250 cc topend back on this thing:D
Oh yeah My sprockets are trashed too already:crazy:
All this stuff was new When I put the Bike Together.
I always ran these Products on My banshee's For years with no problems.

Bryan Raffa
07-11-2007, 10:07 PM
:( Join The Club On The Clutch.....bummer

ATC-Eric
07-11-2007, 11:11 PM
Man that sucks!!!!

Ive been told that the aftermarket kits are crap. To my knowledge the stock pads are the best.

Let me know how it goes, Ill have my kit eventually........:rolleyes:

Come on Cory GET TO WORK!!!!! :lol:

InPiEcEs
07-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Wow......that sucks!! Been there once.
Happened on my triple 2-stroke Kawi streetbike. It's a KH400, modded to the tune of nearly 60 horsepower, from the rated 38. It had the stock plates in it, and the frictions were some kind of phenolic resin or something. They weren't metal-bonded frictions, some wierd plastic like stuff instead of metal they called Phenolic resin at the dealer.
They came apart like that, and I replaced them with a Barnett Kevlar kit.
It hasn't failed me yet, though my basket has..............
Unless that was what blew up on you was the Barnett stuff, try it out.
That's the only thing I use besides stock, unless I can't get it for a certain machine, and it's held up to some pretty good abuse.

tecat-z
07-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Go oem, those same plates were used in numerous 250 and 490 cc bikes. You're actually pulling yours apart. Sometimes oem quality components are the only safe choice. Oh and by the way, that tri-z really looks and runs impressive, you did a great job.

Mosh
07-12-2007, 07:17 AM
Thanks for the input guys.
They were not Barnett's,That is why I was considering.
I priced OEM ones,But whooo.They are proud of them.
My cost is 12 bucks each for the fibers alone and I am a dealer.
Can anyone tell me,If the fiber plates on Oem are bonded on steel or aluminum?
I have not seen oem plates yet.
The ones that broke are some kinda composite aluminum.
I am worried I have the same outcome as INpeices,,Beef up the plates Then shatter a basket.
When Sprock gets the billet baskets done I will be getting a few.No doubt there.
Did you smoke the plates in the 490 RAffa? Or you talkin about the MX motor of yours.
Thanks for the compliment Tecatz.I hope to be beefing the motor even more and drag pipe it on alky this winter.380 long rod full on drag porting:D

Bryan Raffa
07-12-2007, 07:26 AM
ya the mx bike... the 490 is all new also..there barnett disks and holding up good... I got a set of thoes alum ones off e-bay.. there really light.. but opted not to use them..just for that reason..OEM,barnett,Vesrah, are all good and hold up well..

SWIGIN
07-12-2007, 05:00 PM
my only problem with Barnett clutches (unless they changed them) is that they are thinner then the stock plates and seem to groove the basket faster.

another thing....you didn't say if you had heavy duty springs in the bike.

i do think Barnett makes the best clutch springs hands down and have them in every bike i own or will own.

Mosh
07-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Yeah I had heavy duty springs.I dont mind the cutch basket grooving,Cuz we will be getting stronger billet ones shortly.
I wanna be able to luanch this thing hard.And not worrie about the clutch.
I figured on burning one up once a year,But to have this happen in such a short time sucks.

Still,, anyone know if the stock plates are steel or aluminum.(the fiber plates)

ATC-Eric
07-12-2007, 05:41 PM
I can let you know about the plates in an hour. Ill be around my old stockers then.

Mosh
07-12-2007, 05:45 PM
I can let you know about the plates in an hour. Ill be around my old stockers then.
Please and thanks:)

Yamahondaman
07-12-2007, 05:53 PM
I Have the "stock" fibers in my RAG with Barnett Springs since "02".. they were ALLMOST NEW From the 6-speed Trike i got off E-Bay .. "Lonesome00"'s ... i have run them ONLY in Sand Drag's,Hill Climb's with them NASTY TALLER HALLERS...
O.E.M. is the way to go ... the "Dirt Digger" Barnett thing's have Kevlar in them ...
Kevlar gets into the internal things in your Motor ... WEARS IT OUT ... but LOTS of people swear by the Kevlar and NEVER have had a Problem ... I HAVE ...

Mosh
07-12-2007, 05:58 PM
Thanks Brother.I was leaning towards the oem set-up I just needed The input on them.No internal trashing here.I will take your word for it.
Now I gots to GIT me some ordered.another wise man always told me the oems were the way to go as well.Guess I gotta listen to the "experienced ones":beer

hrc85250r
07-12-2007, 06:08 PM
it looks to me like you bought a bad kit, and i can tell you it isnt the fact that you have a big bore that caused this. it looks like you broke a friction plate and that in turn cause the clutches to slip and burn up.the best solution is to go with a stock or barnett clutch even if that was a barnett. ebc will and do burn quick in any bike. use some heavy duty clutch springs and you may have to go with springs from another bike since this is a tri-z. i would buy brand new factory metal plates too.

Yamahondaman
07-12-2007, 06:12 PM
OH !!!! and there's a Difference in oil !!! :naughty: ..
Here in Fla. i use Valvoline 10-40,20-50 in the "so called" Winter ...
in the Summer i use STRAIGHT kendall or Valvoline Racing 50 ...
NEVER had a Problem and it's Cheaper than the Cycle Shop Synthetic Oils

1upfront
07-12-2007, 06:29 PM
Hey man I hope you get your bike back rippin soon, I also think OEM is always your best bet for clutch plates and I agree with Ron on your tranny oil I swear by non synthetic oil, when it comes to conditioning your crank seal and other seals theres nothing better:)

BigGreenMachine
07-12-2007, 06:55 PM
Would the heavier springs cause the clutch to burn up faster? What with the extra force applied I would think it would wear the plates faster.

ATC-Eric
07-12-2007, 07:16 PM
Well Rob, Im 99% sure what I have here are stock plates. There is a T2 stamped on one of the teeth.

Anyways, one of them by itself is pretty lite, and I cant get a magnet to stick=aluminium.

Hope this helps, good luck!

Mosh
07-13-2007, 06:32 AM
Well thanks again guys.I was thinking maybe it was a bad kit from stamping.Weak material.The clucthes never slipped.I did some passes on it and it started ticking loudly.So it just snapped.Actuall I was Racing a 310 R when it happened.I won But at the expense of this:lol: .
I was using heavy duty springs.
I never run that expensive oil.I always use Valvoline or AGIP 10-40 motor oil.
I have never tried 50w.I will give it a shot for the summer months.
I am gonna just get a whole stock system,And I am gonna size up Banshee Heavy duty springs with the Z springs.Maybe I will switch over to them.
And I did soak these in oil before install and I also broke them in for about 1 hour before I started working them harder.
Must have just been a bad part.I have never had this happen to me before and when stuff does I like to know why to avoid future problems.Thanks I will let you know the outcome.

max
07-13-2007, 10:31 AM
You won that time:mad:

Make sure that PP gets torked evenly. It really sounds like something was warped, or not flat to begin with. You know as well as I do. New doesnt always mean good!!:beer

When we meet again my friend, things will be different. Yeah, I was sniffin your ass. But I was close enough to tell you you drank 6 MHL's and ate two sloppy joes and a handful of funyons.......thats pretty damn close. And....if your sh&t messes up again......well....you better sell it and get a Honda beeeotch.

Yamahondaman
07-13-2007, 03:47 PM
Would the heavier springs cause the clutch to burn up faster? What with the extra force applied I would think it would wear the plates faster.

HECK NO ... the STONGER the springs ... the BETTER !! the only flaw is you need a GOOD working easy pull Clutch Lever to compensate ... the stock perch is TOUGH to pull in with STRONG Springs ... i have the RTC from Balwin Racing "very EXPENSIVE" !! but in the past few years there have been other Manufacturers that have cheaper "EASY PULL" Clutch Perches.... the STRONGER the Springs .. "like a LOCKOUT" the BETTER .. what DESTROY's the Fiber's is Slippage,old oil and Glazing ....

Mosh
07-13-2007, 05:33 PM
Hey Ronnie! Ever Try a stock Banshee clucth lever and perch??? They are ugly But long, and great for heavy pull clutches.:)

Dirtcrasher
07-13-2007, 06:12 PM
I don't think your oil caused this. They completely shattered which leads me to believe it was a metal fatigue issue. Sounds like they were cast aluminum and porous.