PDA

View Full Version : 350 Oddy cylinder on a aircooler???pics

petesatc
07-10-2007, 09:27 AM
Well i found this NOS oddy cylinder on my endless search for parts in dealers...it got me thinking instead of a 360 mugen kit how about a oddy cylinder which is 350cc i have got a new piston and rings etc ....it would need a bit of work on the cases but you need to do the same work for the mugen to fit.....
my question anyone seen this mod done before??? and should i use a nos cylinder on it as it's worth at least $500 on ebay.......and will it make the fooler unrideable????:crazy: :crazy:

SYKO
07-10-2007, 10:00 AM
what needs to be done to make it fit? does the sleeve hit the cases? do the studs line up? why would it ake it unridable? they have 350 PV kits for the liquid R's and there ridable, I say throw caution in front a train and go FOR IT!

oldsking86
07-10-2007, 10:22 AM
Now that's creative! Though I'd save the NOS one because it is worth bucks, can you find a used one still?

petesatc
07-10-2007, 10:39 AM
what needs to be done to make it fit? does the sleeve hit the cases? do the studs line up? why would it ake it unridable? they have 350 PV kits for the liquid R's and there ridable, I say throw caution in front a train and go FOR IT!

the sleeve hits the cases it would need some small machining to make fit...not a problem i have millers in work or i'll ask a buddy to it....you would have to mill the same as a mugen so i know it can be done...all the other bolts line up perfectly....as for unridable....the only fooler i have is a 82 which is hard enough to ride fast without the extra HP.....
i could find used oddy cylinder if needed but there pretty rare as well......

1upfront
07-10-2007, 10:47 AM
Ooooo your getting me all excited I've always wanted to do this, ok I got you some specs on both motors.
FL350r bore 78.5mm
stroke 68.0mm
ATC250r bore70.0mm
stroke64.4mm
If I were to do this I would get the wholes where the crank pin goes welded up and have them re-drilled 3.6mm lower only i'd purchase a FL350 connecting rod and lower pin and have them drilled for that pin, then you would need the cases machined to fit the bore of the cylinder but I think you've already figured that out, also with the extra stroke you would need you might need the crank case halves bored as well. Oh and two other things I considered one is using a 300r head to allow room for your exhaust and the other is to buy a used FL350 counter balancer to have modified to work on the ATC motor, because if your going this far you might as well go all the way, that would be awsome:naughty: :naughty:

petesatc
07-10-2007, 04:52 PM
Ooooo your getting me all excited I've always wanted to do this, ok I got you some specs on both motors.
FL350r bore 78.5mm
stroke 68.0mm
ATC250r bore70.0mm
stroke64.4mm
If I were to do this I would get the wholes where the crank pin goes welded up and have them re-drilled 3.6mm lower only i'd purchase a FL350 connecting rod and lower pin and have them drilled for that pin, then you would need the cases machined to fit the bore of the cylinder but I think you've already figured that out, also with the extra stroke you would need you might need the crank case halves bored as well. Oh and two other things I considered one is using a 300r head to allow room for your exhaust and the other is to buy a used FL350 counter balancer to have modified to work on the ATC motor, because if your going this far you might as well go all the way, that would be awsome:naughty: :naughty:

thanks for that info you saved me alot of work...i was also thinking about a CR crank?? maybe a CR480 ???? i think it's has the same size con rod not sure it will fit in the cases without alot of modding????

Billy Golightly
07-10-2007, 05:11 PM
If the wristpin diameters are the same on both the FL and ATC engines, use the R crankshaft and just shave 4mm off the bottom of the FL jug and your port timings will be back where they belong.

1upfront
07-10-2007, 05:27 PM
They are the same diameter I have a FL350 wrist pin bearing in my 300r right now the reason I did it is I was shopping online at bike bandit.com and realized that the ATC250r bearing was $17.53 and the FL350 bearing was only $13.53 so I just took a chance and ordered the FL bearing and it's identical so thats what I used. Also I think Billy has an excellent solution to your cylinder port timing issues:)