PDA

View Full Version : VERY hard to start (very) how do I fix this little snagle?

bigb9000
07-07-2007, 10:13 PM
Yup, 3-wheeler in question is a 86 350x. you can sit there and kick and kick and kick, play with the chocke, play with the throttle, kick some more, full gas while kicking, it will not start on its own.

Spray some starter fluid in there, it starts right up. Then, after the starter fluid starting, it will continue to start first kick all day. Untill it sits over night, then its kick, kick, kick, kick....

oh, when i say kick, i mean kick start.

Am I doing something wrong? is there some kind of prefered starting method? Or a way your SUPPOSED to start it?

or is something broken/cloged somewhere?

RedRider_AK
07-07-2007, 10:25 PM
Your needle and seat might be leaking, causing it to flood out. Honestly, I have no idea. I've heard the 350X is a very cold-blooded and tempermental machine when it comes to starting it, but...

honda_atc200es
07-07-2007, 11:08 PM
my brothers quad is like that could be that the pilot jet is too small, that your idle is too low or that your plug is bad most likely it is jetting or your carb though give the carb a thorough cleaning, check your fuel lines check your float which might be too high as said before. i tried everything on my brothers quad before i found out the plug was bad. its all about trial and error.

4cylinders
07-08-2007, 12:08 AM
hey, first check the valves, then the enrichment/choke circuit.

bigb9000
07-08-2007, 04:02 AM
hey, first check the valves, then the enrichment/choke circuit.

what would be the proper steps for doing that?

ATC-Eric
07-08-2007, 04:10 AM
It may just be the regular 350x. With mine, you have to kick it just right to start it up. My friend can sit there for 10-20 kicks without starting it, I will give it one and it starts. My X dosent have the decompression cable, so it gets EXTRA fun when its warm.

Like I said, you have to kick mine just right to start it, maybe you havent found the perfect kick yet.

Howdy
07-08-2007, 10:51 AM
It could be hard to start because of weak spark. We had a 350x that we replaced the CDI box and stator on and it fixed the weak spark. It now starts nicely.
Howdy

DIGGER DOG
07-08-2007, 11:59 AM
If it runs well after you finally get it running with the starting fluid I would say check your valve lash on most of the bikes ive worked on if after i clean carb,gas tank,fuel lines and replace spark plug and it is still hard to start usually a valve adjustment does the trick.
My routine at work is first check for spark second check compression third check for fuel although recently I find myself checking fuel first as bad gas is usually the result I had a ttr 125 that had bad gas in the bowl ,flushed it and replaced fouled plug and taa daa unit ran great.
but like I stated if you have fire,fuel and compression and it is still hard to start do a valve adjustment also check your intake for cracks.

firefirefire90
07-08-2007, 05:32 PM
Just check everything and make sure it is in spec. It should stare very easily if it is.

bigb9000
07-10-2007, 09:42 PM
ah!

good thinkin

Erics350x
07-11-2007, 07:21 AM
i would say its the low speed circut in the carb thats clogged. clean the carb and petcock realy good.
for valve lash to be an issue it would have to be way off for it not to start. you'd notice it running poorly or tapping like crazy when running.
its not flooding or it wouldn't start by adding starting fluid.