PDA

View Full Version : 200x rebuild problems

mullet_boy
07-07-2007, 02:19 PM
A couple days ago i decided to rebuild my 84' 200x. I put a 12:1 wiseco and a new cam chain/tensioners in it. the problem im having is now it wont start. i beleive i have the cam timing right, the T on the fly wheel lines up with the notch in the case at the same time as the dot on the cam lines up with the notch in the rocker cover. i know im getting fuel because when i check the plug its wet. ive checked spark and im getting spark. any ideas on what the problem could be? (oh and before anyone suggests race gas because of the compression, im running 110 in it)

84honda200s
07-07-2007, 02:52 PM
did you adjust the pulse generator after you put it all together ? also check all your grounds. meaning take them off and scuff up the frame where they bolt too then put them back on. `you may need to get higher octain fuel and a hotter plug.

Dirtcrasher
07-08-2007, 09:44 AM
A couple days ago i decided to rebuild my 84' 200x. I put a 12:1 wiseco and a new cam chain/tensioners in it. the problem im having is now it wont start. i beleive i have the cam timing right, the T on the fly wheel lines up with the notch in the case at the same time as the dot on the cam lines up with the notch in the rocker cover. i know im getting fuel because when i check the plug its wet. ive checked spark and im getting spark. any ideas on what the problem could be? (oh and before anyone suggests race gas because of the compression, im running 110 in it)

Make sure your not 180 degrees out on the cam. Lots of people do that on the older 200X.

DIGGER DOG
07-08-2007, 10:01 AM
you may have too tight valve lash I would loosen it up a bit if youve put a hi comp. piston in. usually on race applications tolerances are looser than stock.
stock clearances are 0.08mm on both in and exh if you are feeling a heavy drag on feeler gauge re adjust untill the drag is slight.

kilabeez0
07-08-2007, 11:43 AM
you put the cam in upside down

mullet_boy
07-08-2007, 12:29 PM
The pulse generator is the thing that bolts to the end of the cam that sets the spark timing correct? If it is, i didnt mess with that, its still in the same position as it was when it ran. As for the cam, the correct position is lobes faceing down when at TDC (or the T on the fly wheel i think?). The lash on the valves is set to .003" (or .078mm). Im running 110 octane fuel so i know thats not a problem. The plug is the same as stock im assuming, i took the one that was in it to auto zone and got a new one. WIch ive checked spark and it seams to be fine, nice and blue. Oh one more thing i forgot to mention above, since the stock jug was already .75mm over and i had already bought a stock size piston, it now has a xl185 jug bored to 65mm, wich from what i understand is the same thing as the 200x and the xl/r 200 just a smaller stock bore. thank you guys for the help by the way.

84honda200s
07-08-2007, 01:11 PM
hmm sounds like you did it all rite. check for bad grounds and maybe the carb needs adjusting.

mullet_boy
07-08-2007, 06:18 PM
Ill check the carb out. I dont think i should have any bad grounds because it ran great before i tore it down, but ill check anyways. After checking my cam timing realy closely it looks like i could be one tooth retarded. I cant tell because depending on how you look at the fly wheel and notch in the case it looks like it lines up with the fire notch sometimes and with the time notch others. so that might be my problem. we tried to drag it to start it (kicking that 12:1 over sucks after 20 minutes) and it sounded like it might have been making a bit of a noise somwere so i think my cam timing is off.

mullet_boy
07-11-2007, 12:44 AM
I finally bit the bullet and tore it back down. I reasembled it and put it back in. Im not sure what the problem was but the cam timing was off totally and i dont know how. I redid it the same way i did the first time i thought. Anyway to the point of this post, could bad valve lash cause it not to fire at all? I got a single pop out of it, just enough to blacken the plug to tell it had fired. Thats the only thing i got after 10 minutes of kicking. It coughs out of the carb pretty bad. When i put the rocker cover back on i checked the lash by just fealing the play of the rockers. The exhaust valve seamed acceptable to atleast fire it on for a few minutes and the intake was tight, didnt move. So i guess what im asking here is the intake valve lash sounds like my issue correct? thanks for the help again guys.