PDA

View Full Version : nd4speed Tecate 3

nd4speed
07-02-2007, 10:39 PM
I began riding on my cousin's 3 wheelers when I was 9 and I was hooked. I asked for one for 2 years until my dad bought a 4 wheeler. (Unfortunately, it wasn't the Banshee I picked out).

So, a couple years ago, I decided to relive my childhood fantasy.

This 1986 Tecate 3 has been great. July 1, 2007 I rode it at St. Helen and Mio Michigan trails and enjoyed every minute of it.

I bought it and a yard ornament within a week of each other and have spent around $1300 so far. Special thanks to Dammit for the nice axle.

Needs radiator shrouds real bad. (Hoping Hornetpowersports will make some more. )

Sports a Pro Circuit Pipe for an 86 KX250 and hubs for the 85-86 Suzuki LT250R.
http://home.att.net/~nd4speed/DISMANTLED.JPG
http://home.att.net/~nd4speed/t3_2007july2.jpg113702

sandpuppi101
07-02-2007, 11:08 PM
Look's pretty tite there !! How werethe trail up there?? I alway's liked the 2nd generation Tecate's..

nd4speed
07-02-2007, 11:34 PM
Thanks. St. Helen was pretty busy and Mio was dead by the time we got there at 5:30pm. Dusty for sure. St. Helen was full of woops. Bull Gap was pretty smooth. Took my GF to St. Helen for a leasusrely ride. Had some problems with the Quadracer clutch coming out of adjustment. Long story short. The Suzuki now sports a custom clutch cable holder made of a vise grip and a waterpump weep hole plug made out of a golf tee. Improvisation saved the day.

ATC-Eric
07-02-2007, 11:44 PM
Very nice Nd3speed :w00t:

I hope to join the green club myself sometime soon! :beer

hadar
07-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Yeah man, looks good. You really turned it around.

nd4speed
07-03-2007, 12:51 AM
Well I can't afford to restore it like some of the other fine T3s on here and I wanted to be prepared if the motor died. So I bought a $250 86 KX250 with freshly rebuilt motor, but this motor runs great. I don't care if it doesn't look that great as long as it doesn't break down all the time.

BigGreenMachine
07-03-2007, 01:36 AM
That sure has come a long way! Looks super tuff with that number plate on there too, a great daily rider. Who wants to restore a fun machine and just look at it? Not me! Great job, I'm jealous!!

Maico
07-03-2007, 01:44 AM
The Mio trails are the best. Rode there for over 20 yrs. The trails just south of the Parmalee Bridge are the chit. Nice loop. Dids ya stop at Ma Deeder's for refreshments?? Hit up the Lost Sky Creek Ranch for a good,greasy burger!!

firefirefire90
07-03-2007, 01:51 AM
Hey man don't trip. Your KXT is AWESOME!! I would trade in any trike I have ever had for one

scooterroo
07-03-2007, 04:47 PM
im liking the # plate, whered yah get it?

nd4speed
07-03-2007, 11:17 PM
The # plate is a Cycra. I got it off ebay. They gave the dimensions and that's all I have to go by. I'll look for a part # sometime but I am quite sure the plastic bag was plain.

nd4speed
07-05-2007, 10:58 PM
I don't have any info on the # plate

RID3R
07-05-2007, 11:39 PM
:drool: Very nice t3! Like the # plate how much was it, and an 86 kx250 pipe will fit the 86 t3? :TrikesOwn

nd4speed
07-06-2007, 06:51 PM
$17 for the plate and there's a white one on ebay that looks like it for 96-01 KX250 but cyrca.com does not list them.

Yes that is a NOS 1986 KX250 Pro Circuit pipe that Ronnie's put on ebay. I had to have that pipe and it was around $130. I have an 86 Kx250 too, but before I bought that I came to the conclusion it would work.

Here's one of the posts about it:
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=64632

The stinger end bends the wrong way so I turned the T3 silencer upside down and hung it from the fender brace. The pipe did require a slight amount of bending to get the flange lined-up better. But many have bought a new pipe that did not fit perfect.

The pipe boss mount on the fram has been re-tapped to accept a OEM pipe hanger for a Suzuki LT250R. The mounting tab hole is slightly lower than the frame boss. I don't know how long the hanger will last but I guess I could always slot out the pipe's mounting tab more to relieve it some.

Moved the kicker forward on the splines like Enigma suggested.

I also looked into buying and mounting a universal FMF Turbine core 2 SA silencer and just cutting the stinger where it needed it, but my dealer did not have the right diameter in stock. My Quadracer has one on it with a PT pipe.

Black86tri-z
01-15-2008, 07:38 PM
i had to revive this thread because the # plate looks so bad assssssssssssss

nd4speed
01-16-2008, 02:03 AM
I also bought a green one for $17 like this one that I forgot to bid on:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cycra-Works-Full-Vented-Front-Number-Plate-KX-KDX_W0QQitemZ230210667563QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item2 30210667563

I do not believe Cycra makes these any more.

nd4speed
01-26-2008, 06:15 PM
Well I bought a KX500 motor with radiators,shock, busted pipe, and motor mounts for $500. The waterpump cover is broke. It is supposed to run and drive. Shifts through all gears, seems to have compression, and the motor turns the primary shaft in all gears. Looks like the head has been off before. No porting. One intake bridge looks to have the infamous crack at the top. I think I paid too much but oh well.

Put some Yamalube in the cylinder. The pics are not that good but a few ?'s:

What is the black stuff flaking off in the intake?
Do the power valves look gunked up?
The cylinder walls looked a bit scraped but not gouged?
How do I tell if the cylinder is plated?

This is going to be expensive and time consuming.

3Razors
01-26-2008, 06:18 PM
What year 500 motor? The black stuff in the intake is just paint.

nd4speed
01-26-2008, 06:31 PM
It does look like paint but I don't get why it is there unless you are suggesting this is an old black painted motor.

After the KX500 on the frame VIN it said E1 but on the motor it says B1 I think. I have yet to decode the VIN. The guy thought it was a 96.

nd4speed
01-26-2008, 06:44 PM
The motor VIN says KX500BE017080

BigGreenMachine
01-26-2008, 06:45 PM
89-04, a little vague but hey.

nd4speed
01-26-2008, 06:52 PM
The frame VIN did not have "B" in it and did not look like a 1986 frame.

kx500BE;
000001-001800 = '85
001801-004100 = '86
004101-006600 = '87
006601-008500 = '88
008501- on = '89
010701- 004000 ='90
013001- on ='91,'92, '93

porscheguy944
02-24-2008, 06:50 AM
I have a KX500 motor but no frame to get the year off of.what year is this motor or where can I find this out at?
email me if you can help me figure this out.
rhedstromii@hotmail.com
the numbers o n the engine cases is KX500BE009101
I think it is between a 1989 and a 2002 enigine but I don't remember the year it was from and I need to order some parts for it and the local kawasaki dealer has been of no help figuring this out for me.

nd4speed
01-23-2009, 10:39 PM
Well I am tired of the old 39mm Mikuni VM. I think it has float issues anyway. Just to check I swapped my PWK from my running, problem free KX.

With the good carb, 160 main, at 49 degrees (w/ 1000 ft elevation) in my garage all I could get is a back fire after about six kicks.

Last time I started the motor it smoked a lot like I loaded up the crank case with gas (have had this happen before with the bad VM carb).

Tried to start with fresh plug. Pulled plug and the post above tip (?) had drop of oily dark gas on it.

What makes a 2 stroke backfire? besides the obvious- compression and timing off. The timing is good and it ran with the other carb.

3Razors
01-24-2009, 01:54 AM
160 main is pretty lean. Team Green recommends 170 for PWK and that is at sea level to 3000 ft and 70's temp.

http://www.teamgreennews.ca/pdf/2004_jetting_chart.pdf

nd4speed
01-24-2009, 02:32 AM
Yes I am pulling that lean PWK off and trying a richer 39mm Mikuni TM. Have to check the reeds now anyway.

New filter and gas. No fuel obstructions.

The spark could be weak or timing off (sheared key),doubt it, but it is a Tecate.
The crank seals could be bad.
The crank case or pipe could have excess fuel in them.
The carb was lean.

3Razors
01-24-2009, 02:40 AM
I wouldn't change the whole carb to another you will still be starting from square 1 again. I would jet the PWK according to what Kawasaki recommends the engineers/techs have done the homework for us. If that doesn't work move on to the next area that could be causing the trouble. When you have too many variables at once an accurate troubleshoot cannot be diagnosed. Each component works in conjunction with the other and if one is out of tune then everything is compromised.

nd4speed
01-24-2009, 02:55 AM
I just don't have jets for the PWKs that I have. I have lots of Mikuni jets though. I figured I start with the carb.

Just wanted to know if lean condition or excess fuel in crank case would cause this exhaust backfire?

The backfire literally blew a small plastic oil drain pan off a stand like 3 feet from the silencer.

Tonight I also started my $300 86 KX250 for the first time with the junky 40mm VM carb and 330 main it came with. Not much of an option cause it leaks out the bowl overflow pretty bad.117731117729117730

3Razors
01-24-2009, 03:02 AM
Both a lean condition or excess fuel can cause a backfire. 2 strokes are very meticulous about having their fuel just right. Dont get into a hurry and try and fix with whatever is handy around the garage. If you dont have the jets just get/order them, do it once and do it right. Follow team greens chart EXACTLY. Also check the float level while you are at it. It should be at 15-17mm.

nd4speed
01-24-2009, 03:06 AM
Thanks for all the help and the chart.

3Razors
01-24-2009, 03:09 AM
Your welcome. I love to see strong running Kawi's out there!

nd4speed
03-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Well was riding on ice March 5/6 2010 and the thing was smoking like a freight train in the mid range and bogging. Had problems setting up this new carb but not sure the carb was the problem. Appeared I had a bad reed that was bent and not even near closing.

Then the motor locked up. Took the intake and pipe off expecting to see carnage, but did not find anything alarming. Motor seems a bit tight when turning it over, not sure what's going on with it. But I have gotten my money's worth out it.

So many bolts vibrate loose.

See some 4 point seizure marks. Like 2 aluminum specks on the plug. I am goin to say I jetted lean cause of the bad reed and had a mild seizure. Guess I'll change the reeds, re-jet, and start it and see what happens.

nd4speed
06-15-2010, 08:38 PM
Well I never started the original motor that died, and I decided to cobble it back together with the spare parts 1986 KX250 i bought for $300.

Went back to the DG pipe, cause it seemed to perform the same as the Pro Circuit.

So I am back to using a 38mm TM Mikuni with a 6FJ47 needle which I think is too lean and a 280 main. Anyone know where to start with jetting on this carb?

Need Gas tank rubber grommets, fuel line, 2.5" Pod filter, and more main jets 300-320.

dcreel
06-15-2010, 08:42 PM
My 41mm TM I run has a 320 main jet in it, I'm not sure about the needle though. Where is your clip on the needle?

nd4speed
06-15-2010, 08:51 PM
clip is 4th down. It was lean in mid range at 2nd down when I killed the other motor.

I started it up and rode it around the block and the plug looked fine, but break in and carb tuning is tomorrow.

I could have sworn it said 280 main but when I looked through my mains I had another 280, so maybe it's a 300 in there cause I swore I had one of those.

Anyway, before I ride it, I am changing the main to a 330 and buying what I need in between down to 290.

My VM 39mm ran a 280 or 290, but I keep reading people are running anything from 300-400 for a main.

Update**** This needle jet is too lean.

Update 2 *** Funny thing is I ordered a new needle and ended up ordering the exact same needle, but came to find out the old needle must have been bent by previous owner because the new fixed the carb.

nd4speed
01-15-2011, 08:52 PM
Snowmobile ice drags on Lake Fenton114160

People drinkin beer, smokin weed, and urinating in public. Good times!

nd4speed
02-26-2011, 04:28 PM
The snow is too deep and I dont want to blow my motor screaming in 3rd and 4th gear just to move around really slow. WEAK....117721Might be the last ride of the season.

(Went out one more time. Had issues with slipping kicker last time but now that it was warmer it didnt slip at all. It's always somethin.)

nd4speed
08-24-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks to John and his wife for the OEM tool box lid replacement and repair. It is all good now that I drilled some holes in the PRM grab bar and mounted it.

Blew out the frayed front brake line finally. That was the sign to stop riding and go party I guess.lol

Well it's a little too humid out but off to put some fluid in and bleed the brakes.

The Moose KX250 2003-2004 case saver fits fine for 13 tooth sprocket.

I am back to the PWK 38mm carb as I sold my 86 KX250 with the leaky hard to start Mikuni TM38.

Replaced the petcock as the other one leaked and had to try a couple and use some Permatex High tack to seal it to the tank.

Cracked the gas cap because some how I lost the cap gasket when filling it up a few times yesterday. I have no idea where it went it fell out and I swear I put it back in. Oh well I have a new gas cap and probably some gaskets.

nd4speed
01-31-2015, 04:38 PM
Went out on the ice and put almost a tank of gas through er before I got dirt in my eye from my dirty goggles and half of my upper chain slider ripped off. I broke my nearly 30 year old Yamaha tire gauge I got with my first 4 wheeler.

It was fun rippin around for a bit though.

nd4speed
06-05-2015, 09:07 PM
Bought this parts machine years ago and the motor has sat on the shelf. Had high hopes for it but things were not so great.

You never know what you are going to find when you take a motor apart:
Kicker slipped, snap ring not in groove in middle. Shaft bad threads anyway.
Shifter shaft screwed up cause kid was shifting it with vise grips.
top end loose.
clutch basket loose.
flywheel loose and stator rusted
magnet fell off flywheel
rust on under stator cover, crank half, main bearing. Clutch side fine? Rust crawled into motor on one side?
Top end needs bore and plating.

I seem to remember the kid saying he took it apart to check it out.
But I did not notice any missing parts, the clutch plates look new and basket is groove free.

Looks to me it has never been rebuilt before and has all OEM parts. Well it sure as hell needs one now. Bummer....

Looks like I will be going back to the KX500 motor project. Or looking at some of the $300-700 KX250s around here.

nd4speed
06-06-2015, 10:17 AM
Pictures of the typical tecate flywheel with the magnets falling off:

fieldy
06-06-2015, 12:35 PM
What letter should the tenth vin spot on the bike frame be for an 86 of kx250?

nd4speed
06-06-2015, 12:51 PM
Should be "G" model for Tecate but D for 1986 KX250?

Answer will be in here:
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/group.php?discussionid=327&pp=10&page=2&do=discuss

nd4speed
08-02-2015, 04:58 PM
Well this was on craigslist north of Saginaw a ways in like April for $500. A nice fellow Tecate rider bought and drove it down less than an hour from me. Once again I saw it and had to have it. Feel free to call it a turd since it is rough shape.

Front sprocket has missing teeth? Who needs those anyway?

Rear brake has no pad? No problem, just grind the metal together.

Something chewed on the rims during transport?

Broken intake boot, case by clutch actuator lever, case saver bolt, healight cage, coolant bottle (cracked)

Answer silencer mount broken just like my other SA Answer and both were missing the same cap screw (twins lol).

Shifter welded on = pull motor and cut off.

Missing lots of things

Sadness, just found under the layer of dirt and oil, the left case half cracked by the swingarm bolt. Well, it was bad anyway, now it's really looking bad. Guess I will pull the motor and take it to Delduca welding and see what they say.

Swingarm not too chewed up, but still has rash. Rear shock seems ok.

Lots of original OEM hardware still in place and those are coming out easy at least....

nd4speed
08-02-2015, 08:25 PM
got to be the nicest OEM flywheel I have ever found on a Tecate...sweet...until it explodes...

here is the Powerbuilt puller I use on Tecates that I bought from Autozone.

This seems too be a low hour machine, what a shame, because the motor runs and shifts through all gear.

Guess now I can test the Ricky stator/ flywheel ,cdi that I have lying on the bench.

bkm
08-02-2015, 08:31 PM
Nice to see it still has the airbox. That's a hell of a score.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

nd4speed
08-02-2015, 08:41 PM
Sadly the air box is not without issues either, inside the cage is missing and the threads for the wingnut are ripped out.
Also the boot looked good at a glance, but I have to clean and look closer

I have a K&N style setup that should bolt into the box though.

So this box also needs fixing or parts.

bkm
08-02-2015, 08:50 PM
Damn that sucks. Someone cut the snorkel down on mine. I could use an uncut outer shell if you part that one.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

nd4speed
08-10-2015, 04:26 PM
do not let your swingarm bearings go bad. This trike suffered cracked left hand engine case half along with having the chain thrown and breaking the case more (previous owner). I put JB weld all over it just to see what will happen. I am a hack and dont feel like taking the running motor all apart even though I have most of the parts to fix it (need crank bearings and seals). Say what you will.

Anyway I remove rusty stuck swingarm bearings with just propane heat and this impact hammer fitted into a 3/8" drive 3/4" socket.

HK2030 bearings are what I have but apparently they are 26mm OD and I need 27mm OD TA2030Z (IKO Brand)

Ordered genuine OEM IKO Kawasaki 92046-1128 off ebay for $20 shipped, most list Action Bearings brand for $25 shipped.

Axle nut was hardest to remove yet.

Finding what I believe is factory thread locker on things like the rear sprocket bolts. And getting the feeling this thing has never been apart. Looks like they blew off the chain and wrecked the case then slapped another chain on it. Then paint the gas tank and lose the brackets. Petcock seems to function perfectly.

fieldy
08-11-2015, 12:19 AM
Are you saying the frozen swingarm bearings caused some of the case damage where the bolt ran through the cases? I saw the tri-z that was posted recently here, jumped and the frame collapsed and that's got me worried what I'm gonna see when I go to take my swingarms off for maintenance, or if I jump!
Owning and caring , some just own. Does anyone know what metal the cases Kawasaki's are made from and does anyone know an experienced with cases business that can weld them near Indianapolis or anywhere else, through the mail even? There are a few holes in my left case, can't wait to see the bottom and back of the motor. I too will be trying to keep running as is for now but maybe I can get a good lead.
Its a good thing the guy sprayed bright yellow paint on the motor in random splotches. Calico lover my guess.

nd4speed
08-11-2015, 12:43 AM
I have seen this case break more than once but I think I may retract that statement because I do not know for sure if bad swing arm bearings cause this. I am kinda guessing it is from the chain break. I just got rid of 84/85 cases with same damage but do not remember thrown chain damage. Shown in pictures

Ok I see thrown chain damage.

The cases are cast aluminum, and you will have to take the entire motor apart to have it welded, unless it is just holes in covers.
Use JB weld like I did. I had a clutch cover where some boner did not have the foot peg on and used the kick start lever and blew a hole through it. They JB welded it. KX250

But on another note I once saw a guy riding a Raptor 660 that was really ragged on and not maintained. He turned at the top of the sand hill and the chain fell off. He was looking at it like he didnt have a clue , so I helped him put it on just to have it fall off again when he turned 10 feet later. So I went over to him again and grabbed the quad and started pulling on it showing him the bearings were so bad the sprockets would no longer line up enough to keep the chain on. Not as bad as the LT250R I tried to get running for someone at the sand hill. Put a plug in it. Then I kicked the motor and started laughing cause the front of the motor lifted up. The motor was only held in by the swingarm bolt at that point. Some people ride miles out into the woods on those things.

Oddly the right side of this Tecate is rustier than the left. The swing arm bearing on the left rusted and stuck, but the right side seemed fine. Just like the axle is rusty on the right.

fieldy
08-11-2015, 12:54 AM
I guess the chain gets thrown off, ruins the case saver then they discard the case saver, later throwing chain, ruining case. Is this the right conclusion or does the chain fly off ruining case saver and chunking holes in case all in one wonderful nano-second?

nd4speed
08-11-2015, 01:14 AM
Not sure because I have never had it happen. I have had my chain fall off once on hard whoops on a LT250R but it did no damage like that just some rash. This is more about the chain breaking then it bunches up on the front sprocket and gets forced right through the soft aluminum.

I swear to god this Tecate has the original sprockets, the teeth are either gone or barely there.

So chain getting wedged between case and swing-arm causes it by pushing back on bolt??

nd4speed
08-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Well why stop at a Tecate when you can have another 1986 KX250 for $300? It was a local bike within 15 minutes so that helped.

Fingers crossed on this KX since it is missing the electrical system. The rectifier thing threw me at first then I spied a 21119-1074 CDI for 1984 Tecate I believe. Has compression and shock, forks, brakes worked. Went through all gears. Clutch basket not grooved. Good chain and sprockets.

Bonus decent silencer, oversized gas tank, leather tool bag (no treasures inside though), hand guards and skid plate.

Holy crap I have way to many of these things.

I think the KX250 motor will go in the Tecate if it runs, it will get the tecate main crank gear and clutch basket.

Then I can use the KX250 frame to get my KX500 motor started and test the tecate stators ,cdis, flywheels I have.

Where do I get lapping compound for the flywheel ?

tecaterob
08-12-2015, 09:33 PM
Nice score

nd4speed
08-12-2015, 11:06 PM
Found carbon fiber reeds in there.

Carb had normal varnish and trash but floats fell out cause they missing the little plastic caps to hold them on the posts.
Carb slide showed little wear, pretty nice for 30 years old.

Hoping to make 2 good carbs out of this pile.

Covers/frame show little wear , lots of stickers intact, someone loved it enough to add a bunch of plastic/metal aftermarket bolt-on accessories.

Shock shaft looked good and leak free.
A fork seal leaking

86T3
08-13-2015, 08:57 AM
I remember reading somewhere in kxriders that people used to put tecate ignition on kx500 s so they would be able to run lights. (Ironic, isn't it?) Jut a though incase you want to fire it up quick. Also, in your fourth picture you're showing a not very well known interchangeable part the first gen tecate owners are always looking for, the adjustable link. They sell much cheaper on ebay than tecate ones but are the exact same part number. And the picture of your 500 shows why they have those threaded holes on the side that I always made me wondered what I was missing. Ben showed me this last winter. Good find

nd4speed
08-13-2015, 01:14 PM
Yes, I think the middle threaded adjusting bolt might actually be a different length, but it does not matter. The like 85/86 KX 125/250/500 all had that link with a mud flap. I think it is my swap thread. They are very common and not worth as much as some people have paid. I have sold a few of them...

I put a Tecate stator mixed with Ricky flywheel and the new CDI that was on the bike and got it to fire (after testing a stator that would spark but was bad).

The KX500 motor should have good ignition, I could not kick it over very well the way I had it on the stand. I just want to start it.

Still need lapping compound. Can I use Permatex valve grinding compound? Seems like I could.

nd4speed
08-13-2015, 03:11 PM
The $300 KX250 is up and running through all gears, fed by the stock 39mm round slide carb (has the dreaded Mikuni drip). Wasnt able to hit powerband here on my block (risk losing to the cops). Anyway it needs to be Loctited up and swapped over anyway. This motor is going in the Tecate.

nd4speed
08-17-2015, 01:43 AM
Well the motor is in the Tecate....as always there are struggles. The forks dont seem good and one squeaks when rocked on hard. Great, guess I will be swapping forks too (maybe the whole triples).

The biggest struggle I had was getting a throttle cable to work with the T4 style thumb and the 39mm VM Mikuni. Every cable I had was too long (84/85 Tecate being the longest) or too short. The KX250 cables were too long because of not using a twist grip. Made one work but it's only temporary. Another member pointed out he just cut the cable and melted some lead to the end. So cut then solder/weld a ball on the cable.

The T4/bayou/prairie kawasaki style thumb I have gets in the way of the brake too because it sits low and fat. Unlike most sport quads where the cable mechanism sits up high over the bars.

Anyway searching for ideas for a thumb and cable setup if anyone has any. Ok, off to search threads about it.....

it looks like this T4 one
220045:

onformula1
08-17-2015, 02:16 AM
Valve lapping compound works for a variety of things and is typically sold with two different grit compounds 120 & 280 grit is common.

Many automotive parts stores sell it in the tool section.

nd4speed
08-17-2015, 08:35 PM
One step forward, two steps backwards.

Bad bearings on front wheel too so I have this extra hub and it has the wrong bearings half pressed in there. Easy to pop those out. But, underneath is an absolute mess, I don't even know what to think happened to this hub. I dont think it can be saved that easy or at all. Almost like there are 2 sets of bearing races stuck in there? And it is like that on both sides !!!! AArrgh, why?

Having a OEM shifter repaired with new splines welded on.

Ordered a ATC250R TRX250R thumb throttle cable for 36-38mm carb, it does not work with T4 thumb. The threaded part of the cable is too large and you have to use Honda or Yamaha style thumb that fit. Has nice curved metal end that mates to carb cap. Right length.

LT250R clutch lever.

New rear sprocket.

Packed the silencer and cut the broken mount off it (they all seem to break there). I need to space it away from the frame a bit farther.

The Answer pipe is touching the coolant line, not too happy about that.

Brake pads are all really worn.

Hope these forks are better. I have like 3 sets that need rebuilds.

nd4speed
08-18-2015, 10:27 PM
Frankenstein- green and all stitched together.

Waiting on wheel bearings....got the pipe off the coolant line.

Needs shifter on, coolant, handle bars setup, and the foot pegs back cut.

Still have the KX250 gearing off the crank and left the 15 front sprocket on there. No idea how this gearing is going to work out.

Cut a used DID o-ring chain to length (96 links???) but had to use backup TSC master link cause my other ones too short for o-rings.

Anyone ever use TSC master links? It's a #50 for 530 roller chain. Could I be asking for trouble?

nd4speed
08-19-2015, 04:08 AM
Parts airbox pictures for BKM:

nd4speed
08-28-2015, 04:38 PM
She be running and rolling, still needs more suspension bearings, but going to go test it out and shake it down anyway.

phantomtracer
08-28-2015, 05:35 PM
I'm jealous, looks good.

6spdls1z28
08-30-2015, 01:41 PM
She be running and rolling, still needs more suspension bearings, but going to go test it out and shake it down anyway.

Where did you find that number plate

nd4speed
08-30-2015, 11:53 PM
The number plates were made by cycra but discontinued long ago I think. The first page of this thread has info about them. I will post the part number if it is on the packaging.

Took the Tecates out. The new KX250 powered one rips. The heavy T3 flywheel with 15/37 sprockets and 20T KX gearing off the crank pulls good. Pulled up the front end when needed. Not sure about the high bend bars. Front wheel wobbles/dips in a spot, the rim doesnt look too bent. It started loosening up the carrier bolts. I forgot to check them.

Anyway, another guy mentioned he changed his 84/85 T3 to KX250 gearing (main,clutch,idler,kicker), and it "really woke" his Tecate up. I had a KX250 in an 84 and I gotta agree. The KX motors just feel faster. It felt like it has a higher top end speed. Wasnt sure what the gearing was going to be like but I was happy with it.

I burn threw the gears so fast on the other one and want more. It gets to 60 real quick but the gearing is so short and more motocross I guess. Have a feeling it would pull a sand hill better though.

6spdls1z28
08-31-2015, 02:31 PM
Yeah discontinued cant find them anywhere

nd4speed
09-11-2015, 03:08 PM
My first Tecate is on it's way to its new home to complete the trifecta of race trikes and share a garage with a ATC 250R and Tri-Z.

2200.........sold

6spdls1z28
09-18-2015, 06:15 PM
Hey man i just got a dc number plate how do you mount these things on it didn't come with any instructions. Ill have to modify it to go around the brake line ring too.

nd4speed
09-18-2015, 08:31 PM
never seen one in person or picture of back of one but usually they just zip tie on, I took my line mount off and just ran the line behind the plate, but the line pushes on the plate making it somewhat crooked.

6spdls1z28
09-18-2015, 08:37 PM
This thing is a pos I've been using a hair dryer on it to try and straighten it. I see now you have to drill and zip tie it.

nd4speed
09-18-2015, 08:49 PM
the cyrca plates had mounting bracket on bottom and tab with hole on top so it was easy to zip on

6spdls1z28
09-18-2015, 10:50 PM
Dc hasn't figured that out or how to make a straight mold.

nd4speed
10-31-2015, 11:53 AM
All sold and gone, so long 3wheelerworld !!!

jb2wheels
10-31-2015, 01:32 PM

Nuts. You've been good for this board! Have fun with whatever is next!

phantomtracer
10-31-2015, 03:39 PM

Wow!
What is next?
Thanks for the help, the front forks you sold me are looking great.
Your kxt parts swap thread was invaluable to me.
Thanks,
Phil

onformula1
11-02-2015, 03:45 PM

What's going on here?

I hope you are joking.

tecaterob
11-02-2015, 07:46 PM
^^^^ agree 200%. I hope you stay on the site even if you don't have a trike.