PDA

View Full Version : Mikuni TMX?

pickleweasel_00
07-01-2007, 11:16 PM
I have a 34mm Keihn pj carb on my tri-z and other than needing a re-jetting it works good. I was looking at the Mikuni flat slides awhile back considering getting a 36mm. Then I was on ebay awhile ago and saw a couple 38mm Mikuni TMX carbs for sale. Said they are designed for two-strokes. Are they better than the regular flat slides?

And to anyone that has carbs larger than 34 or 36mm on their trike, how does the rpm/powerband range differ than from the smaller carb? I do some trail riding/putting around, so I'm not going to see top rpm all the time. But I had what I beleive was a 38 or 39mm carb on before the 34mm pj carb and it seemed to pull harder after a certain rpm than the 34mm. I like having the extra power but exactly how much low end will i lose?

pickleweasel_00
07-01-2007, 11:25 PM
or should I go with the 36mm flat-slide?

BigGreenMachine
07-01-2007, 11:52 PM
I used one on my 85 T3 and it really is a good carb. I upgraded over the stock 34?mm roundslide to the 38mm TMX and it really woke the motor up. Comes on strong all the way to topend. I also did a huge amount of trail riding and mudbogging with it and it didn't falter once. I could chug along all day over the roughest trails.

pickleweasel_00
07-02-2007, 02:15 PM
so you had no problems in the lower rpm? Did you lose little if any bottom end power? Then again, it is a two stroke and it isn't goint to be a low-end torque monster either :)

BigRedRunner
07-02-2007, 02:33 PM
Pickleweasel, is that Navin R. Johnson and S***head the dog? What this has to do with your question, I don't know. I'm a big fan of The Jerk.

BigGreenMachine
07-02-2007, 04:06 PM
Lost a bit going to that big carb but nothing I couldn't do without.

I could have added a tooth to the rear sprocket to make up for it.

atcsteve
07-02-2007, 05:17 PM
If you run a bigger carb,you'll need to downsize the jets!A motor can only consume the fuel that its built for!So what Im saying is;putting a bigger carb is pointless,unless you port,then you need exhaust and intake up-grades! A good reed cage will give you better throttle response!

pickleweasel_00
07-02-2007, 06:50 PM
Pickleweasel, is that Navin R. Johnson and S***head the dog? What this has to do with your question, I don't know. I'm a big fan of The Jerk.

ha ha! Yes it is :D Thought I was the only one! Anyways, think i'm gonna try jetting th PJ carb on there first and see where that gets me...

pickleweasel_00
07-02-2007, 06:51 PM
oh, and what reed cage should i consider? I have the stock one now with boysen reeds