PDA

View Full Version : Hello All, Im the new guy

TheFamer
07-01-2007, 07:01 PM
Hey-
I just joined today. i own a 1984 ATC200ES aka Big Red. heres the deal - my mother bought this for my dad brand new in 1983 for 1800 or something. my dad used it all the time i have great memories of this trike in action. so fast forward to today and its been sitting for 3 years or so. its in great condition no cracks the only thing i see if one small patch of rust and a broken tail light lens. he took it to a local shop and the guy replaced the coil, and a few other relating parts . afterwards it started fine and drove around for 2 weeks and then just stopped running. i am really good with bikes and trikes. i am rebuilding a 1990 xr200r motor which is just like the three wheelers.

anyways heres the problem. i am getting no spark. it used to run and idle really rough. it should have the carb rebuilt. but instead i installed a 82XR200R carb. which should work no problem and its a good upgrade. but i have messed with the coil and the CDI, i cleaned up wires and grounds. i just dont know why i am not getting spark. when i pull the cord the neutral light turns on, so i know i am generating power. what gives??

any helps or ideas would help me out. i do have the manual.

team-red-rider
07-01-2007, 07:40 PM
try a new plug Dr8es-l and report back

jason 32
07-01-2007, 08:41 PM
yes try a new plug-
and invest in a test light- there really cheep- a few different kinds out there-
just hook it to the wires ,and find out the hot ones- narrow it down--

check the spark plug cap!! sometimes the wires break in there- and you will loose spark-

84honda200s
07-01-2007, 08:48 PM
new plug and check the coil ground. if thats not it buy a new plug wire. start cheap then go up the ladder. ooo and by the way welcome to 3ww !!!

DOG987
07-01-2007, 09:47 PM
I've had many problems like this, especially 200s's
Usually you've got a bad ground or connection.
Take your headlight apart and check all of the
connections they sometimes get corroded, and
check your connections that run into the case.
If not disconnect the black wire that runs into
the case then start cranking it then reconnect it
wile your cranking it if you have electric start
that might do it. had a big red I had to do that to
once a week don't know why it worked :wondering but it did
Good luck:beer

TheFamer
07-02-2007, 08:06 PM
i have that spark plug. i checked the coil wires.. they look alright. but it seems like a bad system since one screws into the wires and the other side just has the needle that pokes the wires. but after that i looked in the head light and all wires are connected and seem to be clean. i unplugged the black and white wires for the kill switch and turned it over and still no spark. i haven't tried the black wire going into the case.

any other ideas? i will keep poking around..

sandpuppi101
07-02-2007, 10:32 PM
1st off welcome to the best trike site there is,glad too see you became a member.That 200es is a sweet machine,I always liked them.A few pointers ,what did the plug look like.My guess is that it was carboned up,that xr 200 probably has a bigger main and is letting the motor run way rich.Another thing to check is the pulse generator,it's on the left side by the head as your sitting on it.Take the 2 screws out and check out the gunk in there and make sure the springs are working properly.Assuming the mechanic you took the BR too did his job with the coil,just check that the ground wire is grounded behind the coil properly and not just bolted to a rusty frame.Other than that take an ohm to the on off wire's turn it on and off to check your resistance.The black wire coming out of the left case should be good if the light get's brighter when you turn the motor over.Basically just narrow it down ,you'll find what it is ,It's always something stupid.:)

Tri-ZNate
07-02-2007, 10:44 PM
had the same problem on mine. In the kill switch the piece thats grounds out the current was touching the bars constantly. Take the 2 screws out and just make sure everything is fine in there

TheFamer
07-06-2007, 03:37 PM
Update: I have spark now. my electrical buddy redid the coil connections and now it has spark!

Now the carb has issues. the pilot screw is at 2 turns out. and i dont know about the throttle stop screw. but she runs horrible. always high reving, choke brings the RPMs down sort of. i think its all out of spec. im at sea level. stock jets. stock exhaust. also what should the valve clearance be at? and any tips on the intake side? it looks like a b***h to get to.

Thanks

edog
07-06-2007, 06:38 PM
Welcome to the greatest Forum on earth

sandpuppi101
07-06-2007, 10:40 PM
Hey does the machine run,? fair 2 good on the topend.Sound's to me that if you give it gas ,let off the gas ,and it stay's reved hi and drop's after a few moment's that you have an issue with the screw on the bottom of the carb,above the vent tube.I would highly suggest getting a carb kit for 30.00 and being done with it.That (slow Jet)screw can cause you more misory than it's worth.

TheFamer
07-07-2007, 01:09 PM
i ordered the rebuild kit for it yesterday so now i will wait for that to show up in the mail and see if it fixes my problem.

bigreddaddy
07-09-2007, 07:46 AM
Just clean the stock carb real good and try it and see if that solves your problem.

SYKO
07-09-2007, 09:19 AM
I hear an air leak in those symptoms, check the carb to motor boot make sure it sealed correctly and not cracked as well.

TheFamer
07-09-2007, 06:16 PM
Ok Thanks

Once the rebuild kit comes i will install that and use a sealer for everything to insure no air leaks. what would the normal carb settings be for this bike at sea level with no mods.