PDA

View Full Version : SX front tire- how wide/big can I go?

Name Brand
07-01-2007, 01:06 PM
It's good to be back here and thinking about my beloved machhine again (link is in the signature). Since I ordered new tires for the rear of my SX (Kenda Bearclaws 25-12.5-9) I want a new tire for the front also. I'd like to run a taller tire than stock, preferably something 25 inches high. I'll have to swap out my front rim for at least a nine incher and see about rebuilding my front forks with maybe an internal spacer to give the front an inch or so of lift (another project...any ideas?) Anyway, most of the 25 inch tall tires run 12 inches wide, stock is 11 inches. I'm looking at the Maxxis M902 Maverick in a 25-12-9 or the Maxxis All Trak in a 25-12-9. I think I like the All Trak better, Opinions?

I'm on the opposite side of the country from my machine right now; I'd like to order parts/front tire so that it will be at home when I get back in two months.

Can somebody take a tape measure to the front forks of an SX and see exactly how much room is between them? I know they move inward just below where the rubber boots are, but how much room is left?

I also see there is the M902 Maverick in a 25-11-10, that would fit without the width issue; the question is where or from what could I get the correct rim from? Course it wouldn't be too hard to put a new center in an old ten inch rim that already is the correct width... I'm starting to lean toward this idea.

And I do know a narrow tire will steer better but I need the flotation over soft surfaces that a wider tire gives.

RedRider_AK
07-02-2007, 01:07 AM
Jeez, 25 inchers? And it came stock with 22's? You sure it'll pull that with the stock gearing?

Personally, I would go with a 10 inch front. It would look pretty cool, but then again I'm more into the sporty "skinny tire" trikes.

Nick_R_23
07-02-2007, 01:25 AM
We've had 25" tires on a 185, pulled them just fine, I dont doubt that a 250 could turn them easily.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

burnoutboy
07-02-2007, 01:34 AM
those trikes are geared so low it won't really matter.

firefirefire90
07-02-2007, 01:49 AM
Just to point out, your 250sx is AWESOME!! Its the tank of the ATC's!

I think you should all take a look. its awesome!

84honda200s
07-02-2007, 01:52 AM
hell ak my 200s was running 25 on the back threw deep ars mud and water. i even pulled 8 foot logs about 6 or so inches round 5 at a time (not threw the mud). the 250 could handle 30 inch tires i bet. well ok maybe not but definitively up to 27. it just comes down to fender clearance.

Name Brand
07-05-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the compliment firefirefire90! I'm always trying to think of cool or new stuff for my machine. I'll post pics when I get my monster skidplate done.

I think the stock gearing would pull 25 just fine; but to keep in mind that my entire rear axle/swingarm is from an '86 Fourtrax 250. The Fourtrax has a slightly lower gear ratio than the SX and the swingarm is about three inches longer. Another advantage to running 25's is I get my higher speeds back. I will have to modify my exhuast though.

My freind has 25's on his 200cc Big Red and it does just fine.

I'm really thinking that the 25-11-10 Maverick would be the best choice for the front. Unless I can find a rim that fits (doubtful) I'll likely cut up two ten inch rims, weld the halves together and put in a center at the correct backspacing.

Two more months of training and I can get to do some real work on it.

Tri-ZNate
07-05-2007, 09:05 PM
my recommendation is a carlisle trail wolf. http://www.americanmototire.com/index.html?lang=en-us&target=d415.html

Make sure you don't go wider than 11" or higher than 24" (Because I'll gaurentee the tire wont rub till you sit on it or hit bumps) and remember different manufacturer's tires will measure up differently. I had a set of 22x11x8 knobbies that rubbed my forks till i put 15psi Into them.

If I was to recommend, go with a 25" front tire off a quad. Skinney so you can bite into the mud and you'll get better steering out of it. Just make some spacers for the axle and your golden. 24x9x11 would do a nice job and only cost $5x compared to $7x for the fat tires

McDerry
07-05-2007, 11:26 PM
i believe goodyear makes a 25x11x9

found it for yah
http://www.goodyearatv.com/cfmx/web/gyatv/tiredetail.cfm?serid=9

Name Brand
07-07-2007, 11:40 AM
I do like this one; http://www.goodyearatv.com/cfmx/web/gyatv/tiredetail.cfm?serid=4
I think this would steer very well and have a good amount of 'squish' to it. Knobbies seem to do the best for a front tire. This one only weighs 15 lbs too.

Name Brand
07-07-2007, 06:00 PM
Alright next question; what is the width of a stock SX front rim? 8, 8.5, 9? And what is the backspacing? I'm almost certain it is the same rim as the rears.

I do know the bolt pattern is 4 on 110, I found a pretty informative chart for possible front rim solutions if I go with a 9 inch diameter.
http://www.mud-throwers.com/atv_wheel_chart

Tri-ZNate
07-07-2007, 07:29 PM
Alright next question; what is the width of a stock SX front rim? 8, 8.5, 9? And what is the backspacing? I'm almost certain it is the same rim as the rears.

I do know the bolt pattern is 4 on 110, I found a pretty informative chart for possible front rim solutions if I go with a 9 inch diameter.
http://www.mud-throwers.com/atv_wheel_chart

i think its an 8x8. And I would wait till you get back home before you fully decide on a tire size choice. See how much room you have when the front end is fully depressed.

In all reality anything that is higher in the center will steer great. That goodyear looks like the same thing as the carlisles.

dblshockpower
07-07-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm amazed at the way these tires 'grow' at speeds above 25...I'd be careful with oversized tires at static measurements.