PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke rebuilding question

Nick_R_23
07-01-2007, 01:43 AM
Ok...this may sound stupid but it has been bugging me for a while and since I am about finished with my 2 stroke Trail boss I thought Id better ask this. I have worked on 2 stroke motors as much as 4 stroke, so I am very familiar with them. But I have never done a full rebuild on one before. Since I am the only one here who really does these kind of motors, no one really has an answer for me.

My question is, are you supposed to have oil (of any sort) in the crank area of the bottom end when you put it together? The reason I ask is because I had an old snowmachine, and we replaced the gaskets, and when I took it apart there was 10w30 oil in the crankcase. I didnt think anything of it, and I had the machine for several years without any problems before I finally sold it. Im not sure if I need to do this with the motor Im doing now. Or did I get lucky with the snowmachine and all it needs is the bearings greased/oiled?

-Nick :TrikesOwn

84honda200s
07-01-2007, 01:47 AM
i never put oil in my bottom ends on my sleds. all i did was put high temp grease on any open bearing.

RedRider_AK
07-01-2007, 03:02 AM
I agree with 84honda. I think just put some lithium or comparable grease on the bearings you can get to and run it with a little extra oil the first couple of tanks of gas (premix some extra oil in the gas along with the oil injection).

Erics350x
07-01-2007, 09:27 AM
if it has a transmission then yes. if not then no oil in the crankcase.

TimSr
07-01-2007, 01:24 PM
You should absolutely put a small amount of 2 cycle oil in the crank (which is NOT the same thing as a gearbox). About a teaspoon or two is sufficient. 2 cycle motors are designed to maintain a small buildup of residual oil in the bottom of the crank for crank lubrication. If you assemble it dry, and depend on your premix for initial lubrication, you may run for a few hours without building up an adequate amount of oil in the crank for proper lubrication. YOu should also coat your cylinder before installation, but its not nearly as critical since it begins getting lubricated right away.