PDA

View Full Version : Tf Drag Racing,,,,

KASEY
06-27-2007, 08:11 PM
WELL ,, I see that it was a way different outcome than i thought it would be,,, maybe someone who was here could do a recap,,, i was disapointed to see a street bike with a swingarm and a axle won it all,,,,, i was watching all the preperations and work all you racers have been doing all year to try to be king of the hill for a year!!!! all i can say is to bad,,,

so if the street bike blew up,, and the battle shifted ,,, who had the fastest trike? i see garageboy got second ,, was it a good race or did someone miss a gear? AND who's this ANDREA????? I have not seen her on the boards,,, i say way to ROCK the boys ,,, great job!!! i say good job all you racers for keeping REAL TRIKES alive!!! i am not a fan of converted street bikes!!! anyone can go get a wrecked 1000cc 150 plus hp bike and put a swingarm on it,,, thats a whole different class to me,, hell just go buy a couple year old pro stock bike and get some paddles,,, now that would be fast!!!!

Dirtcrasher
06-27-2007, 08:20 PM
My buddy Brett was pretty disappointed. He has a stock 200X that got matched up with a Tri-Z. Doesn't sound too fair to me....

Did he sign up incorrectlt or something?

I would think a few classes would be nice. 200cc and under, 200cc to 350cc modified and an open class would seem a bit better to me. I wans't there so I'm not sure how it's run.

Derrick Adams
06-27-2007, 08:25 PM
I have to agree with you Kasey. I think the streetbike conversion was cool, but totally killed the fun factor for the others (IMO). Luckily Mark (the owner of the streetbike) was such a nice guy that it wasn't so bad to loose to him. Not speaking for anyone else, obviously.

I'd have to say that Garageboy still had the slight advantage on the 500 (Grass-hopper). A close second was Andrea on her 370R. Weighing less than 100lb and knowing how to ride made her a threat instantly.

From there it was kind of a toss up, although Andreas man (Cory) managed to knock everyone else to the losers bracket. Also on a 370R.

Jason Hall
06-27-2007, 08:35 PM
I would say with a good holeshot Billy could run close to the 370's. He got his bike running much better on friday. My 310 was a couple bike's behind the 370's. They were most definatly fast. I got a chance to run against cory on Andreas black R & we ran close till half track, then the 370 pulled on me. Garageboy was blistering fast this year. He had the machine to beat, other than the ridiculous fast 900.

Billy Golightly
06-27-2007, 08:42 PM
I really do feel like I had a very fast machine. On either Wednesday or Thursday (I can't remember the evening for sure) I beat Andrea and Corey both on their 370s, Dales ET sled conversion, Jason Hall's 310, and just about everyone else that lined up against me besides Raffa. His 490 was pretty consistent on beating me that night. I spent the day after and race day both working on and dialing the 500R, It was running even better after I got the alcohol dialed in. I never got a chance to run Garageboy's KXT500 this year...I did beat him last year though. I know he made some changes like a pipe, and I'm not really sure what all else. I got beat by the 900RR in my first elimination of the official drags, and then wheelied off the line in the race against Andrea...almost caught her but couldn't pull it off.

I think most everyone will agree that I had a consistently fast machine (So did raffa) but we were both the victims of stupid little mistakes that we made. They ended up costing both of us.

Derrick Adams
06-27-2007, 08:59 PM
I really do feel like I had a very fast machine. On either Wednesday or Thursday (I can't remember the evening for sure) I beat Andrea and Corey both on their 370s, Dales ET sled conversion, Jason Hall's 310, and just about everyone else that lined up against me besides Raffa. His 490 was pretty consistent on beating me that night. I spent the day after and race day both working on and dialing the 500R, It was running even better after I got the alcohol dialed in. I never got a chance to run Garageboy's KXT500 this year...I did beat him last year though. I know he made some changes like a pipe, and I'm not really sure what all else. I got beat by the 900RR in my first elimination of the official drags, and then wheelied off the line in the race against Andrea...almost caught her but couldn't pull it off.

I think most everyone will agree that I had a consistently fast machine (So did raffa) but we were both the victims of stupid little mistakes that we made. They ended up costing both of us.

I second that! Screamin fast for sure. Just never got a chance to show it off on Friday night.

dizasterzrfun69
06-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I agree Kasey, it was kinda disappointing that these people put all this time and money into their bikes for the last year to run in the drags and then some dude with a "crotch rocket" shows up and takes it all. I have voiced my opinion on the drag classes before so im not even going to start an argument again. I am glad that Rick and dawn took on the task of setting up the drags this year and i think it actually went pretty smooth. I do think there should be more classes but thats another story. Hopefully we can have like 2 more classes for next year and more people will be happy. Thanks again rick and dawn for setting up the drags and doing such a good job for the first year with classes.

As far as who would have won?? I really dont know. I had tunnel vision when i raced andrea on her 370 but i was told she only beat me by like 1 1/2 lengths. Maybe she had a bad holeshot, i dont know. I also beat jason hall and his 310 on my 310 but i know he had a horrible take off and his bike is alot faster than mine. There was a LOT of people getting bad starts, missing shifts, and so on. I was busy trying to get my piece to run right so i didnt see how raffa or billy did. I do know alot of the people were fast. I think andrea, raffa, billy, Erectordale, and garage boy all would have been right at the top if everything would have went smooth and the 900rr wasnt there. Dont know which order they would have been in but they wouldve all been up there.

KASEY
06-27-2007, 09:23 PM
man it would be a killer to have to give up 130 pounds to a good rider,, no matter how much power you have,,,,,,,,, so nobody showed up with a bottle onboard? maybe that will be the next step,,,,,,,,,,,

dizasterzrfun69
06-27-2007, 09:26 PM
man it would be a killer to have to give up 130 pounds to a good rider,, no matter how much power you have,,,,,,,,, so nobody showed up with a bottle onboard? maybe that will be the next step,,,,,,,,,,,

well i think there was a couple bottles there but i know there isnt anyplace around trikefest to get them filled

Billy Golightly
06-27-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm sure we'll be talking about this all year, but I actually don't really have much of a problem with the streetbike conversions...I still hold my same tune I've had, a drag race is a race to see whos faster to point a from point b. Not whos faster but not this, or whos faster but only that, blah blah blah.

Mark on the 900RR showed me how inefficiently I've been spending my money and time, minute and dollar for mile per hour. The question and issue becomes, are the drag races actually drag races, or a showcase for custom creations that hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars have been put into?

Jason Hall
06-27-2007, 09:47 PM
I had a full bottle when I left MI on tuesday. When I opened the valve Wed night she was MT. I'm not makin up excuses, but was really bummed when I saw the 900 show up. I cleaned the top of the bottle where the o-ring seal & Derrick was willing to help me with a ride to get It filled, but the 900 took all the wind out of my sails lol. Better luck next year I guess.

Jason Hall
06-27-2007, 10:00 PM
I would like to add that the street bike convertion was a genious Idea. The latout of the machine Is PERFECT. The front end Is so long (from the swingarm pivot to the front wheel). With the rear suspension setup he had that thing was totally Badd Ass.

Louis Mielke
06-27-2007, 10:24 PM
Obviously we just need to think out side of our little trike "boxes" and think bigger. my brother wants to put a v-tec civic engine in a trike frame. don't think it will get it done but obviously with that 900RR showing up we've been bumped to a new level.

I know I can say this for myself, I wasn't out to win, I was out to have fun.be seen. If that means going out there and being a clown, then slap a red nose and some funny shoes on me. I had a blast getting my butt kicked!

tecat-z
06-27-2007, 10:55 PM
Lets remember that the cbr wasn't the only streetbike powered trike there. The one gentleman had a cb750 bike with a similar setup on the rear. And many of you fast guys were able to keep him reeled in. In this class we have to keep it as, anything on 3 is ok. Nos, turbos, multiple cylinders, etc are all part of the game. And yes it my be a bit discouraging to race a machine such as the 900, but he gave all of us something to remember tf07 by for the rest of our lives. The sickest holeshot i have ever witnessed in dirt. He was a very nice guy, and put together a beautiful bike that still took lots of thought and engineering to pull off.

ATC-Eric
06-27-2007, 11:55 PM
I agree Ed. Everyone was pissed off when they saw that thing, but its not like he just "threw" it together.

On another note, I think Shannons (Viper) big bore Z did pretty good! He was the guy on the black/red Z with Sprocks big bore and a wheelie bar. That thing was scary to watch!! Solid rear suspension that thing just HOOKED!!! I havent watched all my video yet, but I know I have a little of him. He matched up with a couple of bikes I didnt think he would be able to touch.

With all the stuff I saw this year, the inspiration to make something scary of my own is in the works!

Tri-ZNate
06-28-2007, 12:01 AM
The sickest holeshot i have ever witnessed in dirt. .

I'll second that. This pic was right after he let off the clutch. When he got on it the roost went half way up the house, and touched the sucker too

NOS_350X
06-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Dosent matter if its a cr500 kx500 streetbike or 454 bigblock. If your going to say a streetbike isnt fair then neather is a cr500 in a 250r frame. Thats why in racing they have the "production" classes. And i have to dissagree i think it would be much more work to make a decent streetbike conversion compared to a 500 in a R

Dammit!
06-28-2007, 01:55 AM
Too bad there isn't time for more classes. Bike/sled conversions (street and dirt) really should be in an open type class. It would be fun to have some sort of production class for mostly stock machines, a modded class for things like real trikes with built motors, then the open class where the only rule is three wheels. Not possible with the small amount of time there is though.

Were there any unofficial "grudge match" drag races?

Bryan Raffa
06-28-2007, 07:59 AM
Were there any unofficial "grudge match" drag races?

yes there was thursday night and friday before the classes started

sandpuppi101
06-28-2007, 08:28 AM
I have too say that the 900R was a spanking machine ,without a doubt ,but the way the classes were set-up ,it was all fair and that's why he got the trophy.I agree with Raffa that Thurs .and Fri. before the drag's were awesome.My Bro rode my atc 600 like he stole it and I was proud too see that it was even close to running any of your guy's pinger's in the drag's though.He even got Dale on the tiger ,LOL.

350Xhilaration
06-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Lots and Lots of grudge style racing.

I was watching from the bleachers for a half hour or so. I couldn't take it and grabbed the banshee and ran about 30 passes. Then I traded for the 350X and ran about 15 more.

I had a blast.

Jason Hall is one crazy SOB. In one race against me he got a poor start on his TRX250R but was reeling me in near the end. I heard him coming but I didn't want to let off. So both of us are WFO well beyond the "finish" and heading into the rough stuff at the end of the track. I finally let off the gas and grabbed a hand and foot full of brakes to get the banshee slowed down before I went into the woods (wasn't quite that bad, but it felt like it). I look over and he's got a smile from ear to ear. That was a great.

I lined up against Nate (TRIKE) multiple times on the banshee and had some photo finish races. I could care less who wins when it's that close.

I got spanked by the RacerX with Garageboy as the pilot. It was the first drag on my trike since last year and right after swapping from the banshee. I was very timid on the start whereas insane asylum escapee Mark let it rip for all it has (that's the only way this guy knows how to ride, by the way) and he pounded me.

That's not to say I would have won...I've been beat by the RacerX on more than one occasion with a great start. It flies.

I was hoping someone had pics or video of me lining up against raffa with my 350X.

I was all up on the tank ready to go when the board turned.
Raffa was all cranked up ready to let it fly...
Raffa nodded that he was ready
I nodded and revved the engine...
the board turned...
raffa took off like a wildman...

I didn't even let out the clutch. I sat there for about 5 seconds then rolled down the track and pulled off.

I got the laugh I was looking for from Derrick and Dusty running the starting line...wish I had a pic of their faces...priceless.

Rm250RF900R
06-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Does anyone have any video footage of these drags?

oldsking86
06-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Yes some footage of the drags would be good, actually I think raffa has some posted on here a couple pages back but the quality is rough...

As for the 900RR, that bike is not to be messed with much as a normal streetbike itself haha Now put some paddles on the back with 2 wheels you damn right it's going to be a wicked match! haha I think he actually should have belonged at COMP Hill rather then here but what a bike!

Yamahondaman
06-28-2007, 04:45 PM
I'll second that. This pic was right after he let off the clutch. When he got on it the roost went half way up the house, and touched the sucker too

As you can see... that was me in the right lane .. as soon as i "Popped" the Clutch , i let off and coasted down the track .. why waste my time with "THAT THING" ? we've been there - done that stuff .. next year them "THING'S" Need to O N L Y run Exhibition Run's for the "Fan's" and not against 250's ...and maybe the "FIVE 70'S - 80'S " in there own class ....

4cylinders
06-28-2007, 05:42 PM
hey, you need a 4 cylinder class, for just that problem.