PDA

View Full Version : molybdenum disulfide grease what is it?

Rookie
06-27-2007, 07:34 PM
I'm putting the head back on my 83 200X, and they call for that grease to be put on the cam. I don't know what it is ( grease I know, but what kind ) or were to get it. They also call for liquid sealant to go between the head and the cover. what do I use for this ? thanks for the help.

BigRedRunner
06-27-2007, 07:37 PM
The moly stuff the gray paste style camshaft assembly lube. The sealant is just plain old silicone. You should be able to pick up both in any auto parts store

RedRider_AK
06-27-2007, 07:44 PM
Yeah sounds like regular moly grease.

Bryan Raffa
06-27-2007, 07:47 PM
yep moly grease ,,, non melting mulipurpose grease

Dirtcrasher
06-27-2007, 08:24 PM
It's not just silicone. It is Yamabond, Hondabond or 3 bond.....

MD grease contains a certain percentage of MD, it's generally thick and meabt to stay in place. It gets mixed 50-50 with engine oil for some applications, to my knowledge is isn't just plain grease and it has a specific purpose.

Rookie
06-27-2007, 08:34 PM
ok? so should I go to honda for this stuff or will the parts store have it ? What do you guys use ?

BigRedRunner
06-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Hondabond HT Silicon Gasket Sealant - High-temperature silicone liquid gasket, Unique formula is non-acidic and won't corrode aluminium like other silicone gasket products will. ...Quite simply our favorite silicone sealant. Dries quickly, remains flexable, resists vibration. Resists gasoline, oil, water, and most chemicals.

Sounds like silicone to me :rolleyes: Unless that was a jab at the fancy little proprietary names these companies give to their basic chemical line. Its to hard to interpret things on the internet sometimes. :crazy:

You can read about the moly grease on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molybdenum_disulphide

Crane cams sell the moly paste http://www.cranecams.com/index.php?show=browseParts&lvl=2&prt=15

The whole reason for moly paste is so you have some lubrication during the intial startup until the oil pump can supply oil to the head. Moly grease is better under high pressure applications like camshafts as to opposed the white lithium grease used in the rest of the engine during assembly. Moly paste is not meant to be cut with motor oil in a camshaft installation. Just stick your finger in there and rub it on. :p

To be honest, I just give the valve train area a healthy dose of motor oil, a thin bead of silicone, and drop the rocker cover on.

blue27
06-28-2007, 06:40 AM
You need to use Hondabond or something similar, Hondabond is a semi drying sealant designed to flex and give without leaking, these motors are aluminum and absorb heat that will cause expansion and many parts that touch do not heat or expand in the same rate causing friction and this can make regular silicon tear. I perfer Hondabond over Yamabond, I think the Yamabond is to running. IMO
as for cam lube I use engine assembly lube from NAPA its is a thick sticky red lube that does not run off the cam and bearings as fast as motor oil if you have MD thats fine.

Rookie
06-28-2007, 07:09 AM
Thanks guys. I don't have any of this stuff and I wanted to make sure I didn't fry anything after putting it back together. I'll go get some. Again, thanks