PDA

View Full Version : Couple of T-3 questions

tecate kid
06-27-2007, 04:42 PM
I am going to be redoing the top end of my '84 T-3 sometime in the near future, and was wondering if you have to hone the jug before the new piston goes in? It still has the original plating in it and I'm putting in a wiseco piston kit. My next question is once its rebuilt what should I run for jets?

It will have,
1. New wiseco piston kit
2. Boysen power reeds
3. 36 in. Mikuni carb.
4. I think I am going to go with a clamp on filter not sure of the brand yet.
5. The pipe and silencer is still stock, but I plan on doing at least a different silencer.

If I think of something else I'll post it up.
tecate kid

i58829
06-27-2007, 05:02 PM
I personally wouldn't assemble anything without atleast a quick hone, it will help everything fit better and clean up any minor issues or oxidation from sitting. It could save a lot of time and money in the future...

ccdhowell
06-27-2007, 05:45 PM
I'd hone it too. As far as jetting, maybe start with a 260 main and 40 pilot, something like that.

scooterroo
06-27-2007, 08:42 PM
if its still plated and the plating is good you dont hone it at all!!!!!!!!!! honing it will destroy your nikasil plating. if you ruin the nikasil, you would either need to renik it or have to drop a sleeve in it.

tecate kid
06-27-2007, 08:54 PM
How bad can the jug look, I haven't tore it apart yet, but by looking into the jug I think it has some scuffs on it. Might just be my imagination but looked like possible scoring. Once its apart I'll snap some pics for you guys to see, but for now I just need to know what to look for on jets.
tecate kid

BigGreenMachine
06-27-2007, 10:55 PM
You can and should use a "diamond brush hone" available from Wiseco for like $70 to give it a good crosshatch for the rings to seat and remove the glazing from the cylinder wall. This is for Nikisel.

A regular ball hone will be fine if its been sleeved with a cast iron liner.

tecate kid
06-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Nope, still has the factory nikisil in it. I really don't want to spend $70 on the hone just for this one time. ( I know it will need a rebuild again, but I think it will be time for a big bore by then). Might tear into it this weekend, so watch for pics.
tecate kid