PDA

View Full Version : anyone know bout my engine??

Clioboy1200
05-06-2003, 05:59 AM
Hey there, Ive said before, ive started rebuilding the engine on my 250big red. Ive the cases off both sides and the cylinder off, gasket still in tact! I need to get into the gearbox to fix a few gremlins in there and have removed all the bolts around this case for sure, but the cases wont split. I also have the magnet flywheel off to let the crank slip out. Do I need to get the crank bearing pressed out or is there a fastner other than the outside bolts which I have forgot about??

jeswinehart
05-06-2003, 07:00 AM
Clioboy1200, they come apart hard some times but use caution.

Clioboy1200
05-07-2003, 08:23 AM
Thanx mate, its not so much the shafts causing me the problem, its the actual splitting of the cases. The problem is, before I bought the bike, the final drive shaft had been removed by removing that last shaft from the engine. When this shaft was replaced, there was a part missing, so that the bike will not engage 1st or 2nd gears correctly! I checked bikebandit and rekon I can get the part quite reasonably, just cant get the cases split to replace it! Has anyone else had this problem?

Howdy
05-07-2003, 09:49 AM
I have never had that problem before. That sounds weird but very possible. It could be they bent the shifting forks trying to remove it. ( If I am thinking correctly here ).

If you need parts let me know. I have a bunch of good used parts for that motor. ;)

Howdy

jeswinehart
05-07-2003, 09:38 PM
it might be that sealant was added to both sides of the center case gasket.
you ain't supposed to do that cuz it might haft to be take apart again someday. you probblty know it as permatex. used to hold gasket in place while you put the other side up to it. normally used on one (1) side of a gasket.

Clioboy1200
05-09-2003, 01:03 PM
Right I think Ive it figured, stop me if Im wrong. There seems to be a spacer missing on the final drive in the gearbox. I removed the three allen key screws from the drive gear case and removed the shaft (along with that small case). The first stop on that shaft is a circlip, then a thin spacer with splines, then a thicker spacer with splines according to bikebandit. Im missing this thicker spacer! would this be causing my problem?? Also, how the heck do I replace this shaft, it aint goin straight in?? Plus, ive a new piston in so how do I set the cam's/cogs/flywheel to replace the chain?? Thanx already guys!

Clioboy1200
05-09-2003, 05:04 PM
Anyone??? Please!!?? :oops: