PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Breathing Tecate

BigGreenMachine
06-24-2007, 10:56 PM
Guys, going over an airbox idea in my head and have it pretty well figured except for a couple of dimensions.

I want to use the big TRX250R filter on my Tecate to get the motor breathing like it should.

What I need from you guys is the mounting flange O.D. of any year TRX250R where the carb boot attaches to the outside of the airbox and the O.D. of the flange where the filter clamps down inside the airbox.

ccdhowell
06-25-2007, 12:13 AM
That's a good idea. Are you gonna mount it under the seat? If so, how are you gonna get around the shock?

I have the stock airbox and now with my 300 kit installed and broken in, it is running out of air on the topend. Feels like it would keep on pulling, but the air restrictions, even with no lid are too much.

Let me know what you figure out.\

Chris

BigGreenMachine
06-25-2007, 09:14 AM
Chris, its like if you took the stock airbox and cut the back half (shock side) off and left enough that you could stretch a Outerwears Pre Filter over the opening. It will mount to the stock mounts but the filter will be larger and the shell will all be aluminum with a removeable Outerwears for a lid.

BigGreenMachine
06-27-2007, 11:49 PM
BUMP

NEED those two dimensions please anybody.

ccdhowell
06-28-2007, 11:55 AM
So you cut the back side out of your airbox. I love it and I never thought of it either. I've been racking my brain trying to figure out a way around the shock so I can mount a airbox on the rear frame underside. I just may try the cutup airbox thing, I have a spare airbox. My 300 needs to breathe better and I don't want to just stick a K&N cone on it. Chris

mdunn
06-28-2007, 12:55 PM
Are you sure you are airbox limited and not carb limited? What carb are you running with that 300? My guess is if you are falling off top, trying going to a larger jet first, and then see if you can find a 38mm or 39mm carb...will really wake it up.

jason 32
06-28-2007, 01:04 PM
cant you guys use some auto radiator hose with a bend to go around the shock?
it will not restrict the flow- just divert it- then you could use a closed box

BigGreenMachine
06-28-2007, 03:11 PM
Chris, are you running the stock carb? I have a 38mm Mikuni TMX in the classifieds setup for my 250 T3.

As for the airbox, if you cut the back out make sure the UNI is in good condition to keep the extra dirt out. I'd definately look into getting a Outerwears to cover the back half of the airbox if you intend to leave it that way.

I'll be running the cut stock airbox with a stock style UNI and pantyhose stretched over the opening of the box to keep dirt out. Only temp until I make a custom aluminum box of the same style with the TRX-R filter and an Outerwear over the opening.

ccdhowell
06-28-2007, 08:06 PM
James I thought you were keeping that carb. How much you asking for it? That should be enough for my 300. I still running the stock 34 carb. I talked to Viper at TF, he has a buddy that can do wonders with a Lectron supposedly for a good price. I'm waiting on his phone call before I do anything about the carb. I like the aribox idea. I was thinking about cutting out the top side of the airbox and covering it with mesh. If I cut the backside out, mud and water will easily get in there, or clog up the prefilter.

BigGreenMachine
06-28-2007, 08:53 PM
Did mine tonight, a lot of cutting and testing fit. Keep in mind that I had to mate this to the odd angle the Tecate boot has put my PWK in. Anyways its in there and all sealed up.

If anyone has their airbox off you will want to drill out the rivets holding the carb adapter to the airbox and seal the ring with liquid gasket maker because there is nothing clamping it shut.

Heres mine, more to be posted in my rebuild thread.

BigGreenMachine
07-01-2007, 10:19 PM
The TRX airbox flanges are 4" OD and 3.75 ID.

Hoping to use something like this silicone reducer to mate the airbox flange to the carb though it needs to be 2.75" to 4".

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140132485387