PDA

View Full Version : Taller front end??

Rustytinhorn
06-24-2007, 07:22 PM
Before I start let me say that I have already done searches on spring, shocks, forks, fork oil, and whatnot today.

My '85 250r front forks ride like a fluffy cloud, I can look and watch the front tire go up down through the bumps, and the front end rides 200% smooth.
My dilema is that my front end saggs a bit. When sitting, I can lift it up several inches, and when I get on to ride it will compress way in the devil down there. And no I dont bottom out.
Is there anyway I can increase the height of my front end (aka less saggy) and raise it back up to the top without effecting my dampening??
I know the heavier weight oil the stiffer the suspension, so could I just add more oil to boost the front end, or would doing that make my front end stiffer? what about spacers?
I also run about 6lbs of air in each fork.
Thanks

DeePa
06-24-2007, 07:25 PM
first off, take the air out of the forks. Its just going to lead to blown seals. The only reason those valves are on the fork caps is to bleed air out.

Get some pvc the diameter of the fork springs and cut them in 1/2, 1 , and 1 1/2 inches and swap them around to get the preload that you want.

Mike

Rustytinhorn
06-24-2007, 07:30 PM
If I added spacers would I need to add more oil to the forks to bring the level back up and take up some of that empty space that would be created by the spacers pushing the forks apart?

super90
06-24-2007, 08:55 PM
You could use some lightweight oil. I have a 1'' spacer in both of mine and use 5wt oil. Its very light but the springs are very stiff and it sits high with about 1'' of sag. I cant stand a low front end either.

Rustytinhorn
06-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info.
Will the oil level determine fork stiffness also?