PDA

View Full Version : need help!

xman23
06-20-2007, 10:22 PM
alright fella my 200x is being a pain in the you know what to start, but once I get it fired up it runs great, my mods are webb cam, 10.25-1high compression piston and a super trapp pipe. I was messing around with it and put the stock pipe back on it and rejetted back down to see if that helped but nothing. Do I need to go bigger onmy piolet jet? Also would messing with my air screw help? right noweverything is set at factory specs. It has really good spark, I just cant figure it out and its making me mad, Im supposed to go riding this weekend with somefriends and dont want to go through all this trouble starting it, thanx in advance if you have any sollutions

super90
06-20-2007, 10:35 PM
so its not starting easily? Whats the plugs look like? Did you adjust the valves?

Erics350x
06-20-2007, 10:55 PM
Does it start easier on half choke?

bigreddaddy
06-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Hard to start how? Do you mean kicking the starter is hard or it just doesn't want to fire up? As you probably know the high compression piston will need more muscle to kick it over.
Start with the main 3. FUEL/AIR, SPARK, COMPRESSION.

Also make sure your using the correct plug.

Dirtcrasher
06-24-2007, 12:17 PM
If you've got a ST on there, it has to be jetted up. I'd also take that airbox lid off.

As an example I'll tell ya this. I put a ST on a 250SX, yanked the AB lid and fattened up all jetting. It ran like THA BOMB!! From starting to running, that thing ripped. One day I bought 6 1" diameter filters for another AB lid I had. I drilled it all out for the filters and popped them in. That thing wouldn't start and when it did, it coughed, sputtered and ran like crap. I pulled the lid off and it was back to the super machine. Matching jets and air/fuel mixtures isn't easy to get spot on. But, even an amateur can get it close enough to where it will start and run great. Keep posting.....

xman23
06-24-2007, 05:06 PM
no its not that hard to kick over, Im not that weak..lol, it doesnt want to start up, Ive been busy with country fest here in wisconsin,but tommorow im gonna play with her again, right now I have the air box lid on, its got good spark I already checked that, compression is real good, and yes sometimes it starts easier on half choke. During the winter I went riding every weekend on the ice and I had to be pulled behind my friends quad and pop start it, then once it got warm, It would be easy to start it. As for the plug, I put the stock pipe back on and it still looks to black like its running rich, any ideas there?

RedRider_AK
06-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Check your carb for flooding?

84honda200s
06-24-2007, 05:20 PM
if its running rich adjust the air screw to lean it out.

xman23
06-25-2007, 05:38 PM
screw it in to lean it out right? also what do you mean by checking my carb for flooding?

BigRedRunner
06-25-2007, 06:07 PM
Try setting your pilot screw 2 turns out and get the thing running (if you can). Turn your pilot screw inwards until the bike starts running like crap. Then back the screw out (counting the number of turns) until the bike starts running like crap again. Say doing that required 1.5 turns. Take that number and divide by two (in our example... 1.5/2=.75). Then you would take your screw and turn it back inwards 3/4 of a turn.

The point of this being that you want to set your pilot screw in the middle of the adjustment range between too rich and too lean. Once you get in that spot, turn off the bike and count the number of turns it takes to screw it ALL the way in. Anywhere between 1.5-2.5 turns is fine. If its outside of that window, you need to change your pilot.

xman23
06-27-2007, 10:26 PM
alright ill try this tommorow after work, if the piolet screw is off would that cause it to start hard?

BigRedRunner
06-27-2007, 10:55 PM
alright ill try this tommorow after work, if the piolet screw is off would that cause it to start hard?

Yes it would, but I think ideas about tearing the carb down, soaking it, and blowing it out with compressed air are good ones. The pilot jet has little biddy holes on the sides of it that tend to gum up rather easy.