PDA

View Full Version : 85 200X Clutch...HELP!!!

Noah
06-19-2007, 01:14 AM
Hey guys, thought I would ask here...

I recently acquired a 85 200x. I had a 250sx years ago and really missed having a three wheeler.
I saw this sitting behind someones house and asked if I could have it, they said, "Yes get that rubbish outa our yard!! Please!!!"

And so i took it home.:w00t:

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/16.jpg

Some weeks later, im at this point.

http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/500/medium/112.jpg

Now here is where im stuck.:(

Having never done bike motors before im unsure about some of the issues with the clutch throw out that is located in the right crankcase cover.

When i replaced the clutch and tightened up the 4 springs I noticed that they had to be torqued down quite a bit so that the right crankcase cover fits.
But, how much is too much? Once the cover is installed how much play should it have before it engages the clutch? Or, should the throw out lever rest against the push rod for the clutch, thereby causing the push rod bearing to spin at all times?

I suppose it would anyway since once I have the cable hooked on the clutch throw out lever it will be snug... did i just answer my own question? The clutch springs should be adjusted to that when you install the right crankcase cover, the throw out lever attached to the right crankcase moves ever so slightly before engaging.

Can someone confirm my rantings?:wondering

edog
06-19-2007, 06:18 AM
PM sent..........

Mastacator
06-19-2007, 09:23 AM
Well, I can't help much on the clutch adjustment....
The lever free play length is 3/8" to 3/4" and I the bolts on the clutch center should be torqued to between 29-36 ft.lb.

I just wanted to add, you've done one hell of a job on that X!!! Wow!! the engine detail looks fantastic!! I see you went a "chopper" style on the cooling fins, black engine, with the edges of the fins polished up!! Man its night and day from when you started!! Awesome job! Awesome!:w00t:

BigRedRunner
06-19-2007, 11:41 AM
I'm scoping out your garage and wondering what "Romaine Hearts" are.

Noah
06-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Mastacator,

Thanks bru :D
It has been a fun project. I have restored jeeps for years but never did a bike before..a whole different world, but its nice to know what you have when you are finished!

I have the torque specs on the clutch nut (the one that takes the tooth socket)

But its the actual springs im a bit curious about. How far you tightened those four bolts that go through the springs.

free play length it 3/8-3/4 eh? wow thats alot of leeway! haha..sounds like im within that!

Thanks for the info!

BigRed...
Romaine Hearts is a certain kind of lettuce
Gotta keep the goats fed :)

Cheers guys
Aloha

SYKO
06-19-2007, 03:59 PM
I cant really remember when I put my springs back in my old x how much I tightended them all I know I spend abotu 45 minutes puting in new clutches tightened everything back up I torqued everything till GORILLA SPEC! and then rode the hell out!

Mr. Clean
06-19-2007, 04:12 PM
Make sure you show the previous owners how the "rubbish" turned out. Great job!!!

Solid Snake
06-20-2007, 06:26 PM
You tighten those down until they stop and make them snug. That is the four bolts that press the plate that presses the springs down, they go down all the way, right out of the Honda and Clymer manuals it says to do it and I've done it. I am positive that is what you do. The nut requiring the 4 toothed sprocket gets torqued but it sounds like you already have that figured out. FYI the torque spec for that nut is 40-50 N*m or 29-36 ft*lb

insaneclowns
06-20-2007, 09:49 PM
Solid Snake is right to tight the 4 bolts down intill they are tight. you have compress all the springs down u just start on one and tight a little then go across from it and tight it down. as long as you keep workin your way around they intill they are good and tight.

i hope this make sense
Eric

Noah
06-21-2007, 04:20 AM
Sounds good, I'll turn em down tight as a tick.
Thanks fellas!:cool: