PDA

View Full Version : Hot dipping a rusted tank?

Twilight
06-19-2007, 12:53 AM
Well I looked at the 86 200x gas tank, and it was just... RUSTED, when I pulled the tank off and dumped the gas out... it was a dark red! UGH, I asked a few people and they all said hot dipping is the fastest way out

Maico
06-19-2007, 12:58 AM
Take it to your local auto parts store that has a parts hot tank. That will make her nice and clean BUT....kiss the paint and decals goodbye. Remove the petcock too.

Twilight
06-19-2007, 01:01 AM
haha what paint and decals =\ also what about my rubber tank mounts?

Noah
06-19-2007, 07:13 AM
take the tank mounts off as well

The hot tank will eat everything, it doesn't generally eat rubber like it does paint, but can still distort it, or "melt" it

good luck

BigRedRunner
06-19-2007, 11:46 AM
Hot tank isn't going to do much for rust. You're going to need some kind of vibratory cleaning or possibly see if you can't get in there and sand blast. You can also do the ghetto approach and throw in a bunch of nuts and bolts in there with some thinned naval jelly, shake like hell, flush, and use some tank liner.

ScottZJ
06-19-2007, 01:13 PM
Well you need to run some acid thru the inside of the tank. This will eat all the rust away and also find any thin or bad spots on the tank. Running it thru the Hot tank wont find the weak points of the tank and you might have leaking issues down the road.

Maico
06-20-2007, 01:20 AM
I don't know about the hot tanks in your guys' area but back in MI, it removed ALL RUST, PAINT and any filler that was used. I've dunked some of the nastiest, rustiest, found out in the fields BBC heads and they came back CLEAN. If there was any corrosion under all that rust and grime...it showed.

The nuts and bolts in navel jelly works really well too....just dont shake too hard or you get the tiny little dents like on the bottom of a rattle paint can.

Clean pea gravel works well too.