PDA

View Full Version : Never used a clutch... anyone have a tutorial

Twilight
06-16-2007, 05:13 PM
Haha, I have never used a manual...anything before. In fact, I thought that was the brake lever. Anyway, I have a couple questions;

1) Theres a button called PKE on the bike... whats that?
2) How do I safely use a clutch, haha?

ATC-Eric
06-16-2007, 05:38 PM
I think that PKE is the parking brake. You push the button down, and pull the clutch to lock it in place. Play with it a bit, its pretty simple.

Best way to learn a clutch, is to get out and ride. A good way Ive tought people in the past;

Keep the engine RPM's solid as you engage the clutch. If the motor starts to die down, either give it more gas, or pull the clutch a little.

Get out and ride, you'll have it in no time!

honda_atc200es
06-16-2007, 05:42 PM
1) atc-eric has the right idea

2) pull in the clutch shift into gear give it a little gas (not alot unless you want wheelie) and slowly release the clutch until you feel it engage, when it does the bike will move and your fine.

if you dont already know when shifting into a gear while moving (2nd, 3rd,4th ect....) let off the gas pull in clutch shift, little gas and relase clutch. once you get used to it youll be fine.

if you run into trouble clutch is your friend pull it in and your fine. my first manula was a pitbike, and i would either stall the bike or flip it untill i got the hang of it.

relase clutch too fast and the bike will stall if you dont give it gas.

give it too much gas and relase clutch too fast and youll be on your bum before you know what happened

have fun with it, i like manual better than semi or auto, and there are lots of fun things you can do with them when u get the hang of it

Tri-ZNate
06-16-2007, 05:42 PM
ok first thing is first, FIND NEUTRAL. its halfway between 1st and 2nd. second is when you start out pull the cluitch in, go to first, give it a litle throttle so your rpms are up and SLOWLY let the clutch out. Once you get moving and have the RPMs up let off the throttle, pull the clutch in, shift up, and release the clutch. Do not engage slowly at this point. And just get used to it. after a while you'll figure out that you only need the clutch for starting and stopping. On the tri-z i can find neutral while moving without the clutch :lol:

chris200x
06-16-2007, 05:44 PM
When we taught my girlfriend she got it pretty quickly after I told he to let off the clutch the same amount as giving it gas. (kinda don't make sense lol) but after that she got it pretty quickly.

the hardest part is pulling out... After you get going it's just a matter of pulling in the lever before you shift then releasing it afterwards. When you slow down it's pretty much the same deal. downshifting until coming to a complete stop.

honda_atc200es
06-16-2007, 05:46 PM
ok first thing is first, FIND NEUTRAL. its halfway between 1st and 2nd. second is when you start out pull the cluitch in, go to first, give it a litle throttle so your rpms are up and SLOWLY let the clutch out. Once you get moving and have the RPMs up let off the throttle, pull the clutch in, shift up, and release the clutch. Do not engage slowly at this point. And just get used to it. after a while you'll figure out that you only need the clutch for starting and stopping. On the tri-z i can find neutral while moving without the clutch :lol:

isnt that bad for your tranny?

ATC-Eric
06-16-2007, 06:17 PM
isnt that bad for your tranny?

Not when you rev match. You'll learn when its okay to shift without the clutch.

70ATC90
06-16-2007, 07:55 PM
Its exactly like driving a stick shift truck or car, ever done that?

rassagmc
06-16-2007, 08:21 PM
Not when you rev match.

:wondering please explain this to me

SPD FRK
06-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Rev Match. Never heard it called that. We called it floating the engine. It's where you match RPMs with ground speed so that no load is on the engine. Unless I'm thinking way out in left.

4cylinders
06-16-2007, 08:51 PM
hey, first... lean forward. let off the brake. let off the clutch, put on the gas. say bye bye.

ATC-Eric
06-16-2007, 09:26 PM
Rev match:

When your engines RPM's match the next gear. Its when your high in the RPM's in 2nd gear, and you shift to third (without the clutch). You can feel the point where it smoothly kicks to the next gear.

Trial and error is the best way. Try not using the clutch through the middle gears, like I said you can feel the point where it dosent "CHUNK", instead it smoothly hits the next gear and you hit the gas.

Each bike is different, you have to get the feel for what you ride.

the great gazoo
06-16-2007, 10:14 PM
Wow, an actual term for it, revmatch. I've been doing it for years & never thought somebody'd rig a name up for it?

honda_atc200es
06-16-2007, 11:01 PM
this isnt bad for the tranny at all? im very confused why wouldnt you want to use the clutch and if u can do this why would you use a clutch

Tri-ZNate
06-16-2007, 11:06 PM
this isnt bad for the tranny at all? im very confused why wouldnt you want to use the clutch and if u can do this why would you use a clutch

you use the clutch for starting and stopping. Its easier in the trails for me if I can just slap shift it instead of working the clutch constantly. Just get on it, let off the throttle and shift. Never had a grind

honda_atc200es
06-16-2007, 11:09 PM
and this will work with downshifting aswell?

Twilight
06-16-2007, 11:26 PM
Tried to use the PKE as a parking brake...lol rolled down a hill. I havent heard any grinding while shifting without the clutch... is that bad?

super90
06-16-2007, 11:33 PM
It would probably be better to just use the clutch and get used to it for when you really need it. Like if your on a hill and stall and dont know how to use the clutch properly, your probably stuck there or rolling backwards.

bigreddaddy
06-17-2007, 12:43 AM
Just practice, practice, practice. You'll get it.

super90
06-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Yes, You will get a hold of it fast. First day I got my blaster when I was 13 I ran it into a tree. But after all day of riding I was fairly confident in myself to go riding out in the open. Once you get a few rides in on it it should be a breeze.

Twilight
06-17-2007, 04:41 AM
Thanks you guys, better than just trail and error... but thats what I have to do huh? haha

ATC-Eric
06-17-2007, 06:22 AM
I forgot to mention, When Im just slowly cruising, I use the clutch.

When Im all up into the throttle I rev match. When Im REALLY getting on it, I just let off the gas for a SPLIT second to hit the next gear. Otherwise its the clutch with just the slow stuff!

cr480r
06-18-2007, 07:01 AM
May as well use the clutch... thats what its there for... As your skills progress you'll find that the clutch is a useful tool in more situations than just starting and stopping... dont be afraid to abuse the clutch... unlike automotive clutches, atv clutches are cheap and easy to replace... Rev-matching is a waste of time IMO... Pin the throttle, grap the clutch, and shift... I dont know about you guys... But my fingers are just as fast as my foot...