PDA

View Full Version : Oury Lock-On grips?

Dammit!
06-13-2007, 02:53 PM
Anybody familiar with them that can offer an opinion or even explain exactly what the kit comes with and how it works? I'm looking for a soft compound grip but they usually won't stay in place no matter what you do. If this lock-on system works, this might be the ticket.

Any other suugestions for a soft compound grip and some kind of locking system?

Kintore
06-13-2007, 03:14 PM
I love my ourys, and if you use zip ties correctly, you cant feel them at all with gloves on. And they help with grip in mud, but Mr Sand dunes wont have that problem will ya?

Dammit!
06-13-2007, 03:17 PM
Don't have to worry about mud. My problems are mainly twisting and comfort. A soft compound grip like what they use would probably reduce fatigue by quite a bit. Not to mention the blistering. I'm just concerned about having them slipping around. I have problems with even the harder compound grips slipping in the dunes.

Kintore
06-13-2007, 03:20 PM
Hmm, After one zip tie on both sides, and 1 in the middle Im getting NO turning whatsoever on mine. Try it out Doug, 8 buck oury Atv ones of ebay, and make sure to get the black ones. Someone told me I think Rick that they last and are the strongest ones of all colours. Then Zip tie them!

Dammit!
06-13-2007, 03:22 PM
I was already planning on black just because the other colors look like crap after a little bit of use.

You don't have any problems with the connector on the zip ties digging into your hands?

Kintore
06-13-2007, 03:29 PM
Not if you position them correctly, took me about 4 tries before I was satisfied with them, and wearing gloves I can not feel them at all! Seriously

super90
06-13-2007, 04:02 PM
Anyone ever hear of grip glue!? I had my grips on for about 6 months now and they never moved once.

Kintore
06-13-2007, 04:08 PM
Yah I tried 4 diff brands, Honda, Pro Tack, Umm and a few others. No dice for me!

Dammit!
06-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Anyone ever hear of grip glue!? I had my grips on for about 6 months now and they never moved once.

That stuff is crap. Guaranteed after one hour of dune riding on a machine with any kind of power, any grips held by that stuff will be slipping all over the place. Gloss spray paint works better but still not 100%. The problem is worse on soft compound grips.

Not if you position them correctly, took me about 4 tries before I was satisfied with them, and wearing gloves I can not feel them at all! Seriously

Get some pics and save me the trouble of finding the sweet spots by trial and error. :lol: :beer

BigGreenMachine
06-13-2007, 04:28 PM
HA HA Yeah some pics for me too, got some soft OURY's that have to go on soon.

Kintore
06-13-2007, 04:37 PM
Here ya go, on the right side viewing from our angle, there is just one on both ends. I put 3 of the left cause 2 did not hold it, guess working the throttle moves it more?
The one on the ends are too much of a hassle, just look where your hands normally sit, and mark it. So then you can do it yourself, mine sweet spots may be different than yours. :beer

200x newby
06-13-2007, 04:38 PM
i dont use anything....... my grips are always tight fits i a little water for lube to slip it on and then it desolves and the grips stay in place.

max
06-13-2007, 04:48 PM
I have grips on my R. They have the lock on it I think your talking about. They slide on snuck. Then there is a clamp on the inner side of the grip you tighten with and allen key. Mine hold very tight and do not move. Loosen the clamp and they come off with ease.

However mine arent oury. I dont ever remember the name. But I can vouch and say mine work good Doug.

Dammit!
06-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Does it say the name brand on them Max? It would be weird if they didn't have any writing at all on them.

super90
06-13-2007, 05:03 PM
Yeah i forgot about the dunes. The heat and constant pulling on the grips would rip the grip glue off pretty fast. But for the zip ties, i think you could use smaller ones and they would be less noticeable. But Ive always used real thin wire and just twisted it around the end of the grips. On my renthals theres 2 little slots for wire or small zip ties.

honda250sx
06-13-2007, 05:10 PM
I use SLP anti slip grips. They were designed by sno cross racers. They never move. I use pro taper grip glue to boot.

badasskfx
06-13-2007, 07:06 PM
odi make the best lock on grips $20 threw dennise kirk. they will not work with a twist throttle. i was going through 3 to 4 sets of grips a year on my v force now im going on 2 years with these odi. there are none finer. they were made for water craft so thre are no issues with coming off. the wetter they get the stickier they get. simply the best. you can also check them out at www.blowsion.com if you want fancy end plugs and colored lock on rings.

hrc200x
06-13-2007, 08:24 PM
I didn't know Oury was as popular grip as it is. Anyone have tricks for making them not so sticky? I usually ride with no gloves. Seems like when they are new they are sticky and colorful, but after a few rides they turn black and arn't as bad, which kinda defeats the purpose of colored grips.

pickleweasel_00
06-13-2007, 11:42 PM
I got a set of the moose grips from dennis kirk for around $18 that have the aluminum clamp on either end with an allen screw to snug them down. They aren't terribly soft but not too firm either. But they never move!

dizasterzrfun69
06-14-2007, 12:47 AM
I must have manly hands or something lol. I run the $8 a set scott grips with some grip glue and they seem to do alright. theres to many grips to choose from so i keep it cheap and simple.

Dammit!
06-14-2007, 01:45 AM
I must have manly hands or something lol. I run the $8 a set scott grips with some grip glue and they seem to do alright. theres to many grips to choose from so i keep it cheap and simple.

It just depends on what you're doing. In all my years of riding in Ohio, I never had any problems with grips. I always just used a little bit of high gloss spray paint and that was it. Never moved. Ever since I started riding at Glamis I've had problems with it. All the twisting around and white knuckle hillshooting is too much for the paint or the glue.

super90
06-14-2007, 02:08 AM
Suprisingly the most comfortable grips for my riding style is the foam grips that come on little aluminum scooters. They are very hard to wear down fast and real soft. When i used them i wraped a couple strips of electrical tape around the foam to compress it and they worked great until they get wet. Then they either freeze in the winter or get your gloves soaked. But for dunes I would run them personally.

Dammit!
06-14-2007, 03:19 AM
We were talking about foam grips at the last ride. Brent had a 350x with them out there. The popular opinion was that it would increase arm pump because you have to grip them tighter. I took the 350x for just a short ride and I'd have to agree. Not good for duning or desert riding.

cr480r
06-14-2007, 03:48 AM
I always run $7.99 scott hurricane grips... I glue them on with "Grip-It" and literally have to cut them off to replace 'em... I can wear them down all the way through to the bars and they still wont slip... I tried many different types of grip glues and only Grip-It has worked well for me... before I had to use wire to hold them on...

atctim
06-14-2007, 08:11 AM
I have found a cheap easy way to get grips to stay put with something prolly just about everybody has laying around in their garage - spray paint. I just spray a little in the grip before installing them - the spray paint works as a good lubricant for sliding them on - and then in about an hour - it sets up and they are on very tight. Works for me.

I have been using scott grips for years.

ceaserthethird
06-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Weld those Grip's on !

Billy Golightly
06-14-2007, 05:03 PM
Chevy57Harly79 has the ODI lock on grips on his 250R, they look very nice and theres no chance they'd slip. You might PM him if you'd like some information on them straight from the source :)

badasskfx
06-14-2007, 07:58 PM
Chevy57Harly79 has the ODI lock on grips on his 250R, they look very nice and theres no chance they'd slip. You might PM him if you'd like some information on them straight from the source :)

im a pretty good source too:D i gave a good review above ;)

RedRider_AK
06-16-2007, 12:51 AM
I used some Pro-Grip locking grips. It uses a clamp with two set-screws on the outside of the grip, and included an allen wrench. Honestly, I took those off in a heartbeat after I did some aggressive riding. I was using them on my Yamaha 500SX in the winter, but they had the thinnest layer of rubber I've ever seen. The liner under the rubber is hard and will tear your hands up in short time if you ride anything other than cruising at 20 mph on smooth terrain.

RedRider_AK
06-16-2007, 12:53 AM
Somewhat off topic here, but: the best way I figured to "lock on" grips is carb cleaner. You take them off, spray a blast in the grip, slide it on, and it melts the grip onto the bar. Even in wet weather, no slippage to be seen.

viper
06-16-2007, 02:17 AM
all i ever use is renthal grips and some grip glue and thay have never came loose and the gripps seem to last a long time .. 1 set on my play bike is 3 years old and thay are still good ..run them on my cheetah drag bike and thay havent ever came loose .

Dammit!
06-16-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm telling you guys, there is no type of adhesive that will make them not slip for the location and type of riding I do. I managed to get my last set not to slip for a few months in the winter but at Razor Road when it was 105+ degrees out, anything you use will heat up and start slipping. The only solution is going to be some kind of locking system, safety wire or zip ties.

viper
06-16-2007, 01:59 PM
believe what you want but if i can run my 535 drag bike all day when at the dunes without grips coming loose you can find something that will work on your 250r also ...

Dammit!
06-16-2007, 02:05 PM
Not in that kind of heat with endless trails full of whoops. I just don't think it's possible for any type of adhesive to deal with that. Like I said, at cooler temps (cooler meaning below 90, lol) they were fine. At 105 they started slipping and they were on there like concrete prior to that. This was also with a hard compound grip and I need to switch to a soft compound grip which will make the problem even worse.

viper
06-16-2007, 02:57 PM
i would use the safety wire on them if glue wont work for ya .......but i think i will look at the lock on grips myself

SpeedBump
06-16-2007, 06:22 PM
Doug..I know you don't want to attempt to use adhesive, but a suggestion...3M Automotive Body Moulding Glue. I just did some Oury Grips and it may work. I also use the zip-tie trick. Works well here...can't even tell with the gloves on...but for you in the sandbox...it may be too hot for gloves, and then you're screwed.

cr480r
06-17-2007, 05:09 AM
I'm telling you guys, there is no type of adhesive that will make them not slip for the location and type of riding I do. I managed to get my last set not to slip for a few months in the winter but at Razor Road when it was 105+ degrees out, anything you use will heat up and start slipping. The only solution is going to be some kind of locking system, safety wire or zip ties.

Use "Grip-it" grip glue....... If they slip it would be because the grip has torn away from itself or the bars were dirty during installation... I have to cut my grips off with a razor to replace them... I run grips until the handlebars show through... no slipping... rain or shine..

vegas250rr
06-17-2007, 01:59 PM
Doug, I use Grip it glue on knurled bars and I havent had a problem. you guys may ride a little harder than me, but I really think the knurled ends have something to do with it... try sanding your bars to give the glue a "tooth"
it might work for you

Dammit!
06-17-2007, 02:08 PM
I've tried everything with the bars I have now. Paint on bare metal, paint on paint, glue on bare metal, glue on painted metal, sanded metal, sanded paint, hairspray, no adhesive at all, etc. Nothing works when you start slamming through the whoops in the high heat. Gonna have to safety wire, zip tie or get some lock ons. Never tried bars like yours though. I'll keep that in mind. I want new bars anyway after riding Brent's R for a little bit. I don't like the bend on mine anymore.

cr480r
06-17-2007, 09:26 PM
the grip-it glue melts into the grip... its alot better than the others... not all glues are equal... I am hard on grips... I only get 4-5 rides before the grips wear completely through...

AZ250R
06-18-2007, 06:31 PM
I know exactly what you mean about the grips in the dunes. I like the soft compound grips, currently have "progrip", and they quickly become groved and twist on the bars. I have them safty wired on and that still won't completely work. I was thinking of try'n the golf grip tape method, anyone tried that? The locking ring ones could work but I'm not sold on them yet...

Dammit!
06-18-2007, 07:03 PM
I've been wondering about the grip tape method too...

Rm250RF900R
06-19-2007, 07:51 PM
I was just about ready to mention the grip tape. Never tried it myself, but it looks like it might just work.

Dammit!
06-19-2007, 08:04 PM
What is the method supposed to be exactly? Apply the tape, then glue the grips to the tape?

SpeedBump
06-19-2007, 08:11 PM
The last set of GRIPS I put on my golf clubs was about 5 years ago. If I remember correctly, the tape is just that...special 2 sided tape. Put it on in one strip, starting from the inner side of the bar out to the end...around the end and back towards the inside. There is a solution that came with the tape kit...squirt some into the grip...making sure it gets the entire inner surface covered, then slide the gip over the tape. In a few minutes it will tack up and then set up permanantly. Make sure you get the grip where ya want it before it sets. Try it...let us know how it goes!

This is a company I have used back when I did that sort of thing.

http://www.golfsmith.com/products/RGKP#