PDA

View Full Version : Setting adjustable timing on a 2 stroke

erectordale
06-12-2007, 09:52 PM
I'm trying too get the Timing set on my 500 this has a adjustable timing plate with no manual too tell you where too set it. the spec sheet I have say's too set it at 5,000 rpm (20 +- 1degree) or at 7,000 13 degrees this thing runs great but will not kick start unless warm. you can pull start it no problem but really really cold blooded if you give it a very small shot of starting fluid it will sometimes kickstart I know this is not good on the engine and would like too get it set right

InPiEcEs
06-12-2007, 11:14 PM
If it has has a 20 degree mark on the flywheel somewhere where you can see to line it up on the mark, it wont be too bad.
You can use a powered timing light (hooked to a battery), and a test tach.
Hook the inductive lead to your plug wire, and run it up to 5 grand.
Then you adjust till the marks line up.
If you have only zero, or TDC, then you need an adjustable timing light, set at 20 degrees. Again, the marks should line up at 5 grand.
If you have access to a good Fluke meter, I've seen some with a tach feature on them, as well for figuring RPM.

Somekindofjerk
06-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Get a video put up when you get that tiger running how you want it to, i havnt seen that thing since tf

Billy Golightly
06-12-2007, 11:38 PM
Rotate the stator plate 1/8th inch in the opposite direction the engine rotates and try it.

erectordale
06-12-2007, 11:44 PM
ok if you say too rotate it opposite of the flywheel rotation. right now it back fires when it does fire then a few kicks later it will start

Jason Hall
06-13-2007, 07:34 AM
The back firing sounds like a typical 500. When I start mine, the back fire tells me I just got gas Into the cylinder then when you kick like hell It starts the next kick. You can look where the bolts clamp the adjustable plate. You can sometimes tell where the bolts where at origionally.