PDA

View Full Version : 200X swingarm pivot bolt

yernkie
06-11-2007, 05:10 PM
ANy tips on removing one? Mine is stuck!

deathman53
06-11-2007, 07:11 PM
this has worked on 250r's for me, use a compressor and a ball joint removing tool, but don't screw on the fork. Put that inside of the swingarm bolt and go away at it. If it doesn't move it, put the bike on the side and start spray/pour oil down the bolt, a few hours later re-apply. Then repeat the process. If it still doesn't move, use the ball joint remoivng tool and jam it between the frame and swingarm. Open up a small gap and use a hack saw or VERY CAREFULLY a sawzall, then repeat on the other side. The swingarm will come off. This procedure requires you to have another swingarm bolt and maybe another swingarm if you can't get the bolt out of the swingarm. Before you go and get another swingarm, take the swingarm with the bolt jammed to a machine shop and have it pressed out, while its there, have him press out the bearings and collars(they can be a real bear to get out), if you have the bearings/collars/seals, have him press them in also. Save yourself some headaches. I have done 3 atc250r's with stock bolts, none of them were fun and one required the swingarm to be torched off(later found that the swingarm was cracked).

To those who have swingarm bolts that move, every few months, take it out, clean it off, apply anti-seize on the bolt, put some inside of the collars too. After a nastly mud/water ride, always remove the bolt and regrease/clean it. It will save a headache later on.

Dirtcrasher
06-11-2007, 07:16 PM
Every one is different... Just yesterday I rebulit an 85 200X swinger for my bud. I had first bought a good used bolt ahead of time. I was 100% convinced that I would never get this bolt out as it was squeaking and sticking through the suspension movement. We whacked it back and forth, got it to move 1/4 inch and sprayed the heck out of it with WD. 30 minutes later we got it out. I never thought it would come out....

We used a brass punch and 3lb hammer, if you do smash and mushroom the threads make sure you file or grind them down before you hit it through the swinger.

Heat, presses and puleers all help like D-man suggested. GLUCK....

deathman53
06-11-2007, 07:34 PM
if you mess up the threads on the bolt, its a 14mm 1.5 pitch, you can get the die at most auto parts stores for ~$10, or snap-on and sears sells the thread file for ~$8