PDA

View Full Version : Wanna quiet down my 86 250R some....

brddog7683
06-08-2007, 10:48 PM
I bought an 86 250R with a FMF pipe and standard FMF Silencer on it. The bike is an absolute beast but I'm willing to trade some of that power to quiet down the bike some for trail riding. Without going back to the stock pipe which I really dont want to do, I've looked into keeping my FMF pipe but replacing the silencer with a Fat Boy 2 quiet silencer. Says Noise level is lowered an average 2-4 dbs. Can anyone comment on this silencer or do you have any other suggestions for a combo I might look into?

Thanks Guys!!:p

KASEY
06-08-2007, 11:10 PM
i have a stock silencer on a fmf pipe on my daughters 86,, its real quiet and i don't believe it has lost any power,,, its very nice to follow , you don't need earplugs,,,

Beardoh
06-09-2007, 12:51 AM
I bought an 86 250R with a FMF pipe and standard FMF Silencer on it. The bike is an absolute beast but I'm willing to trade some of that power to quiet down the bike some for trail riding. Without going back to the stock pipe which I really dont want to do, I've looked into keeping my FMF pipe but replacing the silencer with a Fat Boy 2 quiet silencer. Says Noise level is lowered an average 2-4 dbs. Can anyone comment on this silencer or do you have any other suggestions for a combo I might look into?

Thanks Guys!!:p

I havent seen one in use but it looks like an interesting product. Worth a look at maybe http://www.gnarlyparts.ca/product_info.php?cPath=49_1509&products_id=9818

deathman53
06-09-2007, 12:50 PM
On my quad I have a lrd slilencer w/turn down tip. It really quiet, my friends fmf silencer is louder. Dumb question, did you repack the silencer?? When you repack them, they get far quieter.

3Wheelers4Life
06-09-2007, 01:01 PM
if you want a cheap fix, i heard you can jam steel wool into the muffler, and that will quiet it down some.

RedRider_AK
06-09-2007, 05:09 PM
if you want a cheap fix, i heard you can jam steel wool into the muffler, and that will quiet it down some.

Better hope you don't ride too hard, it'll blow out in 2 seconds, unless you have some sort of screen keeping it in.

brddog7683
06-09-2007, 10:37 PM
Thanks for all the input, appreciated. I actually did not open up the silencer to see how much packing was inside it, I'll have to do that, but i think I just might try out that turn down silencer (FatBoy 2) I was thinking about.
Beardoh..that is a very interesting product! I just wish someone here tested it out to see how it affects performance. I bet that would make my 250R sound just like my brothers ATC 200X.:D
One question....if i did use my FMF pipe along with the stock silencer...what type of band clamp would I use? A stock one maybe?

Thanks again guys!