PDA

View Full Version : Gears slip while deaccellerating?

super90
06-07-2007, 11:39 PM
Whenever im going down a hill I usually downshift a couple gears to slow it down some. Instead of just bombing the clutch I ease it out usually to gradually slow down. But whenever I do this once and a while I can hear the gears slapping around trying to engage or something of that nature. Its not the clutch, its in the left side of the engine? I really only started noticing this a few weeks ago. Also would a loose chain have anything to do with this problem?

erectordale
06-07-2007, 11:43 PM
you may have a tranny bearing going out I had a 86 200x that done the same thing and was a bad tranny bearing

super90
06-08-2007, 12:38 AM
Where is this bearing exactly located? And what would the effects be if left unattended?

TrikeKid
06-08-2007, 12:54 AM
Sounds like the chain slapping around just before the wheels lock up to me.

super90
06-08-2007, 01:44 AM
trikekid, you may be right. I looked at my chain slider and can see alot of wearing horizontal to the normal chain wear. I did notice the chain moving around alot also. But I thought i have been hearing it in the engine, but ill listen more closely tomorrow.

RedRider_AK
06-09-2007, 05:16 PM
I had a go-kart with a really loose chain, and any time you would coast it or slow down, it would make a really loud slapping sound. Just giving ideas.