PDA

View Full Version : 86 200x restoration

rassagmc
06-07-2007, 09:30 PM
well, it's not a complete restoration, but want to make it look and run alot better. If anyone has any tips for me while I'm working on it, let me know. I'll probably have plenty of questions too. right now I am waiting to sell my car to get some money to finish it. so far, I plan to get: .50 OS 10.25:1 piston, dg RCM exhaust, valve job, maybe some porting, handlebars, stainless nuts and bolts, new drive chain, plastics, decals, and some other OEM parts. I'd like to thank Rich(ditchmud) for the tripples!!:beer I'll keep you posted on my project, and if anyone else has any ideas for some other mods, I'm open to suggestions.

here's some pics of the progress so far, and the last one is what it looked like before(the picture makes it look better than it really was) sorry for picture quality.

Vealmonkey
06-07-2007, 11:35 PM
Looking good so far, keep up the good work.

84honda200s
06-07-2007, 11:44 PM
very nice x man. i hope mine turns out good lol.

super90
06-08-2007, 02:30 AM
Looks tons better than mine! Im not planning on restoring mine, just getting all the important things fixed and getting it to run the best it possibly can. Very nice X though.

rassagmc
06-08-2007, 03:03 PM
Does any one who has this bike have the dg RCM exhaust. if so, is it decent? how's the sound? and would you recommend anything else. I think the only other choice is cobra, but I would rather not go that way.

super90
06-08-2007, 03:21 PM
My friend has a 1983 with a DG exhaust. The core is much bigger than the cobras and his looks to be built more solid. It also has a deeper tone than the cobra.

3Wheelers4Life
06-08-2007, 03:51 PM
looks good so far, keep on going.

200x350xtriz250
06-08-2007, 08:18 PM
I have a rcm on my 86...works great...sound LOUD! if you ride anywhere with noise restrictions you may want to look elsewhere. mine came with a suppertrapp muffler w/ 4" discs, but it didn't seem to fit perfect...I'll have to dig it out and see how it'll fit.

chris200x
06-08-2007, 08:42 PM
If available why not look into getting the DG Krome. :naughty: I bit more pricier but looks way better than the RCM. Everything looks good so far... but why did you wait till the beginning of summer to tear everything down.? :confused: Tis riding season! :w00t:

rassagmc
06-08-2007, 09:05 PM
but why did you wait till the beginning of summer to tear everything down.? Tis riding season!

I know, it's killing me!! I wouldn't have done it but ran into some problems that required removing the engine. so while it was out, I figured I'd fix it up a bit. although I was counting on my Big Red to be running by now, but that hasn't yet either! I guess I'll just wait till gazoo gets his 350x back together:naughty: cause I have a feeling my 200x will be a slow project. I haven't seen the Krome one yet, didn't know they made it for the 86/87.:wondering

rassagmc
06-09-2007, 08:57 PM
thanks for all the comments. threw on the axle, rear brakes, and footpegs today, not much else to do. quick question, what kind of tire and what size would you recommend for this bike. I ride mostly tight trails and occasionally on pavement, so something that will hook up nice but still have a smooth ride. thanks!!
I'll post some pics tomorrow.

the great gazoo
06-10-2007, 04:07 PM
Looking good, Chris- I always hated the way the honda logo was chipped on the bottom triple, and guess what? it's the same freakin' way on my 350X!
I just got back from Brapp's, i brought my motor up there for him to do for me & 250SXwheeliepop was there, so we went for a good Ptucky ride & Brapp also "floated" his Foreman(Look for pics in quad central)- Had a good time. He might have the gasket(s) you need-lemme know what else Bsides the cyl base(?).

RedRider_AK
06-10-2007, 04:38 PM
Yeah you should definetely go DG. You've probably heard everyone on here bashing Cobra for their crap.

The RCM is going to be kinda loud, I suggest you invest in a quiet core insert (if they make it for the RCM) or maybe try to find an old White Bros. E-Series universal muffler.

rassagmc
06-11-2007, 06:49 PM
a few pics. I have these tires and a pair of bald spider tracs. The one on there now only 18" and I think I want a little more clearance for the trails, so I will probably sell them and find a better tire.any suggestions?

god dammit!, all of my pics are too big for this site. is there a way to downsize?how? don't get too technical, I don't know *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* about this stuff.

Dirtcrasher
06-11-2007, 07:12 PM
a few pics. I have these tires and a pair of bald spider tracs. The one on there now only 18" and I think I want a little more clearance for the trails, so I will probably sell them and find a better tire.any suggestions?

god dammit!, all of my pics are too big for this site. is there a way to downsize?how? don't get too technical, I don't know *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited* about this stuff.

Just download a program at DOWNLOADS.com for photo editing...

This exhaust stuff STINKS!! There simply isn't an exhaust out there that offers performance without a huge sound increase. It's too bad the Supertraps aren't around, at least they could be adjusted.

The Cobra offers great topend gains with jetting but is just way too loud...

rassagmc
06-13-2007, 09:39 PM
here are some pics. took them just now, hope they look alright.