PDA

View Full Version : Dirtwheels mentions the 1987 250R for sale??????

3Wheelers4Life
06-07-2007, 05:08 PM
i was browsing 3wheeler.org and found these articles. this Dirtwheels article of November 1987 says that the 1987 ATC 250R is for sale in Canada, but not in the U.S. i also found that in the January 1988 article it says that some 1987 ATC 250R's were sold in Canada and Europe. whats up with this? anyone ever seen these article? is it true? just thought i would post this.

see the attached pictures.

heres the links: http://www.3wheeler.org/dirtwheels/11-87~trikeindex.html
http://www.3wheeler.org/3&4wheelaction/1-88~250rComparo.html

Orangecnty250r
06-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Hmmmmm...those were the rumors for a very long time...never saw that article...thanks ...the folk-lore continues

InPiEcEs
06-07-2007, 05:41 PM
I do recall that deal in DW....................
Whether or not they sold 87's out of the U.S., like Canada, is uncertain.
Well at least for the R's and the350X's.

Yamada
06-07-2007, 09:34 PM
I live in the province of Québec, and I can tell you that the atc250r are not very common. In fact, i saw one in all my life. May be they were sold in Canada, but i am sure that the sales volume is far less than in the US. So they most be very rare.

oldsking86
06-07-2007, 09:57 PM
I've heard that before also, them being sold in Canada. At least the article gives some reference to them.

tecat-z
06-07-2007, 11:33 PM
Well, i guess there's still reason to believe. Does anyone live near a Canadian honda dealer that was in business at that time? I would imagine a large city or town where there was a little more sales volume would be the best chance of verifying this. Even check for parts availiable for the 87 R at the dealer.

3Wheelers4Life
06-08-2007, 03:36 PM
Well, i guess there's still reason to believe. Does anyone live near a Canadian honda dealer that was in business at that time? I would imagine a large city or town where there was a little more sales volume would be the best chance of verifying this. Even check for parts availiable for the 87 R at the dealer.

yes, good idea if anyone is in Canada or Europe and is near a Honda dealer that was around in the 1980's, ask the dealer if they know anything about the 1987 ATC 250R or the 1987 ATC 350X, parts, units, manuals, brochures, pictures, info, if they existed, what happened to them, if they ever heard of them, how rare they are, etc. anything you can find out.

Orangecnty250r
06-08-2007, 04:08 PM
yes, good idea if anyone is in Canada or Europe and is near a Honda dealer that was around in the 1980's, ask the dealer if they know anything about the 1987 ATC 250R or the 1987 ATC 350X, parts, units, manuals, brochures, pictures, info, if they existed, what happened to them, if they ever heard of them, how rare they are, etc. anything you can find out.

2 winters ago I faxed and called EVERY single dealer in canada over the course of the whole winter.....thats where I found those boxes full of hondaline goodies ....tachos, ATC covers, etc, etc and some good NOS parts. Most dont give a hoot, many are new but I did find a few old school dealers with some good stuff....heck I even tracked down the one privateer who did all the buyouts of old honda stuff (my secret source ;) ) I am still skeptical as we have had many canadian members here who have seen or heard nothing of the 87 250r or 350x atcs...but the reference does give some hope. One good lead that I may pull out my old canada book and give them a call again was one parts manager said the owner had two full tractor trailers full of new old stuff from the 70s and 80s but was wealthy and had no interest in selling....Hmmmmmm

Tecate250
06-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I live in nova scotia and have seen dozens of 250rs. If you don't look you wont find them. I was told I would never own or find a tecate. And now I have owned 4 of them. Keep up the hunt, I have my own leads too lol.

RoscoW
06-08-2007, 04:34 PM
My brother and I were into trikes at that time and I remember the dealers were having a tuff time selling any trikes without bringing in anything new. We bought 83 200X's new in 85 and they were sitting on crates of brand new 2 yr old machines they couldn't unload. No store manager is going to order up a few 87's when the market is in the toilet and he can't even get his money out of a 2 yr old trike, 4 wheelers were the future.
I'm sure a few were sold, but I'm also sure that they would have only been ordered to the dealer if he was positive he could sell it. I never saw one that I remember.
I think my brother got his 84 R new in 87 from a dealer in Guelph for around 1800 and I know it wasn't the only one there.
I'll try and get into the local dealer, the manager used to race a Tri-Z (his dad owns the dealership) and money was no object (cash still couldn't make up for ability), He may be able to shed some light on the subject .

Ross..

3Wheelers4Life
06-08-2007, 04:45 PM
ask the dealers if they had a chance to order 1987 ATC 250R's or 1987 ATC 350X's, if they know what happened to them, if they existed, or if they know any information about the 1987 R and X.