PDA

View Full Version : First 350x - Maybe problem (Pics Added)

pipeliner3481
06-07-2007, 08:18 AM
Just bought my first 350x, can't wait to clean it up and get it looking and running smooth. It starts up and runs but has a bad tick in the top end, pulled the motor already and I have a manual coming from Hem Inc. so I can set all the valves right. It also had a hole the size of a pencil eraser in the header pipe so that might of made the tick sound worse than what is was. Now to the problem, it might not be a problem cause I never had a 350x before. When it is at idle and you turn the lights on and off it made quite a bit of difference in the rpm's - higher with the lights off and lower when the lights were on. Just wondering if it was normal or not. Also need to get the back shock rebuilt and was wondering were I could take it or send it to to have it done. I live in Fort Wayne, IN but travel to OH and MI alot. Also anybody ever have a seat redone, as I need to get the foam redone on this one a recovered. Thanks Joel

pipeliner3481
06-07-2007, 08:42 AM
Here are some Pics

1upfront
06-07-2007, 08:58 AM
Contact Moshman355 here on the boards his wife Mrs. Moshman does EXCELLENT seat work, and if you want a custom cover turn nowhere else !

team-red-rider
06-07-2007, 10:06 AM
for shocks call " Works Proformance"

Tri-Z 250
06-07-2007, 11:09 AM
Any local shock guy can rework the shock...$400 if every part is wasted plus fluid is about the going rate. Contact local dealers or the web for area reps for Race Tech, Pro Action, FCR, PEP, ect. Bang for buck go with the Mosh's, great people to deal with...and outstanding work! To have a race shock built your looking to spend $800. Your forks should be serviced at the same time....I know $$$$! If the legs are in good shape they could be as cheap as $65 a leg...springs are $100 per pair. Looks like a great 350X for a restro project. Keep a good log of pics and be sure to tell us your story.

pipeliner3481
06-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the help, I e-mailed Mrs.Moshman, see if she can help the seat, called local shop, told me to bring in the shock, going to be looking in the motor this weekend to see if anything is funny or not, recieved my manual from Helm Inc. already, awsome book, still don't know about the lights and rpm's

Gunnar
06-08-2007, 12:51 PM
I had an annoying tick in the my motor also. My noise was caused by a junk cam. As long as you have the motor out, pull the rocker covor off and inspect the cam. Make sure there is no crackes/broken dogears on it. Check journals and rocker arms. and make sure bolts are tightenes to spec. DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. This could save you headaches later on down the road

Sargon2112
06-10-2007, 12:47 PM
On the lights and RPM's thing... my 350X did that when I first got it. Also, when I would rev it, the lights would get extremly bright for just an instant then dim back to normal. It soon got worse and started popping bulbs. I found that it was due to the wires being frayed right where they go into the voltage regulator. There was not enough wire left sticking out of the regulator for a repair so I just ordered a universal 12v regulator from Dennis Kirk (somewhere around 15 bucks I recall). I've had no more problems and it's been well over a year now...

Not sure f that's your probelm, but it's definitely a good place to start.

Hope this helps... good luck!

David

pipeliner3481
06-10-2007, 04:44 PM
Hey thanks David, That is what I was looking for, a place to start, I'll keep posting what I find as I go

pipeliner3481
06-13-2007, 08:15 AM
Will I think I found the source of the ticking in the top end, looks like the rocker arm pads are shot, and the cam is wore out of spec. Couple of questions, can Web Cam Inc. fix both the cam and the rocker arms, how wore can the head be where the cam sits into it, and when I tore it down it looks like there was some heat one time on the bottom of the rod and the crank just wondering if anyone else has seen this and if it was ok, everything spins and feels fine. Also my black plastic for all around has came in, and I am going to be sending my seat into Cosmic Quads at the end of June to have them redo the whole seat. Thanks Joel

Dirtcrasher
06-13-2007, 06:41 PM
That heat is normal and stock. The head is the weak point on the 350X. A good used head and rocker runs 250$ easy. A guy on EBAY has the heads NOS for 400$. I'd look for some good used rockers but a good head is tough to find. I believe there is a needle bearing and machine work upgrade that can be done. Any way you slice it, it's a 500$ job. Sometimes it's cheaper to grab another whole motor for the same cost, if it's good.....

i58829
06-13-2007, 06:54 PM
I think thats good advice, i picked up a basket case and was going to redo the motor but after a little research i came up with about 600 to get it how i want. And it already has a nearly new wiseco piston, and a nearly new rocker...

Erics350x
06-13-2007, 08:59 PM
it looks like it wasnt getting oil up there.

pipeliner3481
06-13-2007, 09:20 PM
There was oil up there when I took it apart but I cleaned it up for the pics, I have a motor coming that I can hopefully rob some parts off of, also got a wiseco std bore piston coming with the higher comp. I already have more put into this trike than what I bought it for, but hopefully it pays off in the end