PDA

View Full Version : coolant question

pickleweasel_00
06-05-2007, 02:23 PM
Anybody ever try the Engine Ice coolant:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=&store=Main&catId=120&productId=p303686&leafCatId=12003&mmyId=

Or something similar? No cooling problem, but thought I'd try and get some feedback. Looks like something worth looking into :wondering

ccdhowell
06-05-2007, 10:23 PM
I use it and it works fine. Don't really know if it helps, I don't have a temp gauge, but it's supposed to help so I feel better.

pickleweasel_00
06-05-2007, 10:53 PM
yeah, i don't think i'd see a 50 degree drop that it claims is possible (that might be too cool), but it might hold up better than regular coolant and perform more efficiently. But it's always good to have the added assurance there if I need it. After all, nothing more important than preventative maintenance, right? It's at least cheaper than new parts ;)

pickleweasel_00
06-05-2007, 10:55 PM
oh yeah, what about the water wetter stuff? any better or comparable to this this stuff?

dovesprings250R
06-06-2007, 07:40 PM
I use engine ice. Been in 124 degee heat middle of July at Dumont dunes and no overheating. I think it does work but I have no thermostat.

pickleweasel_00
06-06-2007, 10:05 PM
think i'm gonna order some, can only be as good or better than regular coolant:)

ATC-Eric
06-06-2007, 10:57 PM
Ive done some talking about the Ice. I was TOLD (this is no actual experience) that there will not be that signifigant of a difference then some 50/50.

One good point the guy had, was that you cant mix it with regular coolent. If you get caught in a pinch, it dosent mix well with your run of the mill coolent.

dovesprings250R
06-07-2007, 01:39 PM
I run engine ice staight up out of the bottle as they recommend. They claim a 25-50 degree cooler temp at the head.

RedRider_AK
06-07-2007, 03:32 PM
Water Wetter is non-slippery stuff you use when you race Supermoto or something like that on your quad/trike. Don't know for sure if it's supposed to be higher-performance.

nd4speed
06-07-2007, 03:57 PM
I remember getting into this discussion and tried to relay some simple physics 101 about specific heat and the transfer of the heat in and out. No one cared to discuss proven scientific facts.

The specific heat capacity of water is 1.00 on the CGS scale.

I don't believe there is any other liquid out there that can out perform deionized water. But, of course, you will want to add an eco-frindly corrosion inhibitor like they do in NASCAR motors. I believe the corrosion additive can be bought at most auto stores.

Anytime you add something to water (like antifreeze) it will lower its specific heat capacity which is a negative.

Check out Engine Ice's specific heat in CGS on the attached pic from their own website. It is less than 1.00

My conclusion is Engine Ice is deionized water with a corrosion inhibtor. It may be cheaper to mix this up yourself if you can get the additive at a local auto store. I saw a commercial for some stuff like that the other day on SPEED or VS channel. I plan to look at Autozone and I may even go today.

How much does Engine Ice cost and how much do you get?

Rustytinhorn
06-07-2007, 05:09 PM
I read up on this the other day where it told the pros and cons of using regular mix, wet water, and the ice stuff, but I can't remember where for the life of me.
The water is what actually cools your engine, moreso than the antifreeze. The antifreeze allows the water to withstand more extreme temperature ranges AND it also lubricates your cooling system. It was not recommended to run wet water ( maybe it was the other product I cant remember name of) for more than a race around the track. This was due to the fact that despite the increase in lower temperature, wet water does not lubricate your system because of its non-sticky factor.
If I can find this article again I will read up on it and post it for you guys.

Disclaimer-Who's to say that I don't know that you didn't interprit the above text incorrectly??

pickleweasel_00
06-07-2007, 10:45 PM
yeah, i've always heard that it is the water that does the cooling. The antifreeze lubricates and of course keeps it from freezing. Maybe I should leave well enough alone and just run 50/50 :wondering On the other hand, is engine ice a magic coolant? Beacause the cooling is limited to the ammount of heat that the radiator(s) can dissipate, right? And the ammount of heat that can be transfered to the radiators, so I guess it comes down to what transfers the heat the best? Straight water? But that leaves no lubrication/corrosion inhibitors. Maybe I'm thinking too hard...

nd4speed
06-08-2007, 01:06 PM
I picked up Water Wetter for like $7 at Autozone and it makes 12 quarts, prevents rust, and lubricates. I read what is important to stop is the water shifting to steam steam and creating hot spots on the cylinder head.