PDA

View Full Version : 85 Tecate???

cheaptecate
06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
Hi guys
First off let me tell you this sight rocks!! I've lost a lot of sleep and pissed the wife off ever since I found it. I am addicted.
I picked up a Tecate at a swap-meet and was told it was an 84. It didn't run and the guy only wanted $300 for it. $200 later it was mine:naughty:
When i got home I found this sight and started resherching T3s. It looks like 84s had a drum brake on front. This one has a disk so I thought it was an 85. After more looking, I see that the disk should be on the left. This one is on the right. There is no calaper, master cylinder, lever or anything else, just the disk. The ID tag on the stearing neck is gone so I can't tell by that. I'll try to load some pictures. Let me know what you think.

The motor needs a complete rebuild, Piston, rings, con rod, bearings, the works but not a bore. It also has the stock tires and rims and not a scratch onthe plastic but the rears are replacements. I think I got a great deal.
Thanks for your time

cheaptecate
06-05-2007, 11:10 AM
can anyone tell me how to load pics
Thanks

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2007, 11:23 AM
Click "Go Advanced" and then manage attachments to load pics. If they are too big open the pic in Microsoft Paint and then go to Image then "stretch/skew" in the tool bar. Type in two smaller values of the same size and then once you press enter or OK the pic will be half the size it was. judge yourself how large you need them, usually 50/50 will be fine.

As for the T3 your forks or hub might be on backwards. I may have a master cylinder and lever here I can sell you when I get my new one.

James

cheaptecate
06-05-2007, 08:29 PM
lets see if this works

scooterroo
06-05-2007, 08:44 PM
well first off the fork tubes are on the wrong sides, swap them around. the brake should be on the left side while sitting on the bike. also the caliper should be behind the fork tube. its an 85 ok, it has 4 x 156 rear hubs. maier low profile fenders. get r fixxed up, you wont be sorry. check for spark on it, common problem easily fixxed by a new ricky stator compnent. :beer toast on becoming a fellow team greener!!!

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2007, 08:47 PM
Your forks are on backwards. Take the forks out of the tripples with the wheel still attached and turn the whole assembly around then stick it back in the tripples. That make sense?

Thats a nice flattrack mod though, funny but true.

scooterroo
06-05-2007, 08:54 PM
looks to be an extended axle? or are they wheel spacers? thats one wide rear end on that bike. sweet!!!!!!

cheaptecate
06-05-2007, 10:17 PM
that makes a lot of sence about the forks being switched around. I'll have to fix that because I want a front brake.
The forks and shock are very springey. Maybe they need oil or maybe they are shot. I have the engine torn apart. I'm trying to do it myself to save money. The wife has me on a tight budget. When I split the crank the bearing fell apart. The rollers where worn flat on two sides. She was a bomb wating to explode. The flywheel has no magnets. the last owner must have taken this machine apart to see what was wrong, then put it together to sell it.

cheaptecate
06-05-2007, 10:18 PM
the rear axle is stock with huge spacers

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2007, 10:49 PM
EZ fit Durablue 2.5 spacers from the looks of things. The forks are easy and cheap to rebuild and if your shock isn't repairable then find a used shock from a 300EX Honda and put it on.

Rickey Stator has flywheels.

scooterroo
06-06-2007, 04:44 PM
forks, lol, im in the same boat but going to be redoing them here shortly. new seals and some progressive springs. 300ex shock is nice on there, bolts up easily, just drill out the mount hole on the pivot. or you could go with a raptor rear shock also, with a couple mods. or if you want to go with a stocker, i hear sprock racing redoes them. you bu one for 150, they send you a good shock, you send them the bad one, they refund you 50 bucks or something like that.
i know about wifes and budgets, feel your pain.