PDA

View Full Version : Fork Tube Circlip Removal

ProCarbine2k1
06-05-2007, 12:31 AM
Started the rebuild on my forks on my 86 200x. I was wondering if there is any special trick or tool you guys have for removing the circlips under the dustcaps.
BTW, I have about 30 pics I need to upload showing my progress. I started a restore on the 200x I bought a few weeks back and havent really shared with anyone, but I plan on starting a rebuild thread.
So far Ive freshened up the motor, am halfway through the carb rebuild, new tires, clutch and brake perches, new clutch (havent installed), new exhaust (havent installed), and new tires front and back. Im trying to have it ready for trikefest, but I will not rush this one on time - Ill just get it done when I get it done (hopefully soon). I really want to have it in Indiana in a few weeks, but I may end up thumbing a ride and stealing a trike on the way :lol: :lol: .

ATC-Eric
06-05-2007, 12:39 AM
Without the special wrench to remove the clip, you'll just have to work with what you've got.

Last time I did a set I used a sharp pocker in one end of the clip, you pry it up a little bit till its out of its groove, and put a narrow flat head screw driver under the end thats lifted up. Then your just a gentle pry away from having it off!

Good luck.

ProCarbine2k1
06-05-2007, 09:59 AM
What kind of tool would work? I have a c-clip/circlip remover, but I dont think its near heavy duty enough. I think the ends would break off the end of it if I tried, but if I go to a bigger clip remover I dont think it will fit down far enough into the tube. Thanks for the help!!!

ATC-Eric
06-05-2007, 10:17 AM
Those c-clip removers can be pretty strong. I have a set, but they only fit halfway down there. I only get to use them when Im putting the clips back in, and they dont break.

If you have a really good pair of needle noise plyers that will fit, or you need to just find something around the shop that will fit in the little hole, and is strong enough to move the clip around in there.

Put the fork in a bench vice, then use one hand to pull one end of the circlip out of its groove (with the pointy thing you found), then with your other hand put something under the end you just pryed.

Its a big pain when you dont have the proper tools, thats where patience come in handy.

Eric

BigRedRunner
06-06-2007, 06:37 PM
Get the right tool designed for clips. I tried working mine out with what I had because I too impatient to buy the right tool. Needless to say, I had to buy new clips along with the rest of my fork rebuild parts.

edog
06-06-2007, 07:46 PM
Small needle nose pliers.