PDA

View Full Version : The start of a "Extreme" 86 Tecate Project

250rmanfmf
06-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Hey,

So I have started a 1986 Tecate Project and I am looking for ideas or suggestions that you guys may have. About 4 years ago I did a 85 250r Project and learned a lot from the project " the do's and Dont's" So I posted some pics of the 250r project below to show what the tecate project will be like.

So far my ideas are this, first I will be putting a kx500 engine in it. I was woundering if there was a website or info on the modifications that need to be done to the frame to do this. The engine will be ported and Polished with Modified reeds and 1 HUGE Carb.

Second I will be making a custom front end. the plan is to custom fit a pair of kx250 front shocks (98-04 year shocks) to the tecate to improve suspension up front. It will still have a front fender, I just need the pair of forks to see how much custom work needs to be done. Also will be mounting a better rear shock off a quad. Dont know which one yet, any suggestions???

color schemes I am not sure, I know Green and Polished aluminum is for sures but looking for one more color. Any Suggestions.

Third the swingarm will be 6 inch over stock or possibly 8-10 inches, havent decided yet.

I should be starting this month but hopefully the trike is done before Christmas or by next summer.

Any Ideas, Questions, suggestions just chim in.

Thanks
Tyler

200x Basket
06-04-2007, 09:32 PM
i would use a new KX250 engine instead of the kx500. I would convert the rear over to a 400ex or later quad with the swing arm conversion. the frame would be white and the aluminum brushed.

i have built one 86 tecate and the aftermarket for them sucks. you just have to be creative and modify other parts to fit. I do have an aftermarket tecate axle that may be for sale soon. I have promised it to another guy but he hasnt showed me the $$$$ :)

team-red-rider
06-04-2007, 09:51 PM
i LOVE!!! that R !!!! id say green and blue on teh kawi

Black86tri-z
06-05-2007, 12:23 AM
about the kx 500 swap ask bgm he is like the tecate god!!!!!

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2007, 10:57 AM
Far from it come on, I just know the basics.

As for colour scheme, how about strip the frame to bare metal and clear it along with all the stuff like levers/pegs/ carrier/hubs and polish all the aluminum then beadblast the motor to bare metal for an industrial look with all green plastics.

3leggeddog
06-05-2007, 11:03 AM
those plastics look familar!

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/z400052.jpg
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/3leggeddog/z400055.jpg

BigGreenMachine
06-05-2007, 12:04 PM
As far as the KX swap goes you need to cut a notch in the crossmember above the motor for the sparkplug and cap to clear. Front and top motor mounts need to be fabbed and the bottom ones should work fine. The rear suspension should bolt back up and the chain line up. The airbox may need to be removed to fit the motor. If the airbox fits you may be able to use the Tecate carb boot on the KX 500 motor to line up the carb with the airbox. The boot fits, unsure of the airbox fitment as the motor is larger then the KXT motor so the airbox might not have room.

Yamada
06-05-2007, 12:38 PM
I like the yellow R. Sick......

oldsking86
06-05-2007, 01:42 PM
My .02, +6 swinger will be more fun to ride!
Color combo; green, black, and polished aluminum
Powerplant; whatever has the best aftermarket and power, so the kx500 sounds good to me haha

3Wheelers4Life
06-05-2007, 03:29 PM
i like the R. for the color scheme i would say 1st choice green and blue 2nd choice green and black. keep us posted.

cr480r
06-05-2007, 06:40 PM
My favorite colors to compliment kawi green are white and blue...

250rmanfmf
06-06-2007, 12:15 AM
3leggedog, did you get those from my off ebay or from Mike??? They do look familar:naughty: Sweet 250r by the way.

Thanks for the input guys this is great. I am leaning towards green, black, Polished al. or Green, Blue & Polished al. but I will have to do some more thinking.

Thanks for the info on the Kx500 engine swap, I am going to remove the airbox and run a open K & N filter.

also been told that I could fab a 400ex swingarm with rear end on it???? is that true? if so that would be awesome:cool:

Also hoping that I can get the Kx forks to work, I like the reverse fork style of the newer bikes

Tyler

BigGreenMachine
06-06-2007, 12:31 AM
Never heard the 400EX swingarm will fit before but feel free to do it first so we all can copy. LOL