PDA

View Full Version : Help please ! 250 sx swing arm removal.

T3 LOPES
05-31-2007, 06:40 PM
I am attempting to remove swingarm to replace pivot bearings and u-joint on shaft to be ready for the Haspin mud. I have factory Honda shop manual, and special lock nut tool. Right side lock not and bolt are out but can't slide it sideways enough to get left side out of frame! U-joint wont go sideways enough to allow this. Do i really have to remove axle and rear carrier first? Can i remove the front transition cover and pull the gears apart there? I am stumped. And Honda doesnt sell a u-joint. Are these readily availiable? Please share some info so i can have my mud buster ready for TF. Thanks for the input. T3 Lopes:beer

Dirtcrasher
05-31-2007, 07:34 PM
DONT TOUCH THAT COVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just gently pry back on the front driveshaft yoke, it's on spring forced splines. It will slide back and the swing comes off kinda crooked. OR, just remove the back axle, unbolt the diff and remove the driveshaft. Thats the best way to do it so you can inspect, grease and service everything....

GLUCK!!

T3 LOPES
05-31-2007, 08:02 PM
Thanks for the info Dirtcrasher. Whatever it takes I will get it done. Do you have any info about replacing the u joint? Thanks lopes

T3 LOPES
05-31-2007, 08:08 PM
Thanks John , let me know. Lopes

Dirtcrasher
05-31-2007, 08:33 PM
Thanks for the info Dirtcrasher. Whatever it takes I will get it done. Do you have any info about replacing the u joint? Thanks lopes

Hey bud, I have to believe that there is a manufacturer that can provide us with a u-joint by now... But, a good EBAY shaft is the way to go. Look for a clean ATC with a nice black diff and if the shaft journals are shiny - GRAB IT!! That joint doesn't wear much unless water gets in there, in which case you will see pitting, scoring and lots of surface rust.

I've since found the love of my life - not a woman of course... But a 350X and sadly the 250SX is just a bench now. I love it and it has it's place but I'm just not into the SX as much as I was years ago.

But... I know them inside and out so if you need any other help, ask away.

T3 LOPES
05-31-2007, 09:00 PM
Thanks alot John . I wiil let you know when I get it apart tomarrow. Lopes

Dirtcrasher
05-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Yep, thats not an SX driveshaft, BUT!! It's a good example of the quality your looking for - SHINY SHINY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

erectordale
05-31-2007, 10:26 PM
t3 I have a bunch of the sx and es drive shafts also if you need 1

T3 LOPES
05-31-2007, 10:43 PM
Thanks Dale I will let you no. Lopes

ATCnut
06-01-2007, 12:06 AM
I have a SX drive shaft setting on the bench in the gurage. I do not think the U-joint can be replaced easily. After the caps were pressed in at the factory, the peened the holes to hold them in. I think you are going to have to find a whole shaft assembly.

Dirtcrasher
06-01-2007, 06:46 PM
I have a SX drive shaft setting on the bench in the gurage. I do not think the U-joint can be replaced easily. After the caps were pressed in at the factory, the peened the holes to hold them in. I think you are going to have to find a whole shaft assembly.

I agree, they use some type of fixture and press that surrounds the outside are with a pressed in notched type hold. I wouldn't just peen over a new one.

BUT, My previous thought was to machine an inside groove just like a piston circlip in each bore to hold a replaced joint in place. A milling machine and boring head could make short work of that, setup would be a pain but it could be done.

T3 LOPES
06-01-2007, 10:24 PM
Thanks for all the Info guys. I am headed in the right direction. thanks again.

T3 LOPES
06-03-2007, 01:04 PM
Took it all apart last night and checked out the u joint, it is still in great shape . Bearings were screwed. Changed the bearings out and everything else so shes ready to go . Thanks for all your help guys. Lopes

ATCnut
06-03-2007, 05:41 PM
COOL!!!

Ride Red!