PDA

View Full Version : This is my find of the year almost new (RED) 84 Tecate

vintagemotorsports
05-30-2007, 10:51 PM
I just bought this tecate off the original owner , a now 75 year old man very nice guy . I spent about 2 hours detailing it today and man I got to tell you this bike shows very little use . I am a Honda man all the way but I have always liked this era tecate and a red one to boot . this will make a nice addition to the collection . there is not even a scratch on the engine cases , the plastic shines like day one . thought i would share this wilth all on the board thanks mike

blue27
05-30-2007, 10:55 PM
wow!!! that is nice. Proves they are still out there. You got to like the oddball ones like the red ist gen Tecate.

kilabeez0
05-30-2007, 11:33 PM
omg!! what do you use to detail something that nice? wax? polishes? i cant believe something that old can be in that good of condition.

tecate kid
05-30-2007, 11:53 PM
Damn, I though my red 84 was nice, thats freakin' awsome!!! Just gonna leave it alone and look at it? Or is gonna be ridden?
tecate kid

70ATC90
05-30-2007, 11:54 PM
Thats awsome, I think any hardcore honda guy would like that.

Jim mac
05-31-2007, 12:37 AM
gotta love finding survivors! Jim

ATC-Eric
05-31-2007, 12:46 AM
Wow, that thing is beautiful. Good find, and congrats on the addition! :beer

84honda200s
05-31-2007, 01:40 AM
that is one nice ride man. garage queen or you going to ride it ??

petesatc
05-31-2007, 03:54 AM
WOW nice score Mike that's the best one i have seen since 84!!!!!!

edog
05-31-2007, 06:06 AM
That has always been my favorite as well.:w00t:

Orangecnty250r
05-31-2007, 06:21 AM
That is without a doubt one of the best finds Ive seen all year and probably the nicest first year t3 I have ever seen....congrats

Bryan Raffa
05-31-2007, 06:23 AM
Thanks mike just what I needed to get my but in gear to go get the RED one from a member here..and start my own.. That NICE

vintagemotorsports
05-31-2007, 07:33 AM
Thanks guys,
I was pretty excited also when it came in , kind of bought it sight unseen so you never know how those deals go , you can tall alot by talking to the owner this one worked out . This is definitley not a rider , how can you stuff like this needs to be preserved for the next generation to see what we used play with . as far as the detailing I did this one real quick i need to do a few other things before i am totally happy I might replace the chain its got some rust on it and touch up a few nicks on the headlight gaurd other than that im leaving it alone . the plastic is soo nice there is no armorall or silicone on them in the pic thats there shine I polished them with a standard buffer with a black foam pad and a very small amount of 3m finnesse it polish same stuff we use on all our new paint work , the coolest thing is the tank it shows almost no discoloration witch is soo rare , this ones a keeper for sure they are still around keep your eyes open Mike

atctim
05-31-2007, 08:10 AM
Wow - nice Mike. Do you plan on coming to TF - to show some of your BEAUTIFUL collection?

BigGreenMachine
05-31-2007, 10:34 AM
Without a doubt the cleanest unrestored Tecate I have seen. Just amazing. Hope I'm not prying if I ask what you paid?

1DEADPRESIDENT
05-31-2007, 11:14 AM
I think I just shot my quad! :D

1upfront
05-31-2007, 01:05 PM
That thing is in amazing shape:drool: :drool: the original owner probly bought it not knowing what he was in for rode it once and crapped his britches and then put it away for 23 years.:D

Lomax
05-31-2007, 01:17 PM
I know that machine isnt going to be a rider but have youhad it running Or are you just going to clean out the tank (delete the smell of fuel) and rinse out the carb for display?
-Will

vintagemotorsports
05-31-2007, 01:21 PM
I fired it up when I got it here yesterday it sounds real nice and tight the guy had a full tank of gas in it , all is drained now and the carb is dry probably be the last time it will run as long as i own it anyways . I am going to spens another day just detailing the real nit picky stuff and thats it I already have it in my showroom area with the other bikes Mike

team-red-rider
05-31-2007, 01:56 PM
hey mike can u get some picks of the showroom? id love to see

3Wheelers4Life
05-31-2007, 03:19 PM
nice, did the owner say how many hours were on it? if you dont mind, how much did you pay?

Huffa
05-31-2007, 03:30 PM
A deal like tha can't get any sweeter, no matter how much you paid.

Just STUNNING too look at and thank God it fell in the right hands as that's just TOOOO nice to ride. I would be tempted for sure but even one little scratch would be depressing on that machine.

A few ?'s here.

Is a twist throttle stock on those ?

What size wheels are they on the back, 10"ers?

What's the sticker say on the swingarm?

I'd like to hear HOW you found it ?

Odd that the guy was in his 50's when he bought it new ?

Another member asked also, HOW MUCH and if you don't tell us can you at least tell us if the guy knew what a gem he had, as in the value of it I mean?

Let me take a guess, 2800 ? If it was mine, I would not let it go under 4000 for sure and that's low I think? I'll bet you "stoled" it, didn't you! :D

Where did it originally come from, what dealer, do you know?

vintagemotorsports
05-31-2007, 05:28 PM
He did not say how many hours were on it , not alot I can tell you that . I think what saved this bike is that he was an older gentlemen when it was new so you know it did not get beat on , yes the twist throttle is factory. the sticker on the back is the OHRV sticker from michigan thats where it came from. Everybody loves to hear what people pay for things lets just say i got a good deal . He was pleased to know it was going to a good home after taking such good care of it all these years . he said he bought a kawasaki 110 the same tim he bought this one but wants to hold on to it for his grandkids I bet that is nice too .

scooterroo
05-31-2007, 05:55 PM
i think i just shorted out my keyboard, lol. that thing is mint, great find. how much did you get it for?

RID3R
05-31-2007, 06:06 PM
There was a red 84 t3 I think on ebay, that was for sale by the original owner. Looked just like the one you got all original I believe, is that where you got it from?

sandpuppi101
05-31-2007, 10:11 PM
Very nice machine there Mike , Collections are based on that type of "quality machine" ,and too see a machine like that ,is just great..Restorations are one thing but orginals are another,I think I could have a 2 day conversation with you and have quite a few cocktails in between on Trikes ,No Problem...

_brad_
06-01-2007, 03:53 AM
I have a boner after seeing those pics.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

ceaserthethird
06-01-2007, 04:07 AM
Mike please give us a Ball Park $$$ Range so we may pound on our heads and say why can't we find deals like that !:eek:

Come On Buddy ;)

Orangecnty250r
06-01-2007, 07:27 AM
Who cares what he paid for it and it doesnt really matter. We should respect his decision not to share that. I think him sharing the pictures with us was a very nice thing to do and thats why I post my pictures when thing are done. We can look at this rare tecate and appreciate some of the original rare finds still out there. Believe me I have met my share of collectors in the past couple years and can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head who wouldnt even dream of posting there pictures here and I respect that but man let me tell you guys we have been missing out on seeing some killer stuff because of it. Thanks again Mike and dont let repeated price comments or questions discourage you from posting your next find.

gottahaveaUS90
06-01-2007, 07:58 AM
Fantastic find Mike - thanks for sharing - and would love to see your collection sometime!

:Bounce

Huffa
06-01-2007, 08:13 AM
Believe me I have met my share of collectors in the past couple years and can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head who wouldnt even dream of posting there pictures here and I respect that but man let me tell you guys we have been missing out on seeing some killer stuff because of it.

Because of what, asking what someone paid for something ?

I really don't see what the big deal is not revealing the price but do agree, that by all means he has every right not to.

Nothing wrong with a few of us asking though.

I deleted my other comment concerning the price.

Lomax
06-01-2007, 10:52 AM
I fired it up when I got it here yesterday it sounds real nice and tight the guy had a full tank of gas in it , all is drained now and the carb is dry probably be the last time it will run as long as i own it anyways . I am going to spens another day just detailing the real nit picky stuff and thats it I already have it in my showroom area with the other bikes Mike

Thats good to know that it hasnt been setting so long that all the fuel has turned into something that isnt even burnable. Lets you know that the previous owner did pay attention to it (and not ride it). Its really nice to know that it will live on setting inside being admired by you and others. I know alot people on here say they wouldnt ride it but IT good to know that a member has it that actually will not. Great find brother!
-Will

ceaserthethird
06-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Quote- Orangecnty250r - Who cares what he paid for it and it doesnt really matter. We should respect his decision not to share that. I think him sharing the pictures with us was a very nice thing to do and thats why I post my pictures when thing are done. We can look at this rare tecate and appreciate some of the original rare finds still out there. Believe me I have met my share of collectors in the past couple years and can think of 4 or 5 off the top of my head who wouldnt even dream of posting there pictures here and I respect that but man let me tell you guys we have been missing out on seeing some killer stuff because of it. Thanks again Mike and dont let repeated price comments or questions discourage you from posting your next find.

What ... Missing out on seeing stuff because we ask what they paid for it .... :rolleyes:

Mike's projects are super cool to see , seen lot's

Keep up the Good Work Mike :D

vintagemotorsports
06-01-2007, 03:40 PM
you guys are funny, like i said before i got a good deal on it lets leave it at that . I took a few pics of my office where i have all my pretty much new original bikes, the tri moto and the 87 250sx are brand new right out of the crate never run. the 86 125m has no more than 3 hours on it same with the 200s . I am almost done a 70 US90 that is being built from all nos parts as well as an all new 87 200x and lots more . I am hardcore into this stuff as anybody who knows me can tell you , its a addiction that has been with me since the age of 12, lets keep finding them

Orangecnty250r
06-01-2007, 05:41 PM
Yep she fits right in there Mike...Very Nice

As for the price asking question and other collectors you guys really... really missed my point on that one.:rolleyes:

Its OK to ask!!! No biggie and some people willingly provide that info. My point was repeately asking and making comments after a person makes it clear they would rather not (mind you the one post that touched off my response was deleted) is immature and COULD cause a person not to want to post again...

As for the other collectors ....my POINT was not that they dont post because people ask prices :rolleyes: .....they have there own personal reasons security of the location of there machines, not wanting badgering (like some tiger threads), or they just arent the sharing type. My point was simply lets appreciate the people who DO post the cool rare stuff and not question them or play detective....oooooh I know how much$$$ he payed...once again WHO CARES..its all about enjoying the machine and congratulating them....OC

Dirtcrasher
06-01-2007, 06:40 PM
I think OC's point was after a couple people ask and there isn't a reply it should be left at that.

Knowing what someone paid or how it was acquired is "interesting" not unlike asking how someone was killed. It's a touchy subject but people just want to know, maybe for the OOOWWWS and AAAHHHHS.

Nevertheless, it was an awesome find Mike and keep em coming. I'd love to know "how" you found it but I'll only ask once, LOL.

By the way, I know what he paid for the 87SX and it certainly allows me to say "OOOOOWWWW, AAAHHHH and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Huffa
06-01-2007, 06:44 PM
Where is your place at ? Is it a "showroom" for anyone to stop by and see?

Orangecnty250r
06-01-2007, 07:12 PM
Where is your place at ? Is it a "showroom" for anyone to stop by and see?

Thats like saying Sylvester Stallones "Movie preview room" is for anyone to stop by and throw expensive popcorn down with the Sly himself ;) :lol:

cr480r
06-01-2007, 07:29 PM
Viewing japanese atv's and kicking it with celebrities isn't even close to the same...

gottahaveaUS90
06-01-2007, 08:23 PM
Fantastic look at some of your collection Mike - I think you all have missed the point - when something is your passion - $$ don't really matter - you will get far more enjoyment out of being the caretaker of such fine machinery than the money would ever give you.

Thanks to Mike lots of younger folk that were either too young or not born yet would never know what some of these machines even look like let alone machines still brand spanking new!

For those of us who are old enough (maybe late 20's to around 50 or so) and grew up riding them - they are like time machines - taking us back to a day when the only thing I worried about is where I was going to grab the cash to put in the tank and what time I had to be home for dinner!

Vintage Motorsport Rocks!:beer

cr480r
06-01-2007, 08:51 PM
Knowing what someone paid or how it was acquired is "interesting" not unlike asking how someone was killed. It's a touchy subject but people just want to know, maybe for the OOOWWWS and AAAHHHHS

Its just like the barrett-jackson auctions on tv... Television has nothing to do with collectors and the toys they buy... but people just like to know the price... plain and simple. Mainly for reference and future comparison reasons I think... Some people like to keep their business to themselves which is fine, but there is nothing wrong with people posting questions of curiousity... not every question has to be answered...

Brockey
06-01-2007, 08:58 PM
Very Nice Mike. Wait nice isnt good enough to show respect for them machines. So my question is, you dont ride these machines, I can see why. What do you ride when you wants to go for a rip? Keep up the good hunting down on these bikes.

Huffa
06-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Thats like saying Sylvester Stallones "Movie preview room" is for anyone to stop by and throw expensive popcorn down with the Sly himself ;) :lol:

What's the sense of collecting them if people can't stop by to see them?

I even think that with the stuff I collect. :lol:

vintagemotorsports
06-02-2007, 12:32 AM
thanks guys, these bikes will not ever get ridden I have several bikes I ride my 86 250r is my main ride , I have a mint little alt125 that i use for trail riding and modern 4 wheelers. No my collection is not open to the public these are at my office and as you can understand I would rather not have people showing up to check out all my stuff. i am sharing these with people through pictures and I bring some to various vintage bike shows like mid ohio , and alot of my stuff is now in museams around the world such as the honda collection Hall in japan so they are open to the public in these areas . I have met alot of other hard core collectors and its real cool to see whats out there and you would not beleive the bikes i know of in private collection stuff that would make your head spin , but they all choose to keep them to themselves . for a number of reasons . I can tell you Orange countys setup is by far the nicest ATC display i have run across . it is very well laid out and displayed with class. I give Bill alot of credit he has done alot in such a short time . thats what this site is all about right ?

350xBomb
06-03-2007, 05:41 AM
dude...thats beautiful...i want a room like that in my house. or even just a big enough picture that it looks like a room.

Teeksoffroad
06-03-2007, 10:48 AM
Hey Mike. Pull the radiator off that and make it an "air fooler"

3Wheelers4Life
06-03-2007, 05:55 PM
vintagemotorsports thats a nice showroom you got, it looks like an 1980's 3 wheeler dealership with new rides. i want a showroom like that.
you said that "you would not beleive the bikes i know of in private collection stuff that would make your head spin" i dont want to hijack the thread, but if you dont mind, could you name some rare bikes that you have seen, 87 350x, 87 250r, 1988 + years 3 wheelers etc. thanks.

Tri-ZNate
01-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Yep old thread, but this tecate deserves it. The red tecate was the trike I wanted most.