PDA

View Full Version : Denied 3 wheeler service!!!

the tecate kid
05-30-2007, 07:48 PM
You guys will eat this up. I thought it would be nice to bring my daughter to trikefest this year, so I figured a tune-up of her alt 50 was in order. It had been sitting awhile, had gas pouring out of the carburator after trying to start it. An easy fix right? So I take it to our local Suzuki dealer CYCLE SPECIALTIES, the rude asshole at the counter informed me that they do not work on three wheelers, or anything else that outdated! Can you believe that?

team-red-rider
05-30-2007, 07:52 PM
whats their fone number with area code please

sandpuppi101
05-30-2007, 07:55 PM
Yep same up this way,with the local Honda dealer..But they are cool with me ,they send all models 92 and older too me,but I have to buy some stuff from them in return,but a great investment none the less..They only want to work on warranty stuff and they don't even want trikes on there property..

the tecate kid
05-30-2007, 07:58 PM
513-574-7878. In cincinnati, oh. The best thing is they have a big banner in the store claiming to be one of the nations top 10 dealers! long story made short, I took it to my local Honda dealer, GENES HONDA, he said he would be glad to look at it for me. Bravo Honda.

3Wheelers4Life
05-30-2007, 07:58 PM
they want to keep up-to-date and work on stuff where they make "the big bucks" and half of them feel that 3 wheelers are dangerous.

Louis Mielke
05-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Its not uncommon for most places to refuse work on an older machine. There are several very nice shops with nice people who just don't want to work on older machines. Its thier right to refuse to service something.

Don't get upset and be beligerant, you only give us a black eye.

I suppose you want to call them and let them know its perfectly ok for them to not want to work on three wheelers right Team-Red-Rider.

You would never think of calling them and harrrassing them and in the process telling them about 3-wheelerworld and then they'll get the idea that all of us here on this message board are jerk-offs and point fingers at us and make us look bad. They could even call the police and file claims of harassment against this message board. You would never do that because I know you're the type that doesn't jump off the deep end, or run on and on about nothing. I know you'd never talk about stuff you have no idea about or have any business discussing right?

You should tread lightly because you've got lots of eyes watching you Team-red-rider.

and tecate kid, I would just respect thier choice and not make a big thing about it. and I wouldn't go just handing thier number out. If someone wants to make a call for a good intelligent reason like Team-Red-Rider wants to they can look it up themselves.

MO dx
05-30-2007, 08:03 PM
They where banned ya know. At least thats what a kid at the yamaha dealer told me when I asked about factory service. Not bad mouthing just thought it was funny my buggy was probally older then him

Louis Mielke
05-30-2007, 08:05 PM
you can tell him production and distrobution was banned not ownership and maintainment.

the tecate kid
05-30-2007, 08:05 PM
What really stinks is they also sell Kawasaki. As you can see by my screen name I am one of their biggest fans. Guess they can kiss the thought of me buying a new KXF 450 goodbye. Hello Trx! Joe Byrd seems to like his!

Louis Mielke
05-30-2007, 08:09 PM
There you go thats the correct way to show you're disapointment in a dealership, don't support them.

team-red-rider
05-30-2007, 08:09 PM
hey Loui was just kiddin yo lol

Louis Mielke
05-30-2007, 08:11 PM
Thats what I thought Team-Red-Rider.

the tecate kid
05-30-2007, 08:12 PM
Louis, I am with you, like I said I made a long story short, what really got me is number one-he said it in front of my daughter, try explaining that to a 4 year old! and number two-there was a quadzilla in the corner. not a whole lot newer than my alt.

the tecate kid
05-30-2007, 08:14 PM
Louis, are you still able to pick that suzuki 125 up for me in Boston?

Fox250R
05-30-2007, 08:18 PM
I took my bike in to gresham honda to have my lowerend looked at.. Not only did they work on it but they washed it too... Maybe if some of you wern't such rude pricks you might get different results..

deathman53
05-30-2007, 08:21 PM
the honda dealer by me will work on trikes and older machine, I seen a very nice 350x there and 85/86 atc250r. They don't like to work on older machines as the cost of parts and labor can exceed what people are willing to pay and they can end up sitting on the bike for awhile. I always buy parts for mine from the dealer(mostly aftermarket parts) and they know me very well, they would work on mine, but I don't want to pay the $90/ hr and I would rather do everything I can myself. I always get comments about how what I spend on my trikes far exceed what many believe they are worth, they almost took a double take when I asked them if they could put a new frame on the dealer search(nationwide) and about how I paid 2g's to have a frame custom made for.

Louis Mielke
05-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Louis, are you still able to pick that suzuki 125 up for me in Boston?

I was kinda waiting for you to call me again. Give me a pm with all the details I need an address. You mean boston MD right?

Louis Mielke
05-30-2007, 08:47 PM
the honda dealer by me will work on trikes and older machine, I seen a very nice 350x there and 85/86 atc250r. They don't like to work on older machines as the cost of parts and labor can exceed what people are willing to pay and they can end up sitting on the bike for awhile. I always buy parts for mine from the dealer(mostly aftermarket parts) and they know me very well, they would work on mine, but I don't want to pay the $90/ hr and I would rather do everything I can myself. I always get comments about how what I spend on my trikes far exceed what many believe they are worth, they almost took a double take when I asked them if they could put a new frame on the dealer search(nationwide) and about how I paid 2g's to have a frame custom made for.

Don't you just love it when you pony up the big bucks and people do double takes and stuff. Suddenly its not a ratty threewheeler anymore, its yes sir, and my thats a mint bike. hehe. Just goes to show money talks and BS walks.
Just makes me smile to see people squirm like that.

350Xhilaration
05-30-2007, 08:57 PM
Not all dealers are that way. I drove by our local Yamaha dealer th eother day and there was a decent looking TriMoto or some flavor Yamaha ute trike sitting in line with the other "to be serviced" machines.

I doubt the man was being a "prick" with his 4 yr old trying to get her trike serviced.

I'd politely tell them you're disappointed with their decision and it will most definitely affect where you make future purchases of new atvs/sleds/bikes/parts/etc.

Hope there are other dealers close by where you can take your hard earned money.

Good luck.

super90
05-30-2007, 09:32 PM
I take my trike to the local honda around here and theres no questions asked. They tell me to roll it on it and they will fix it. Also the yamaha dealer, they will work on anything also. Theres another small shop/salvage yard that works on trike and does good work also.

70ATC90
05-30-2007, 10:12 PM
Yeah the Honda dealer near me said they would service my 90. But it seems that the oldier the machine is the pricier the hourly shop rate. $93/hr for the 90 and $72/hr for the raptor. wierd.

Jim mac
05-30-2007, 10:31 PM
I went to the bike shop in town for tires for my honda 90. I bought 3 of those fox tires. After I paid for them I go to pick them up, one of the kids at the parts counter, says you only have 3 tires wheres the 4th? Told him its for a ATC, should have seen the smile on his face. The parts guys got to talking about how cool they were, and wished they could find one. Jim

blue27
05-30-2007, 11:22 PM
My Wife works at a Kawi dealer and they will work on anything you can drag in there, but for some dealers trying to find parts or even someone with knowledege on older machines and this includes motorcycles is difficult. Most manufactures only produce spare parts for approx. 10yrs. Trivia: this also was part of the agrement on the stop of 3 wheeler production, that manufactures had to produce parts for upto 10yrs. So this is one reason some dealerships turn away older work, but if they do they should try and recommend a shop that could and be polite. I know she has called me looking for a resource of older parts or searching ebay for vintage motorcycle parts for a customer, it is a pain and a non billiable product. Shop are in business to turn a profit so a parts counter person on the phone or the net for hours to find a $5.00 part is a problem. Most will help you out I am sorry to here that on did not.

brrcuda
05-31-2007, 05:15 AM
I've had various experiences with different cycle shops. You just need to pick and choose the right one for you. My yami dealer is awesome, will work on 3 wheelers any time - just explain the discontinued parts situation up front to you and research what is available before hand. They even got a sweet tri-z and a tri-zinger in the showroom.

The local honda house, doesn't want anything to do with 3 wheelers. Their techs are useless though - i had to show them how to get a carrier off my 250r axle and they still charged me for the work- I just needed their press.

And the local yokal cycle shops are a joke around me. They don't want to do anything for ya - 3 wheelers or not. So much for supporting the local small businesses.

So i have learned my lessons too, wrench it on your own. You save money and feel proud to know you keep it running.

farsighted770
05-31-2007, 05:36 AM
i just take my stuff over to ATC-Erics house, lol. dealer repairs are too expensive, and i dont like mine being out of my site! as long as i have a garage to work on it and someone knowledgeable to help if i need it than im golden :D

but yeah, i certainly wouldnt support that dealer, than again i don think i'd burn his shop up either. Like someone else said, its their right to refuse service. though how they say it is basically what matters. either way good luck with your situation.

and PS Thanks Eric :D

ScottZJ
05-31-2007, 12:57 PM
Now I am going to have to come in defense of that shop and here is why. I believe 80% of the cycle shops out there make money on the selling of new bikes and gear. They usually dont make tons of money on the repairs of vehicles. Another reason for declining is due to the age of the trike. Parts are hard to come by, so if they break something on accident, then they would not be able to fix or repair it. Also most of the older rides are rusty or old, so the bolts tend to break or not make it easy to work on them. Those are just a few things "food for thought". Now I bet if you took a carb into them to fix or jet, they would probably do it with no issues. But I think the guy that was being rude was totally uncalled for, just refuse to work on it and be done with it.

honda_atc200es
05-31-2007, 04:29 PM
you can tell him production and distrobution was banned not ownership and maintainment.

exactly i am tired of people telling me trikes are banned. they are not banned, i must have told like 50+ people that, im waiting to hear from a shop about fixing up my trike, my friend called them the other day and they said they arent qualifiyed to work on it, but they were nice about it and said they would refer my friend to another dealer that will work on it. im hoping that if i discuss whats wrong with the bike and explain my point politely they will reconsider