PDA

View Full Version : Whats a good rear tire for trikefest

mapyang
05-29-2007, 09:48 PM
I have a 1985 250sx right now it has new wooley booger type tires on it , they worked great at the PA. coal mines but are the good enough for trikefest. I was wondering if GBC Dirt Devils would work better - just a thought. :wondering
This is my first time going to trikefest and I don't know what type of terrian is out there so to those who have rode there what type of rear tires were you using & were you happy with there performance.
Thanks Drew

Dirtcrasher
05-29-2007, 09:59 PM
A good tire for Trikefest is one that will hold air for 3 days!!

J/K Wooly copies are fine and so are Dirt Devils - But I had alot of trouble with my GBC's leaking at the bead and that was on new rims...

mapyang
05-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Hey thanks for the info do you think that since the dirt devils being a 6ply might have something to do with it (tire to stiff)
Drew

Tri-ZNate
05-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Wolley boggers will do nicely. If you plan on doing the MX and its muddy go with GBC Gators :lol:. I think thats what helped me out soo much

mapyang
05-30-2007, 04:17 PM
I have a 1985 250sx right now it has new wooley booger type tires on it , they worked great at the PA. coal mines but are the good enough for trikefest. I was wondering if GBC Dirt Devils would work better - just a thought. :wondering
This is my first time going to trikefest and I don't know what type of terrian is out there so to those who have rode there what type of rear tires were you using & were you happy with there performance.
Thanks Drew

Come on guys tell me what type of tires you used at trikefest I know theres more than 2 people out there who went. Are the maxxis Sur Trak any good for the terrian at trikefest. Also I have 8 inch rims on my SX now but was thinking of going to a 9 Inch rim tell me is there any benefit to this size change.
Thanks Drew

atctim
05-30-2007, 04:24 PM
The terrain there varies so much - it doesn't really matter unless you have separate tires for each occasion. You'll run into - hard packed clay, mud, more mud, even more smeary slimy mud, and mud, and the trails range from rocky rooty surfaces to slimey mud and slippery shale.

My best advice to you is to:
"Run what ya Brung"

3Wheelers4Life
05-30-2007, 04:47 PM
... Also I have 8 inch rims on my SX now but was thinking of going to a 9 Inch rim tell me is there any benefit to this size change.
Thanks Drew
the benefits are higher top end speed, more ground clearance, running a bigger tire, and they may look nicer.

Dirtcrasher
05-30-2007, 05:06 PM
A larger diameter rim doesn't affect top speed, or ground clearance, but yes you may like the look better as there is less sidewall which means less sidewall flex.

Most any general tire will work well out there. Put the Wooly copies aside and bring them along. Buy some Holeshots or Razors or something for the drier terrain...

3Wheelers4Life
05-30-2007, 08:19 PM
A larger diameter rim doesn't affect top speed, or ground clearance, but yes you may like the look better as there is less sidewall which means less sidewall flex...

if you put a taller tire and larger rim, there will be more tire and rim for the bike to sit on, so it will push the rear of the bike up higher, thus more ground clearance and the top of a larger tire will rotate faster per turn of the axle then a smaller tire, so if you have a bigger tire it will rotate faster, thus more top end speed. see pic

TimSr
05-30-2007, 08:30 PM
if you put a taller tire and larger rim, there will be more tire and rim for the bike to sit on, so it will push the rear of the bike up higher, thus more ground clearance and the top of a larger tire will rotate faster per turn of the axle then a smaller tire, so if you have a bigger tire it will rotate faster, thus more top end speed. see pic

Sorry but Im afraid a 22x12-8, and a 22x12-9 are the same height, with the exact same gearing, and the rim size is not a factor in gearing as Dirtcrasher explained. There would be very few tire sizes for which they do not make both an 8" and 9" version.

I answer to the original post, and good trail/woods/mud tire will, work fine other then for the MX track where a flat profile, lower traction tire works best. I have a set of ALL Trax, and a set of Turf Tamers both on rims, and that covers about anything.

Huffa
05-30-2007, 08:40 PM
This might help you mapyang. I felt it would be better is I do a seperate posting and in a few days I imagine should get some good comments ........

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?p=500021#post500021

mapyang
05-30-2007, 09:04 PM
Huffa thanks for article on the tires it helped I know now that the dirt devils are not the right choice. What type of rear tires are on your SX & please tell me your likes & dislikes. Oh are you going to be at trikefest year if so on what day will you arriving on.
Thanks Drew

mapyang
05-30-2007, 09:14 PM
Sorry but Im afraid a 22x12-8, and a 22x12-9 are the same height, with the exact same gearing, and the rim size is not a factor in gearing as Dirtcrasher explained. There would be very few tire sizes for which they do not make both an 8" and 9" version.

I answer to the original post, and good trail/woods/mud tire will, work fine other then for the MX track where a flat profile, lower traction tire works best. I have a set of ALL Trax, and a set of Turf Tamers both on rims, and that covers about anything.

Hey Timsr I do have a set a all traks on my step sons Sx they work great just need to remount 1 tire it leaks a the bead. I am already stealing his gas tank (plastic) and switching it with my little rusty metal tank so now if I still his tires too I think he will shot me:crazy: Rockymountianatv is out of stock on the all traks 22x11x9. So I kind of like the maxxis sur trak there a little cheaper in price plus they list them as a all around kind of tire (rocks,mud,snow) too.
Thanks Drew

mike from long island
05-30-2007, 09:18 PM
Hey drew I had those all traks at trikefest one year.They worked awesome.I went threw it all.They fling mud everywhere.Best mud type tire I have owned yet.I would go with them.

mapyang
05-30-2007, 09:25 PM
Thanks mike hows the family ( wife & daughter ) doing hope all is well & that you are going to come to trikefest with Todd & I. Yeah those all traks area mean tire, but I kind of like the Sur Traks.;)
Drew

Huffa
05-30-2007, 09:31 PM
Huffa thanks for article on the tires it helped I know now that the dirt devils are not the right choice. What type of rear tires are on your SX & please tell me your likes & dislikes. Oh are you going to be at trikefest year if so on what day will you arriving on.
Thanks Drew

I love the (like a few others said) The Maxxis All Trac's !!

I run the standard size of 22X11X8. The few complaints I have is they get TOO GOOD of traction (made it almost all the way through that mudhole in a wheelie fashion, thanks All Tracs! ...well, and my skill :beer ) sometime and are hard to get spinning when you want to get the SX sideways a bit but for your nature of riding (I'm accustom sort of from watching you) the AT's would be the hot ticket for you.

This is my 3rd set, they wear like Iron and I never even came close to wearing any that I had out! The other two were on a trike and quad that I sold years ago. I never had a flat on any of them either and if I did, I bet you could STILL finish out the day with having a flat,they are that strong! I think they give a decent ride too.

Also, they are directional tires, so you can run them either way.

Motox track wise is the biggest negative for them and I'd rather have a 20" on with less bite but still wouldn't buy another set JUST to do the track at Haspin.

ALSO :lol: .........note how the sidewall tread AND sidewall itself tends to bulge out a bit beyond the wheel which translates to being great wheel edge protectors from rocks and such. :beer

You can get them for about 50 bucks a piece or so.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v253/huffa/MAX-C9209-22119.jpg

03 ORANGE SHEE
06-01-2007, 04:28 PM
whatever you ran at paragon will work fine out there, same kinda terrain

chris200x
06-01-2007, 04:44 PM

I don't believe Mapyang's tires touched that ground much Nathan? :banned: :lol:

Huffa
06-01-2007, 04:53 PM

It is true, what you have wiil work fine but buying new meats is always fun, once you decide which ones to get :D I had no problem with that :rolleyes:

mapyang
06-01-2007, 06:45 PM
I don't believe Mapyang's tires touched that ground much Nathan? :banned: :lol:
Thanks Chris you are such a good friend:lol: I'll try and keep it on all 3 at trikefest;)
Drew

mapyang
06-01-2007, 06:55 PM
It is true, what you have wiil work fine but buying new meats is always fun, once you decide which ones to get :D I had no problem with that :rolleyes:

Huffa your right I am exited about getting some new meats.:w00t: I think I am going to get the Maxxis Sur Traks 22x11x9 on new ITP steel rims:) I will be calling Rockymountianatv this weekend can't wait.:) Though I"m more exited about going to Trikefest .
Drew

Dirtcrasher
06-01-2007, 08:30 PM
You'll be even more excited if you can foot the aluminum .190 Douglas. I'll bet it's another 40$ more than your steel rims. Give them a call and find out the difference, aluminum won't rust or bend like steel and make sure those tires have a tough sidewall.

Here I hit branches and rocks all the time, two sets of tires ordered incorrectly have been sidewall lashed in one days riding - NO BS!! I always make sure to spend the extra 20$ and get XCR, R, EX or whatever dam suffix I have to add to the tire to insure I get a 6 ply sidewall. It's worth it to me....