PDA

View Full Version : various tri-z questions

pickleweasel_00
05-28-2007, 01:02 AM
so you guys are probably sick of my tri-z questions by now, but hey I had a few more :D Why not knock them all out in one post? So I got my tri-z running the other day. I put on a Sprock Racing head (thanks to corey!). It ran pretty good but the carb os junky and I put on a 34mm pj carb and it ran better. Well it blew out an o-ring on the head since after pulling it apart i noticed the sleeve is slightly lower than the deck height. My fault for not noticing, the head worked great and the o-rings should last a long time when set up on a better cylinder deck. So I need to have the top of the cylinder milled.

Now the questions...

I'm gonna use the 34mm PJ for awhile and get it dialed in. What do you guys run? I was looking at the mikuni flat slides as a possible upgrade. I'm not going to be riding flat out all the time so I probably don't need a 38mm or 39mm carb. But gimme your suggestions anyways :)

For the exhaust, it has stock pipe and silencer. Sice it is going to be apart, what's a good way to clean the insides out? Should I ditch the stock silencer or are they decent? Are there any benefits uf upgrading to a DG pipe? Kinda pricey, and the stock one works :wondering

Sprockets-Pretty sure they're stock. It winds out pretty quick, what sizes should I look at? I read here somewhere that 14-40 is a good combo? It has the five speed. I want to ride trails once in awhile but be able to get a little more top end out of it. So I want good off the line without winding out too quick.

Radiator hoses...anybody have any spares? a couple of mine look a little dicey but they are still holding.

Good aftermarket coils? If mine takes a crap (it's 22 years old) I want a good replacement/upgrade.

That's it for now, if I can think of anything else, I'll let ya know :beer

ATC-Eric
05-28-2007, 02:50 AM
I got my Tri-Z with a DG exhuast, so my opinion is a bit biasd. I have heard however that an aftermarket exhuast is day and night difference.

Sorry, no advice on the rest. Good luck.

Bryan Raffa
05-28-2007, 11:45 AM
so you guys are probably sick of my tri-z questions by now, but hey I had a few more :D Why not knock them all out in one post? So I got my tri-z running the other day. I put on a Sprock Racing head (thanks to corey!). It ran pretty good but the carb os junky and I put on a 34mm pj carb and it ran better. Well it blew out an o-ring on the head since after pulling it apart i noticed the sleeve is slightly lower than the deck height. My fault for not noticing, the head worked great and the o-rings should last a long time when set up on a better cylinder deck. So I need to have the top of the cylinder milled.

Now the questions...

I'm gonna use the 34mm PJ for awhile and get it dialed in. What do you guys run? I was looking at the mikuni flat slides as a possible upgrade. I'm not going to be riding flat out all the time so I probably don't need a 38mm or 39mm carb. But gimme your suggestions anyways :)

For the exhaust, it has stock pipe and silencer. Sice it is going to be apart, what's a good way to clean the insides out? Should I ditch the stock silencer or are they decent? Are there any benefits uf upgrading to a DG pipe? Kinda pricey, and the stock one works :wondering

Sprockets-Pretty sure they're stock. It winds out pretty quick, what sizes should I look at? I read here somewhere that 14-40 is a good combo? It has the five speed. I want to ride trails once in awhile but be able to get a little more top end out of it. So I want good off the line without winding out too quick.

Radiator hoses...anybody have any spares? a couple of mine look a little dicey but they are still holding.

Good aftermarket coils? If mine takes a crap (it's 22 years old) I want a good replacement/upgrade.

That's it for now, if I can think of anything else, I'll let ya know :beer

I think you will be quite happy with a flat slide 36-38mm kiehin or mikuni there both good carbs

stock pipes are on the heavy side but good! dich the stock silencer and get a DG But save the stock silencer its US forest approved and will come in handy if ya ever go to the dunes or a state forest..

a stock 44 on the rear and a 14 on the front runs good and holds the low end for tight woods rideing..you could even bump the front to a 15 witch is like going up 3 teeth on the rear.. if it seems to wind out fast in 1st and 2nd..

I got rad hoses which ones do ya need?

coils are pretty comman and used on many diffrent bikes dont worrie about findin one of them..

I just noticed thats the JERK in your avatar!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

chris200x
05-28-2007, 12:00 PM
Yup.. I'm using a coil from an older YZ250 dirtbike on my tri z. you can pick something like that up CHEEP on ebay.. I think I got mine for $7 shipped.

Also,, I'm using the stock expansion chamber and a DG silencer.. I just fired it up for the first time yesterday but was pleased with how mellow it sounds. Not very loud at all.

Bryan Raffa
05-28-2007, 12:25 PM
Yes stock pipes with a DG silencer have a real nice sound to them.. the DG pipes really raise the loudness..kinda like fartin in a coffie can!:lol: :lol:

pickleweasel_00
05-28-2007, 02:25 PM
I just noticed thats the JERK in your avatar!!:lol: :lol: :lol:

Ha ha, yes! Somebody finally got it, prolly one of my favorite movies!

Anyways, 36mm isn't too big for daily riding? Still want a little low end but i guess these are high winding machines. Think the 36mm with stock pipe and dg silencer is a good combo? Is the dg silencer much better than stock?

I think I'll play with the sprockets, and as for radiator hoses, I was just looking for another set so I would have some spares if I ever need them.

Oh, what kind of throttle cables do you use? Mine is not quite made for my machine but it gets the job done, it screws into the cap on the carb and doesn't really connect to the thumb throttle, just kinda sits there and the spring pressure holds it tight

Bryan Raffa
05-28-2007, 05:17 PM
I like to use a 86 throttle or warrior,raptor,blaster,banshee with the wires cut off, any of them threded.. and a 83 250R cable you will need to get the little brass adjuster for the cap.

ya I think that would be a good all around combo..