PDA

View Full Version : Necessity of Reservoir Tank?

BigRedRunner
05-27-2007, 11:17 PM
Sorry for all the post lately, but I'm on the home stretch of this project. Actually the faint odor of paint curing on brake parts is wafting out of the oven at this very moment. Anyways, '85 250R that didn't have an overflow tank when I bought it. How important is this item to have? Are we talking major capacity comprimise or merely a little green stuff in the dirt?

pickleweasel_00
05-28-2007, 12:41 AM
i have older cars without an overflow and no problems so I wouldn't think it would hurt anything. But...the cooling system is of pretty limited capacity so it would be nice for some added assurance

BigRedRunner
05-28-2007, 02:47 AM
Yea, new Honda tank and parts is around $40. I got too much in this thing to take any risks.

dunerash
05-28-2007, 09:10 AM
I dont run one.. Ive never had a problem overheating. I just took the hose that goes to the overflow and aimed it at the back side of the pipe, if it overheats it will steam.

Daddio
05-28-2007, 12:27 PM
Actually the overflow tank plays an important part in the cooling system. If your engine overheats and coolant is forced out of the radiator and goes into the overflow tank it will be pulled back in to the radiator when it cools back down. If there is no tank it just spills out and is gone. If you lose too much coolant on a long ride you could end up screwing up your engine. I would say if it came with one it would be wise to keep it on there.

torker
05-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Very true what Daddio said. But I've had most of my machines without the reservoir tank and there has been no problem at all. What I mean is that it will not cause any harm to not have one. Having one, if it overheats, will save the coolant/water for later use, if it does not spits out of your sistem.
Hope this helps
TORKER.

Red Rider
05-28-2007, 06:57 PM
I've had most of my machines without the reservoir tank and there has been no problem at all. What I mean is that it will not cause any harm to not have one.It won't cause any harm as long as you consistently check the coolant level & refill as necessary before each & every ride. Otherwise, you'll eventually find yourself starting out on a ride with a coolant system that only contains about half of it's necessary capacity.