PDA

View Full Version : Are wheelies bad?

super90
05-26-2007, 10:59 PM
I read somewhere that wheelies can lead to engine siezing or something from lack of oil? Ive been doing alot of them lately through fields and want to find out before my engine go's. Thanks

i58829
05-26-2007, 11:12 PM
I know that the 86 350x had an improved oil pump set-up to keep it flowing better when riding on steep side hills, and climbing. I dont know the details but i've seen it a few places...

bigreddaddy
05-26-2007, 11:15 PM
I seriously doubt it.

super90
05-26-2007, 11:24 PM
I know on the newer ATVs they all have good oil pumps, but im not sure about a 1986 200x? My friend that rides an 83 wheelies constantly and theres never been a problem, buts its always low on compression and smokes. mine does neither

i58829
05-26-2007, 11:30 PM
I think the issue on the 350x's had to do with the oil cooler and maybe not keeping enough pressure or something to that effect. Since the 200's dont use a cooler of any kind i would say they will be fine. I dont really have anything to back up my ideas but it makes sense in my mind...

200x newby
05-27-2007, 12:47 AM
yes and no.... it really depends on how long you ride a wheelie and if its a 2 stroke or 4 stroke my buddy blew up his 400ex doing a wheelie because it starved it of oil but he had also been riding(no lie)a 2 mile wheel(once again no lie) but that was a 4 stroke now on 2 strokes the only oil to worry about is the tranny oil but that runs to the back where all the gears are so it sloshes it around pretty good to keep it lubed while the crank and piston are kept oiled by the carb. short wheelies anywhere from 1ft-1/8ml wont cause any harm but its the real long ones that will cause serious damage.

super90
05-27-2007, 01:25 AM
Yeah I can believe it. Its not uncommon to see the new sport machines doing 2 mile + wheelies on the roads. If I was in the dunes and there was a giant flat spot I could probably do that too. But when I do it on the road it usually cuts over to one side from unbalanced wheel PSI and a minor bent axle.

200x newby, about that supertrapp exhaust. I've been having alot of other mechanical problems with my X. Every bushing is blow or loose and alot of things are stripped or snapped. Once I get everything back together I will let you know about the exhaust. I've also been experementing fitting exhausts on but none really will work without extensive modification.

super90
05-27-2007, 02:05 AM
I have an aftermarket carrier with timken bearings. Only problem i ever had was the jam nut coming loose. Spinning donuts tends to loosen my swingarm alot. I guess Ill just stick to jumping then? But wait that wears out my bushings? Hmmm?

slothminx
05-27-2007, 05:43 AM
What I would be worrying about is the $40 rear axle bearings and seals you will have to replace after a week or two of wheelies.

Wheelies wont wear out your rear axle bearings and seals unless they are already completely trashed.

MyMistress86R
05-27-2007, 08:46 AM
IMO...wheelies are only bad if you have absolutely no sense of the "balance point" and your grabbar is too short...lol.

digity x
05-27-2007, 10:12 AM
or your powerband kicks in and sends you for a loop.

Kintore
05-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Nah, ive done them for ages on my 200, Tri Z, 250r, 350x (borrowed) and no issues. Im talking 5-6th gear ones, and no issues, You will be fine!

digity x
05-27-2007, 10:34 AM
wow you must fly on the 2 strokes,

SYKO
05-27-2007, 10:43 AM
nope there only "BAD" if you get caught doing them with "TRAIL PRO TIRES"!!!!

the great gazoo
05-27-2007, 01:17 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol: Lmao, Syko, you beat me to it!

Rustytinhorn
05-27-2007, 05:14 PM
In all your manuals it says not to do wheelies cuz the oil level in the engine wont maintain the proper level and parts wont get lubed. I dont suppose a little wheelie here and there would hurt, cuz its not really any different than climbing a steep hill. However, like everyone was saying before, I wouldn't do ones longer than a couple of seconds. Why take the risk? It is true that certain parts arent wet when doing wheelies.

super90
05-27-2007, 05:30 PM
Thanks for informing me. I never knew that some parts didnt get oil to them? I did a pretty long one through a field today. Probably 200 yards or so. I also see that it takes effect on sprockets also. I think im done for a while

Yamada
05-27-2007, 05:40 PM
takes effect on sprockets? What do you mean?

super90
05-27-2007, 09:33 PM
Im not sure thats whats causing it, but after a long day of wheelieing the other day my 15 tooth sprocket seemed to wear significantly. It could be from using a junk chain also. But this "junk" chain held up better than a $60 DID gold chain did.. A few of the small roller between links snapped out on my DID. When the time comes im getting a brand new 37 tooth rear and a brand new 15 front with a new chain.

350xBomb
05-28-2007, 03:33 AM
yep, change em all at once, or the imperfections in one will cause defects in the other. but as far as wheelies go...it was said earlier....its no different than climbing a steep hill...I wheelie all the time...if the front tire is on the ground im not having enough fun...just pay attention to the bike.

brapp
05-29-2007, 10:32 PM
well i do alotttttttt of wheelies and have only ever blew up 2 bikes whiel doing wheelies. one was an 83200x and thats becaus ei was up on the rear wheels for abotu 10 min going in circles( 2 diffrent size tires) and i hapen to over rev it for a few seconds to brign the front end back up. and the other one was a 350x for going down at the local airport the entire length fo the run way and it starved the forward mounted oil pump on my 85 350x at the time. but that also coudl ahve been atributed to low oil.

Dammit!
05-30-2007, 01:52 AM
Wheelies won't cause any damage to chains, sprockets or bearings.

On my '85 200x when I was a kid, somehow a bunch of oil managed to spew out of the breather tube while doing some extended "walkers" (my term for nearly vertical, walking speed wheelies). My best guess is because you end up working the brake and clutch quite a bit doing those, sort of rocking back and forth to keep balance. Probably just got the oil sloshing around in there. Ended up needing to do some top end work not long after that. Keep a careful eye on your oil level.

super90
05-30-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the tips, I've been checking my oil after ever ride basically. I realized that wheelies are not the culprit of my sprockets. Its that I have an old junk chain on there thats wearing them a little bit too fast. Only other thing is the overflow on the carb, Is there anyway to bypass it pouring gas out? Seems like a waste to me?

200x newby
05-30-2007, 04:59 PM
on my 86 200x i just put a screw in the over flow sure it will bog if you let off the gas while its tilted bacl that far but when your doing a wheelie it will suck up that extra fuel and keep the motor going. goesnt bog while normal riding oinly when you your riding a wheelie and let off the gas but it is barley noticable. had it on there for about 5 months and no problems or loss of performance what so ever.

seddon
10-13-2007, 08:08 PM
i have a 200s in my x and i am always putting rings in that thing have also blow it up on a great one

NINJA
10-14-2007, 02:07 AM
It seems to me that the second gen. 200Xs don't like those mile long wheelies. I've got 4 heads for mine and the last one ate it's cam and did a near seize on it's bearings. The newer quads can handle much longer wheelies because they run a sump setup and oil tank instead of having it in the crankcase. But asking if wheelies are bad is like asking if boobs are bad. To which I would answer yes, if they are too big.

RedRider_AK
10-14-2007, 02:34 AM
That's why I love two-smokes. You can wheelie then almost indefinetely because the engine gets all it's lubing from the gasoline/oil premix!

RedRider_AK
10-14-2007, 02:48 AM
nope there only "BAD" if you get caught doing them with "TRAIL PRO TIRES"!!!!

Oh my god. :lol: :lol: