PDA

View Full Version : The new to me 85 350x UPDATED W/PICS 6/3

i58829
05-26-2007, 09:20 PM
SCROLL DOWN FOR UPDATED PICS FROM TODAY

Just wanted to show a few pics of the new 350x i got a couple days ago. My computer wasn't working right so i had to wait til i got that fixed to post some pics. Anyway i got it from the original owner. It still has 87, 88, and 89 croom stickers on it. It sat out in the sun and got some damage like the brake resivor clear plastic dry rotted, and cracked. The black boot on the front brake cable is all sticky and partially melted, front shock boots are in rough shape. The seat cover was baked off, i recovered it today in black which i plan to install on my 86. It fires and runs but needs a carb kit which i ordered from ebay this week, and the front sprocket is in sad shape with heavily worn teeth. The chain never popped and cracked the mounting tab on the case (like my 86) and everything feels really tight and looks to be all stock but the rear tires/grab bar, and its missing the header heatshield. It still has the parking brake setup on it but he said the rear brakes haven't worked as long as they can remember...

70ATC90
05-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Nice dude. Great find!!!

3Wheelers4Life
05-26-2007, 09:53 PM
looks a little rough, but nice find.

i58829
05-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Here's the seat, i have got to give credit to the guys that can cover a seat without creases in the back corners. That wasn't gonna happen for me, and the foam had a bump in the front i think due to the way the original cover was starting to fall off. Anyway i thought i could just pull it tight to smooth out the bump but as it turns out i just have a lump. Oh well its for my personal use and i plan to ride it so its really not a huge deal, its better than nothing and it only cost me at 2.50 worth of vinyl, and a couple hours. Next time i'll hack up the foam before hand so i know it will fit and look like its stock. I'm gonna make some stencils of the '350X' and 'honda' from the original seat to put on it in white...

i58829
05-28-2007, 09:45 PM
I decided since the tank was all beat up to simply strip and repaint it. I didn't take the time to sand it after the stripper, just cleaned it with mineral spirits, and it didn't turn out perfect. I think some stock style stickers will take away from the dents and rougher areas in the paint, plus plan to use the red maier tank shrouds off my 86 since there weren't any on it when i got it.

And since i recovered the seat, i'm going to make the stencils for the 350X and HONDA this week to wrap that up. Also i pulled out the 50 stitches and the metal on the back of the rear plastics, and placed an order for red zip ties so all in all the machine should like presentable from 10 feet away, and i'm only up to about 30.00 so far.

Next on the list is cleaning up around the back half of the frame and detailing the airbox, installing my old UNI filter, and i have a complete rear light assy on the way...

i58829
06-03-2007, 03:56 PM
Well its not perfect but it will make a nice buggy to beat up on. I took out the black stiches and got some red zip ties to make it look a little bit cleaner. Here's what i've named 'A Wolf in Sheeps Clothing' I loved my 200x but its just not big enough for someone 6'2" and 200+ so here is what i've made out of my beat up 350x. I have a few more things to do and the bars are coming in the near future so it should be ready to go before too long...

longbedGTs
12-24-2007, 07:54 AM
Just ran into this thread doing a search. This puppy's mine now! :twisted: :welcome:

Dirtcrasher
12-24-2007, 11:55 AM
Looking good bud!!

As for the vinyl, it's all in the brand you get. I have tried another brand and I couldn't get it to work. The right vinyl has a stretch to it in one direction and the back of it is a durable white mesh type material. The cotton type backing wouldn't work for me - too tough!

Hey, it looks just fine though!!

Weren't you selling the worse of your two 350X's a while back?? Is that the one that was on EBAY??

longbedGTs
12-24-2007, 12:03 PM
psst... I bought the trike pictured here. :naughty:
I just stumbled upon this thread in a search and felt like bumping it. :postwhore
Oh, he did a good job with the seat covering, but Im thinking about going with a darker black or dark grey with the stock "350X' script. Decisions, decisions.