PDA

View Full Version : '84 Tecate, need help!

Levithan
05-23-2007, 02:26 AM
Hi guys. I finally got the flywheel off, and this is what ive seen so far;

The Flywheel is fine for the most part, but on the edges the magnets have chipped in 2 places, as the pics show. Does this mean that I need to replace the flywheel? Amazingly the magnets havent fallen off the flywheel like most people say they do. When I took the side case off, all the the screws have no corrosion either, which is something I havent seen in a 3 wheeler before. So what do you guys think about this? The plug wouldnt spark when I held it to the case before. What other causes do you know of that May cause no spark in these bikes? The wiring looks fairly clean, and the switch has no corrosion from what Ive seen. Ive attached a few pics here as well. All help is appreciated. Thanks much guys!

cr480r
05-23-2007, 03:20 AM
Has the flywheel been dropped or struck with a hammer? There is no way to test a flywheel besides replacing it with a part known to be good... I have had problems with my kill switch before... just un-plug it while troubleshooting... I have also had problems with coils and coil grounds... plug wire/boot... I have even carelessly assembled the bike before and pinched wires...I am sure someone on here has the appropriate resistance specs so you can test your stator and ignition coils... thus eliminating some possibilities...

Levithan
05-23-2007, 05:11 AM
As long as this bike has been in my posession, it hasnt been hit with anything. I didnt even have to tap on the puller to get it out, it just popped out. Will the bike still spark if there isnt any kill/run switch attached? Also, if this flywheel is bad, where would I be able to get another one? I havent seen any on ebay so far...

BigGreenMachine
05-23-2007, 09:55 AM
Rickey Stator is the source for stators and flywheels. My advice is to buy their flywheel and the replacement coils for your stator and put them on yourself if your any good at wiring. (really isn't hard)

RID3R
05-23-2007, 12:04 PM
Check out the engine switch, That was the problem with mine not sparking when I got mine. Take it off from around the handle bars and see if it sparks.

Levithan
05-23-2007, 02:09 PM
Are you sure about the Ricky stator flywheel? I thought you said it was garbage. I thought I read somewhere that they ship them unbalanced, and can cause an engine meltdown. Forgive me if im wrong. I just wanna make sure I can ride this bike for a while. I will check the switch today. Is there enough damage on the flywheel to cause a weak spark do you think? Well, thanks guys, you've all really helped me out alot! :beer

BigGreenMachine
05-23-2007, 02:37 PM
The Rickey Stator flywheel/stator combos are hit or miss. I've had ppl say they worked fine on their machine and whatnot but the two I've had have been nothing but trouble. Still have one in the shed that I've been meaning to send back to be tested/replaced. Think I may use the flywheel and keep the coils. The stator plates are timed wrong if I remember what Corey Sprock told me.

In any case the OEM plate works fine with the RS coils used on it. Not sure about the flywheel alone but thats the setup I'll be using.

To test your stator using an ohmmeter disconnect the 3 pin connector under the tank;

Meter X 10

BK-BL 170 - 250
BK-W/R 185 - 280
BL-W/R 20 - 30

If the stator tests out fine and all your electrical is fine replace the flywheel/stator as a combo says the manual.

I'd get the flywheel first and if that fails get the new coils for your stator plate.

Hope that makes sense.

BigGreenMachine
05-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Oh and don't reuse that flywheel. The glue is cracked and chances are that will spread causing the magnets to come off when you don't want them to. I have an OEM flywheel that I run and it makes me nervous. haha Going to run the RS flywheel.

Levithan
05-23-2007, 06:01 PM
Can I get a KX flywheel and stator and put them on there? Would it be more affordable that way? Im just trying to figure out what my options are so I can get this bike running as soon as possible.

BigGreenMachine
05-23-2007, 07:05 PM
83/84 KX250 stator and flywheel will work. Will not work without KX CDI box.

Levithan
05-24-2007, 01:59 AM
are those pages from the 84-85 manual? If so, I have it downloaded already. On page 14-12, thats what im supposed to do right? Im gonna go pick up a VOM first thing in the morning. Wish me luck!

cr480r
05-24-2007, 03:25 AM
83/84 KX250 stator and flywheel will work. Will not work without KX CDI box.

'85, '86, and probably '87 will work too... I had a '85 system on mine...

Can I get a KX flywheel and stator and put them on there? Would it be more affordable that way? Im just trying to figure out what my options are so I can get this bike running as soon as possible.

The KX system is not for everyone... I liked mine, But I have a +4" swingarm... So I just let it rip...The KX system stalls much easier during take-offs, braking, and trail/woods riding(the grabby clutch is bad enough). They have instant power delivery... causing less controlable wheelies, excessive wheelspin, etc... And no headlight provisions for night riding... Its still a great mod for the right person... A serious racer or daytime duner would love it...

Im just trying to figure out what my options are so I can get this bike running as soon as possible.

I would use your current flywheel if your problem is found to be elsewhere... Its just the edges that appear chipped... If it runs...use it...

If the stator tests out fine and all your electrical is fine replace the flywheel/stator as a combo says the manual.

I'd get the flywheel first and if that fails get the new coils for your stator plate.

Hope that makes sense.

If the stator is within spec I would definately re-use it... IMO there isnt much point in checking it otherwise... Check the ignition coil too... the CDI and the flywheel are the tough components to troubleshoot...