PDA

View Full Version : 85/86 250R OEM rear tires

Huffa
05-21-2007, 03:59 PM
I see the 85 R came with 22X11x9's and the 86 came with 20X11X9's.

Did they come with the same brand (Ohtsu's ??) on and style or did Honda switch brands?

I want OEM jobs for my 84 but don't want the style that came on them in 84, I like the newer versions better but it's been a while since I have seen them.

I'd appreciate good pic's if your running stockers and appreciate you telling me what type of terrian you ride on with them and how you like them.

I always thought, till now that is (specs listed on 3WW), that both years 85 & 86 came with the same size, so if you have experiance with both sizes, on same R, that would be most interesting also as to the comments you might have on 20 verses 22's. Common sense tells me the 20's would slide easier, lower the center of gravitiy a bit and gear it lower but I'd still like to hear what you have to say. I realize the tread pattern plays a key role into traction/handling of machine too.

Thanks!

Yamahondaman
05-21-2007, 04:21 PM
i know that back in the day that the 85 ATC was faster on top because of the Taller Tire but the 86 Tire was Cooler Looking.. the 85's grew up like the 350x's and the 86's didn't ... kinda like the MR501 Radial's that came on the 88-89 TRX's.
the NEWER the Tire .... The Better ... :naughty:

86waterpumper
05-21-2007, 05:04 PM
Hey man, not sure where you saw the info that the 85 250r came with 22" tires in 85, but it did not. The 85R came with 20 x 10" wide dunlops, and in 86 got switched to ohstus, but remained the same size on 9" rims. This is evidenced in this brochure

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/Brochures/ATCsite/85atc250r.html

and also in many mags, but also in the fact that the gearing on the sprockets remained constant between 85 and 86. 84 had a 22" x 11" wide on a 8" rim. If I had a 84 I'd definately switch to a 20" tire, it would make the bike handle alot better.

Huffa
05-21-2007, 05:29 PM
Thanks.

Referring to where i got the spec's, I said ......

" I always thought, till now that is (specs listed on 3WW) that both years 85 & 86 came with the same size "

85 R specs ....... http://www.3wheelerworld.com/1985HondaSpecpage.shtml

3WW has the specs wrong then.

Yea, I also know it will handle better with 20's but I'm willing to sacrafice a bit of handling for the sake of having better ground clearence. That's on the top of my list because of the type terrian I will be taking it on.

Dammit!
05-21-2007, 05:30 PM
I just got a full set of stock 85 R tires from cal-atv (via ebay). I think it was $150 including shipping. They were 20's in the rear for both years (85-86). Just the brand changed from dunlop in 85 to Ohtsu in 86 but the tread and everything is the same. I can tell you the dunlops are a little more rounded than the ohtsus. I'll take some pics a little later. I have both sets mounted on rims right now.

chris200x
05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
Huffa, I think you can manage riding here with 20 inch tires on that 300r :D
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e137/chrisr200x/hickoryrunwoohoo016.jpg

Huffa
05-21-2007, 05:37 PM
I just got a full set of stock 85 R tires from cal-atv (via ebay). I think it was $150 including shipping. They were 20's in the rear for both years (85-86). Just the brand changed from dunlop in 85 to Ohtsu in 86 but the tread and everything is the same. I can tell you the dunlops are a little more rounded than the ohtsus. I'll take some pics a little later. I have both sets mounted on rims right now.

OK, I guess?? 3WW definitly has it wrong then, you want to notify someone to change the specs? You, me, whoever, I don't care.

Weird that it took this long for that to be discovered ?

They went from Ohtu's's to Dun's but the tread pattern stayed the same? How can that be? You mean CLOSE to the same or EXACTLY, being a replica of the O's tread pattern?

I thought that accomplishment could only be done by one company buying out the other, is that what happened?

Huffa
05-21-2007, 05:39 PM
Huffa, I think you can manage riding here with 20 inch tires on that 300r :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess that is Hickory Run, I'd need 30-40 inchers for there !!

Nice Pic !! :beer

Yamahondaman
05-21-2007, 05:44 PM
ROCK'S !!! OH HELL NOOOOO ... :rolleyes:
What are all them people looking for out there ...Cotton ?

Huffa
05-21-2007, 05:45 PM
ROCK'S !!! OH HELL NOOOOO ... :rolleyes:
What are all them people looking for out there ...Cotton ?

NO, smaller rocks :D

chris200x
05-21-2007, 05:56 PM
I guess that is Hickory Run, I'd need 30-40 inchers for there !!

Nice Pic !! :beer

Yup.. boulder field (who woulda guessed :rolleyes: ) Everytime I go there,, there are bus full of chinese tourists taking pics!

sorry for the hi jack! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Huffa
05-21-2007, 06:03 PM
hi jack no problem, my brain functions that way too sort of so what's the diff :lol:

Next time up at the boulder field, paint 3wheelerworld.com on one of the rocks, OK ? :lol:

Either that or I'll put my avatar sticker on one!! :beer

.......better idea yet, paint a rock at home, then take it up :D

Dammit!
05-21-2007, 06:11 PM
Here you go. Bald ohtsu on the left, brand new dunlop on the right. Pretty much identical. You can see in the second pic how much bigger a 20 inch holeshot is.

Huffa
05-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Here you go. Bald ohtsu on the left, brand new dunlop on the right. Pretty much identical. You can see in the second pic how much bigger a 20 inch holeshot is.

Your right, they do look very close !

Did the bald dunlops at one time also have each tread "cut out" depth wiselike on the O's?

Wonder if the compound is close to the same too?

Same amount of plies? Steel, nylon ? :D

Dammit!
05-21-2007, 06:31 PM
The tread is identical in every way (I have a new ohtsu on the front). All the cuts and everything are the same. Not sure about the construction. They weigh about the same though so I'm inclined to think there's no appreciable difference.

Louis Mielke
05-21-2007, 07:12 PM
I'll tell you what tires not to put on the rear of that 250r. Kenda Knarlys. ugh. I road all day with 20x11x9 knarlys on the back and no matter how hard I tried I just could not get comfortable on them. The have too much side bite, the stock 250r just doesn't break them loose enough to slide around an MX track.

Honestly I bought them for my 500, and they're fine on the big5, more than enough power to break them loose to power slide, but they suck on the 250r.

I've been riding bald ohstus so long I'm afraid if I order a set of the dunlop replacements it will be the knarlys all over again, too much side bite.

Any advice/oppinions?

Dammit!
05-21-2007, 07:50 PM
The OEM tires should have a lot less side bite than the knarlys.

jason85atc250r
05-21-2007, 08:32 PM
the stock dunlops when new slide real easy. i've had a couple sets over the years

oh that rock field would be fun with a truck. they have one like that in Rausch Creeks truck section. i never tried it yet

Huffa
05-21-2007, 09:32 PM
the stock dunlops when new slide real easy. i've had a couple sets over the years

oh that rock field would be fun with a truck. they have one like that in Rausch Creeks truck section. i never tried it yet

Didn't know they had a truck section, for years now?