PDA

View Full Version : trike not running (trobleshooting)

honda_atc200es
05-20-2007, 10:22 PM
im starting to give up, i dont know what to do. recntly i bought a carb off a 200x and put it on my bigred, thinking that would get it to start, but i have had no luck, so im trying to figure out what it is. the only time i get it started is if i put gas in the plug hole and pop start it, then it turns over, drives a short distance and dies. i cant figure out why the engine wont get gas.so im going to list my possib;e problems and maybe someone could tell me if thats whats wrong.

-vacume hose for fuel line
-old oil
-mufffler gasket missing
-only have header pipe on
-when using electric start bike makes poping sound, soundslike it wants to go, but it wont (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZf_lxq6UQ0)

possible soultions
-new fuel hose
-towing bike to start
-new oil
-air fliter
-muffler
-replacing piston and valves ( oh i hope not)

i just really need some sort of comfirmatin, a little hope that its something simple keeping my bike from running, if anyone as an idea f whats wrong please tell me, i just need something to ride, and if i cant get this trike runing by july im selling it

super90
05-20-2007, 10:30 PM
Could possibly be the piston or valves. Or else its fouling plugs?

200x newby
05-20-2007, 10:34 PM
if you hear a popping sound cam chain may be loose and out of timing but in just enough to run for a short time.

Erics350x
05-21-2007, 01:04 AM
Check the compression just cross that off the list. If that checks out ok i'd say it 's the 200x carb/fuel problem. Have you checked/cleaned the petcock?

ceaserthethird
05-21-2007, 01:12 AM
Make sure your fuel lines are clear , or replace them.

Check the Filter in the Gas Tank .

Check the vent in the fuel cap is working .

there might be a Screen filter also on the Carbuator , ( My ATC 70 Does - 4 stroke )

bigreddaddy
05-21-2007, 01:20 AM
All great replies. Maybe the popping sound is from a plugged header pipe. Run your finger or a rag in the open end of the pipe and if there is a lot of black carbon. If so the pipe could be plugged. What happened to the muffler?

team-red-rider
05-21-2007, 06:59 AM
the petcock is new he got a new one off me ...and the carb was tested and working before being returned....im thinking valves or timing dude...if it started that one time it has enough compresion to run

filipinoredneck
05-21-2007, 10:15 AM
If its back firing, you got some timing issues. Make sure the timing marks line up. When it dies, do you check your plug? is it dry, wet, or soaked. If its wet, your loosing spark, if its dry, your loosing fuel, If your soaked, your carb is flooding out your engine. Have you changed to a new plug. Ive had bad plugs right out of the package for my cars before. Keep at it buddy. Don't loose hope. This is why its fun.:beer

honda_atc200es
05-21-2007, 06:38 PM
well im positive it is getting gas, the question is how much gas, i check the plug and it is usually black but not soaked unless i put gas in the plug hole. spark plug is great almost brand new, i just checked the spark, and it definately burns gas. muffler even gets hot just trying to elec start it. muffler has a bunch of holes in it, and the back of it is plugged, so i figured might as well take it off, reason i kept the 200x jets in the carb is because i have no air filter or muffler, and when i dop get both, it will be higher airflow, so im one step ahead ;)

filipinoredneck
05-21-2007, 09:04 PM
You shouldn't have a black plug. It should be brown in colour. I had a sparkplug that would spark when I check it out of the engine and cranked it over. As soon as fuel came into contact with it, it didn't work at all. I threw another new plug in it and went riding. Have you checked the gap on your pulse generator. This acts like a distributor cap on a car engine. I just had somewhat of a similar problem on my suzuki sidekick. It would run for a while. but as soon as it gets really hot, I would loose ignition. What happened is the cap and rotor was fouled up good. When it got too hot, I would loose the gap between the rotor and cap and would loose spark to all my plugs. It would only happen when it got too hot. You could also have a faulty pulse generator or your ignition coil is starting to go on you. Check that gap first and go from there. Good luck..

honda_atc200es
05-21-2007, 09:54 PM
thanks, actually thats what i was hoping, that it is something with the pulse generator or coil. i just want a definate answer so i know what i need to do, hopefully i can take the bike to my cousin so he can fix it

Erics350x
05-21-2007, 10:25 PM
have you checked the flywheel key.

honda_atc200es
05-22-2007, 03:52 PM
no i have not, is it something i can do with the right fender still on? (bolt is stripped, pissin me off)

timex69
05-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Alright, do the following to narrow down your problems

make sure your getting spark
make sure your getting fuel (wet/dry plug)
do you have compression

Check your timing, i dont know where the peep hole is on the hondas but on the yamahas its a cap on top of the stator cover. While you have the cam chain exposed, make sure its tight to eliminate the chance of it jumping time. Also check the cam sprocket and chain for wear.

Sometimes these motors shear the flywheel key, so pull the fly wheel with a set of pullers(dont try and beat it off with a hammer) and check the keyway.

Check and recheck your carb settings and clean the carb spotless

Ill almost put money on it that its the timing if you can get it to run for short periods of time, or that it isnt getting or is getting to much fuel.

Try those things i listed above and get back to us.

honda_atc200es
05-25-2007, 03:42 PM
Alright, do the following to narrow down your problems
i got spark
plug is wet
yes it has compression

timing is the hard part, i cant get the peep hole cover off, and the cam chain tensioner requires the engine to run in order to adjust it

idk how to check the flywheel

il definately check the carb

would vapor lock cause this?

Try those things i listed above and get back to us.

3Wheelers4Life
05-25-2007, 03:45 PM
to get the peep hole cover off try spraying some wd-40 on it, let it sit 5 minutes, and turn it with a screwdriver, while hitting it with a hammer, mine was hard too, thats how i did it. check the carb, clean it

honda_atc200es
05-25-2007, 03:58 PM
thanks that thing is a pian to get off, it sux i have to wait till sunday before i can work on it again

Scooter77
06-06-2007, 09:51 PM
One of my 110s did the same thing, It would go for a bit then stop. The problem was the intake valve needed to be adjusted. Also it could be your timing. Place your hand over the intake if possible (with the carb off) and manualy turn the engine over, If it sucks and then blows out either your timing is off or again your valves need to be adjusted. Hope this helps, My 110 gave me hell but i got it going eventualy.

honda_atc200es
06-07-2007, 06:42 PM
im thinkin that exact thing, yes it does suck and blow ( hahahahaha) and i was also thinknig valves and timing, i am not sure on how to adjust it, so im gonna try to pass it around my friends to see if they can fix it, better spendin 20 for repair, then 200+ at a shop

honda_atc200es
06-10-2007, 11:54 AM
i dont think i can wait for my friends to fix my bike so i was wondering if someone could give me detailed step by step instructions on how to check and adjust valves, how to check the pluse generator and cdi and other timing related issues, my brother just banned me from his quad (THAT I FIXED USING MY BATTERY AND SPARK PLUGS) and im goin through withdrawl. also a list of required tools would be helpful, thanx in advanced