PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever used a sealant in place of a gasket for centercases?

Billy Golightly
05-20-2007, 08:18 PM
Like threebond, Yamabond, etc?

Bryan Raffa
05-20-2007, 08:22 PM
Like threebond, Yamabond, etc?

if you talkin a honda..250R it needs the gaskit because it acts as a shim for the internals.. the cases will squeeze too tight on the internals and tear it up..;)

Billy Golightly
05-20-2007, 08:32 PM
I thought about that right after I hit the post button. Probably needs the thickness from the gasket for all the gears and stuff to align.

BigGreenMachine
05-20-2007, 08:42 PM
I use gasket maker on the Tecate case halves as they require no gasket.

350Xhilaration
05-20-2007, 09:14 PM
I can't offer any suggestions as far as needing the gasket as "shim" but I know Honda manual transmissions on cars use Hondabond between the halves of the cases to seal from the factory and after being split and repaired. (at least they did on all the years I worked on them)

erectordale
05-20-2007, 10:48 PM
the Rotax cases use hondabond or yamabond no gaskets made for them

Dirtcrasher
05-20-2007, 10:49 PM
I don't care for the sealant alone theory. I'm repairing a 2000 KX125 as we speak that is leaking from the center case. I can't find any case flaws or damage, I guess the kawabond failed. I'd much rather have a gasket.

Were you just in a hurry with no gasket on hand or why did you want to use just sealer??

Billy Golightly
05-20-2007, 11:02 PM
pretty much Dirtcrasher. I was just curious that in the event of I had to re-assemble without a gasket because I didn't have one, if it would be plausible to even try it.

Erics350x
05-21-2007, 01:10 AM
You'll be fine if you let it tack up first, then hand tighten and let it set for an hour or so before applying torque. BTW Threebond is a great product.

ceaserthethird
05-21-2007, 03:01 PM
Love the ThreeBond !

90nut
05-21-2007, 07:13 PM
I am a believer that gasket maker is no replacement for the actual gasket but in a pinch it'll work. My buddy and I rebuilt his crf450 and used yamabond on the case halves and it worked fine for about three months. Started leaking again but this is on a race only mx bike. If ya have to do it it'll work for ya.

InPiEcEs
05-21-2007, 10:37 PM
If it has a gasket, I would use one.
I'm willing to bet that the clearances are set with the gasket, at the proper torque.
Some machines simply use sealer, like a lot of sleds.
I think I would play it safe and get the gasket.
For places that require sealant, I agree with Erics350X. I also like the Threebond stuff. It's never failed me.

oscarmayer
05-21-2007, 11:16 PM
I can't offer any suggestions as far as needing the gasket as "shim" but I know Honda manual transmissions on cars use Hondabond between the halves of the cases to seal from the factory and after being split and repaired. (at least they did on all the years I worked on them)

still do! :)

Bryan Raffa
05-21-2007, 11:17 PM
he has one comeing in the mail:D

sandpuppi101
05-22-2007, 08:00 AM
Billy ,I personally would'nt suggest it for a long term solution,reason being,I just completed a 250X quad motor,when I split the casses the gasket material was all over the lower unit,it even worked it's way to the clutch side and by the oil pump port ,and was loaded with that crap down by the screen,thus oil was restricted ,wasted the head and the piston blew up inside like a grenade,which I think the culprate was the sealant..I know the R motor is different than the 250 thumper motor ,but I am just telling ya what happened on that particular motor..