PDA

View Full Version : auto 200x with tecate axle

Nick_R_23
05-18-2007, 12:53 AM
Some of you know I had the 185R, a 185 with an 83/84 250R front end on it. Well a while back the motor died and I took the front end off to see how they had managed to stuff it on the frame... well lets just say it wasnt pretty...it would be better and a lot easier if I used a 200x frame and swinger and make an auto X.

I got thinking of what to use, 200x triples, bored to fit the 250R forks. But what I was really interested in sticking on, was the 85 Tecate rear end, complete with 10" aluminum rims. I looked at the bearing sizes for both machines, and to my suprise, both the 84/85 200x and the 85 Tecate use the EXACT SAME bearings!!! Now my question is, even though they have the same bearings, will the tecate axle fit in a 200x carrier widthwise? Im not too concerned about the sprocket lineup, thats what washers are for. Has anyone noticed or even attempted this before??? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

-Nick

70ATC90
05-18-2007, 03:01 AM
Be a pioneer! Do it!

scooterroo
05-18-2007, 07:52 AM
now that would be the beginnings of a mutt. call it a hondasaki.

Nick_R_23
05-18-2007, 01:41 PM
Well Im definately gonna do it (or at least try it :D ) , I have everything I need laying around, the 250R forks, Tecate rear end, 185 stuff, all I need is the 200x frame and swinger, I have a giant arse shock to stick under it off a yamaha superbike. I know where several 200x frames are, I just need to go ask about them. I also have a 81/82 250R tank, that would fit on a 200x frame, right? I think Ive seen it done before.

How hard would it be to make 185 fenders fit the 200x frame? I have the old set, they were broken where it comes down over the front of the tires, I trimmed one side down, and I was thinking of doing the other side to make it even and give it the low profile look.

Hey, I even know where a purple 200x frame is, how do you think that would look? :lol: :w00t:

Oh, one more thing, did the tecate use the same kind of chain as a 200x?

-Nick :TrikesOwn

ATCWRENCH
05-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Well I can say for the front end you will save yourself a whole bunch of headaches by actually swapping the whole 83/4R front end over to the X frame instead of boring the X triples to fit the R fork tubes. Both the 83/4R and 83-5X use the same style of steering lock. I believe the steering stem length's and sizes are the same for both bikes. If not it would be really easy to swap out the steering shafts from both triples. If they are the same then it would be nothing to get a steering stem bearing kit for the R and install it into the X frame. I had thought about doing the swap as I have the parts but I'm more interested in getting the motor rebuilt in my X before the front end swap.

Nick_R_23
05-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Well I had planned on boring them out, because the R forks have tapered bearings, and the X forks are ball, so I could use the X triples with R forks. So you are saying I can get a bearing kit to use the R forks with ball bearings? Now that I think about it, could I just use X races on the R triples?

ATCWRENCH
05-18-2007, 03:23 PM
Well I had planned on boring them out, because the R forks have tapered bearings, and the X forks are ball, so I could use the X triples with R forks. So you are saying I can get a bearing kit to use the R forks with ball bearings? Now that I think about it, could I just use X races on the R triples?

If your can, measure the outside of the X bearing race. Once you have that number call allballs racing and ask them for the outside diameter of the R bearing race. If they are the same then you can install a tapered bearing set in the X frame for the R forks. It probably wouldnt hurt to measure the length of both steering shafts to see if they are the same and measure bearing surface in which the bearings set on. If the stems are identical then it will be a direct swap and you can upgrade to tapered bearings instead of loose ball bearings.

Nick_R_23
05-18-2007, 03:32 PM
Yeah Ill definately look into that. So all it is, is a kit to make the 200x accept tapered bearings? But I was thinking wouldnt it just be easier to use 200x bearing races on the R forks, I can get a set of X triples with the frame, I could just use the races and balls already there?

erectordale
05-18-2007, 04:50 PM
the 83/84 r forks are the same diameter as the 200x my e.t trike has 83/84 r tripples 350x forks and 86 200x hub/wheel with a 86 250r front brake caliper 350x master cylinder it all fit with all most no shimming we used a 86 r front steering tube and it all works

ATCWRENCH
05-18-2007, 04:58 PM
Yeah Ill definately look into that. So all it is, is a kit to make the 200x accept tapered bearings? But I was thinking wouldnt it just be easier to use 200x bearing races on the R forks, I can get a set of X triples with the frame, I could just use the races and balls already there?

Yea the kit has the races, bearings and seals. The 83-6 250R's use the same bearing kit. The 81-2R's and the 83-5 200X's use the same kit, but they might use the same size bearing, just a different size race. Thats why I say measure it up first. I'd even call and ask them if the bearings are the same, if they are then get a kit for the X and install the bearings on the R stem and mount it up.

I can pretty much garuntee the ball bearings that are in the X frame are factory. They probably have never been re-greased since the bike was new, and if left ungreased in the elements, moisture does wonderful things to untreated steel. But I have to step back and tell myself that you are the one building the bike and you are the one implementing the decisions. If you have anymore questions, post them up, if I cant answer them I'm sure someone can.

I meant to say this earlier, even though the T3 axle and the X axle use the same bearings, is the bearing to bearing width the same for both bikes?

ATCWRENCH
05-18-2007, 05:00 PM
the 83/84 r forks are the same diameter as the 200x my e.t trike has 83/84 r tripples 350x forks and 86 200x hub/wheel with a 86 250r front brake caliper 350x master cylinder it all fit with all most no shimming we used a 86 r front steering tube and it all works

This is a first to me Dale. I measured my 83R forks and they are 35mm just like the 350X and when I measured my X forks they were either 30 or 32mm in diameter.

erectordale
05-18-2007, 06:26 PM
I have all 4 types of forks here most of my 200x stuff is 86 but I have a few early x as well I lined all the differant parts up too chose and assemble this if you want I can get pics

ATCWRENCH
05-18-2007, 06:54 PM
I have all 4 types of forks here most of my 200x stuff is 86 but I have a few early x as well I lined all the differant parts up too chose and assemble this if you want I can get pics

Na, it's not that important to me Dale. Now I do know the 83-4R and the 85-6 350X forks are the same size but the 350X has slightly shorter travel than the R, I think like a half an inch or less.

Nick_R_23
05-18-2007, 07:30 PM

Actually, If you could measure and see of 83-85 200x and 83-84 250R forks are the same diameter, I would appreciate that a lot.

If I remember right, I thought that 200x was 35mm and that the 250r forks were 39mm. Racers used to bore out the 200x triples and put 250r forks on them as an upgrade.

I know this guy who says he has a 200x frame, all complete except motor and wheels. Brand new shock on the rear. If he doesnt want too much for it, Ill grab that, because it has the 200x triples, shock, plastics, etc.

Nick_R_23
05-19-2007, 03:15 AM
Oh yeah, someone replied to my post on craigslist for wanting a 200x frame, its all complete except for the motor and wheels. He wants 30$ for it!!!! :w00t: So theres my frame and swinger. He says its got a brand new shock, so I might just keep that one on there. Gonna go try and pick it up tomorrow, get started on this monster.

Nick_R_23
05-20-2007, 06:32 PM
Well I went and got the frame yesterday, it was a little less complete then the guy said it was, but it was what I was wanting in the first place. The frame is actually a 1985, not a 1983 like he said it was. Came with the axle and forks, but the triples are messed up so Im definately gonna have to use the R ones. The tecate axle is the same size as a 200x one, but the bearing width is too great and would either make it uneven or the sprocket wouldnt line up, so I think Ill just stick with the stock axle.

Ill post a pic up later, but they did something to the frame that made me think a little. I know what they were trying to do, but Im not sure they would have made it work, but if they had finished it, I bet it wouldve screamed!!

Nick_R_23
05-20-2007, 08:20 PM
Well heres the pics I took a few minutes ago...I took the rear end off because it was getting in my way.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Nick_R_23/MVC-003F-3.jpg

Heres an upclose of whats different on this frame...I know what its off of, but can anyone else guess? Hint- its gonna make sticking that 185 motor in a hell of a job.

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k28/Nick_R_23/MVC-004F-4.jpg

More pics is it gets put back together!!!!