PDA

View Full Version : Tri-Z Waterpump seal

J.D.
05-02-2003, 11:20 PM
Ok I think it's official. After running my Z about 1 1/2 hours this afternoon, I basically had a greyish-pinkish tint crap flowing out my crankcase breather/overflow tube nonstop. After I shut it off it made some kind of a hiss, spit some more out, and stopped. I think I have water leakage into my crankcase. I've got a Haynes manual for the Z, but it tells nothing about changing the seal. How hard is it? What is involved? Any tips and insight would be appreciated. Thanks

YAMAHA_Jim
05-02-2003, 11:39 PM
Tri-Z waterpump seal,,,,,,Drain oil,Remove right footpeg and rear brake,remove kickstarter,remove right side engine case,(cant remember if impeller has to come off first),be careful not to damage the gasket.then remove the old seal w/ a screw driver or other suitable tool,then press in the new one.Now put it all back 2gether. Tri-Z Jim notes this is a half ass set of instructions and will not be held liable for damages. :) Good luck

J.D.
05-03-2003, 12:01 AM
F@@k you have to remove the right-side case? I really, really, really didn't want to have to do that. I guess the Z is going to be sitting for a while :\\(

YAMAHA_Jim
05-03-2003, 12:40 AM
Bring it here,I'll do it. engine case is only 6 or 8 allen bolts(5 or 6 mm),only thing that might fall out of place is the kickstart gear,its easy to put back in. NO PROBLEMO I've done it a few times.

J.D.
05-03-2003, 10:35 AM
2,500 miles is a looooooong ways to go just to have a waterpump seal changed ;)

Airline ticket(round trip)
300 dollars
New Waterpump seal
15 dollars
engine freight
who knows
seeing two sweet ass Z's in person
priceless
:D

TimSr
05-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Its a 30 minute job. If you own a TriZ youll get good at it, because its the same procedure to rerplace the impeller.

J.D.
05-03-2003, 12:52 PM
You make it sound like it's a yearly routine or something TimSr. It doesn't go bad that often does it?