PDA

View Full Version : New clutch - or reinstall ? ATC 200 185

rally4x4racer
05-10-2007, 11:16 PM
I can not afford a new clutch - and this is the wifes trike - so I am wondering.......

How much is .010"?? The haynes says it should be .170" with a wear limit of .160" on the centrifigul clutch shoes - HOWEVER- in some places my shoes measure as low as .150", and in others they are new (.170")

Is this (wear limit) just there to keep the mechanics in business - or does the clutch actually start slipping at this point? (I have never ran the engine)

How vital is the role of the centrifigul clutch? The semi-auto plates measure OVER what they are supposed to (maybe aftermarket) -so they are good. ----------this is the wife's trike and I doubt she will be riding it that hard.

Would you replace it?

crackshot
05-11-2007, 07:40 AM
what is it doing? slipping on takeoff or when you are rolling and get it in higher gear , gas it, then slips?

rally4x4racer
05-11-2007, 04:46 PM
never had the engine in anything - so I do not know how it acts.

If I knew how it was running I would definately use that for my decision. It just seems odd that .010 or .020 would make it slip.

I am sure Honda engineers did the test - but I doubt I am getting perfect information - especially as a consumer.

rally4x4racer
05-13-2007, 04:52 PM
I did not get what I wanted (someone telling me they dont slip until about .130")
(It is always worth a shot.)
The primary clutches measure fine but they are probably old and soft. - I sprung for both sets.
might as well fix it now - while it is all apart.