PDA

View Full Version : Checking a motors vital signs when your compression guage is broken.

70ATC90
05-10-2007, 12:06 AM
...Any ideas?

rustyhondas
05-10-2007, 05:22 PM
well it should be a little hard to pull it over or kick it over. it should sort off fight you and want to bounce back if you let go a little half way through the compresion stroke.

it should run. that would be a good indicator that things are OK

if you are getting spark and it won't start you can spray starting fluid in it. if it starts then it is not compresion keeping it from running it is fuel related.

if it makes good power and does not burn oil "make blueish smoke" then there ain;t nothing wrong with anything.

blue27
05-10-2007, 06:31 PM
pull the plug and put you finger over the spark plug hole (not in it, lol) and then pull over the motor, it should blow your finger off the hole. its not accurate but is a basic baseline to get you started

70ATC90
05-10-2007, 09:54 PM
Okay, its not running now. I put my finger over the hole, it kind of sucked my finger in and then blew it back out as you said, but not super hard, and pull starting it isn't very hard either. But I do know it has spark becuase it shocked the sh1t out of my hand.

rally4x4racer
05-10-2007, 11:57 PM
If you toss the trike in the truck and hit Autozone - they should have a gauge you can use. - you may want to call first to make sure there is a loaner.

70ATC90
05-11-2007, 11:56 AM
Yeah, I dunno if the guy would let me just take it. I wanna but it but I don't have time for a total engine rebuild.