PDA

View Full Version : idoling problems!! :(

dim3bag
05-09-2007, 09:16 PM
:( i have a 1984 honda 200x. I just cleaned the gas tank to get the majority of rust out. i hooked up a paper fuel filter to the fuel line. i thoroughly cleaned the carborator with "chem dip" and carb cleaner. I made sure that every hole in every jet was perfect. The Carb was perfect. When i started it up, it was revving too high so i adjusted the idol screw. when it would start to sound good, it would bog down after about 10 seconds. There is a screw on the bottom of the carb that i think adjusts the air and fuel mixture. i dont know how many turns it needs to be. When i took it out i forgot how many turns it was. I can never keep this ATC idoling for longer than 20 seconds at a good RPM. The only thing that is kind of messed up is the very bottom of the slide. There is a few divots on the bottom but i dont think it has anything to do with it. Does anyone know whats wrong??

Thanks, dim3bag

xman23
05-09-2007, 10:29 PM
mine does the same thing, also will your idle good once it gets warmed up after riding it for about 5 min?

o yea you should have posted this in the trike section it would get looked at more

dim3bag
05-09-2007, 11:03 PM
actually, even when i do run it for a little, once i hold the clutch down or put it in neutral, it still bogs and dies. alrite ill put it on the trick forum

bnbpowersports
05-10-2007, 12:14 AM
you should be roughly 1 1/2-2 turns out from all the way in(on the air screw) just turn the air screw all the way in then turn it out 1-1 1/2 times out(counter clockwise) then start it turn the air screw out till it starts to bog then turn it in till it starts to bog then split the difference roughly 2 full turns lean (first warm it up, a lil stop and go for about 10 min will suffice, you must ride it after each adjustment, its best to do 1/4 turns then ride it dont tune it by sound and test only to about 1/4-1/3 throttle thats where the air screw and pilot jet operate at any more throttle and you get into the main jet and that aint gonna fix your idleing problem, once youve tuned it in then adjust your idle screw. hopefully that will fix your problem, if not theres 4 other ways to lean/richen (tune) your carb. all work at different throttle openings

dim3bag
05-10-2007, 12:19 AM
Thanks alot. ill try that tomorrow and ill let you know if it works

dim3bag
05-14-2007, 12:23 AM
i tried this method and it wasnt working. so i took it to our local "bike doctor" so he could figure out the problem. i should figure out what is wrong in a few more days

hoopduerr
05-17-2007, 02:51 PM
Dim, let me know what you found out. I am having the same problem and I just ended up taking my trike to my local atv doctor...

Levithan
05-17-2007, 02:58 PM
My auto X wont idle for more than a minute either. I would just pull the start and revv it up a bit, then kick it into first and ride. Gets a little hard to start when its warm, but you just gotta make sure that you have your thumb on the gas when you start it. I think this is how most of the trikes tend to work out. Good luck guys!

ceaserthethird
05-17-2007, 03:44 PM
Any Up-Dates on Tuning ?

filipinoredneck
05-17-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm not too sure if it is the same problem but I had the same situation with my ytm200 4stroke. What eventually happened was my piston and rings went . The person who rebuilt it last before I got it, put an undersized piston and rings in it. It was undersized by .030. I rebuilt it and everything is running great now. She idles like thumper.:beer

sandNJ
02-14-2011, 05:50 PM
i have an act 250r that runs fine but doesn't idle as soon as i let go of the trottle it stalls how can i fix this