PDA

View Full Version : My 1st atc and I need some help.

Joshs
05-05-2007, 10:48 PM
A friend of mines father gave me a old 85 big red three wheeler. It has been sitting in the back of his shed for a long time. IT is a 250 shaft drive. I took it apart with the help of my dad and cleaned the tank, carb and air filter.

I went to try to drive it and it wont move, the rear end is not turning over. The spines on the axle and the rear gear is stripped out. I was hoping someone here could point me in a direction to get a replacement. New is out of the question, I am on 16 and my work for Mcdonalds is only about 50.00 a week. I tried a junk yard here local and the guy would only sell me a whole parts 3 wheeler for 700.00. If you know of a online source or online atv salvage yard that might have this fairly cheap I would be very thanksfull.

I tried doing a search on internet this is about the only place that even talked about them. I am certain I need a axle and a rear end. Thanks a ton in advance.

SYKO
05-05-2007, 10:52 PM
whoo hooo!! welcome to the boards gringO!!!! check ebay I just sold a 250es axle, sorry, im sure a few members here may have one for ya!

also I do beleive they still have a rebuild kit for the rear end differential still wich mainly consists of new bearings and seals insted of a complete rear end post a want add in the classifieds to see if any one else may have one

team-red-rider
05-05-2007, 10:53 PM
same exact thing was wrong with my old ES ....try ebay or the classifieds....im also 16

ATC-Eric
05-06-2007, 01:54 AM
Welcome to the boards homeboy!

Congrats on the free bike! I would check the classifieds here, start a thread. 3WW members will help you out however they can. I think (unless you find a good deal on ebay) this will be the best place to find cheap parts.

good luck, and keep us posted.

Eric

Joshs
05-06-2007, 03:02 AM
Thank for the tip on classifieds, seems like alot of people use that. I hope I have luck and someone has the parts i need. I have been polishing and cleaning the thing since I cannot ride it. It has broken plastic and rusty parts but looks good to me.

My uncle says he will take me to Winrock this summer when I get it going.

While I am waiting any advice on what I should do to it since it has been sitting a while. I ran it for about 10 minutes to let it get warm, changed the oil. Changed the spark plug, cleaned the air filter and carb.

filipinoredneck
05-06-2007, 07:02 AM
Do you have a manual. If you don't dammit (board member) has some you could download. This is very helpful. I have had great dealings with www.hyperparts.com . They seem to have a lot of stuff you would need. Also post a WTB thread in the classified section and members will respond. All the guys are great to deal with here. Welcome aboard and good luck!:beer

hublake
05-06-2007, 07:19 AM
I have a reproduction owners manual, if you need one PM me your address and I will send it to you free of charge. I have just completed the resortation of my 85 BR.

chris200x
05-06-2007, 08:36 AM
If I'm not mistaken you can also use the rear end off an atc 250SX or a honda trx quad. they are a bit diffrent gearing but should bolt on. ;)

Joshs
05-06-2007, 12:38 PM
I looked on ebay there are a few rear ends on there. No axles though as of now. I do have a service manual I dowloaded in computer form. Thanks for the offers.

hondaatcvabeach
05-07-2007, 08:37 AM
You could try this guy. I have never used him but there are others in here who have recomended him. Make shure you email him, his websight is not up to date http://www.vintagemotorsports.net/used_parts.htm